Headlight Modulator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Who is running or has run a headlight modulator? Did you or do you feel it is a beneficial risk management tool? Did you find it to affect the longevity of your headlight bulbs?

Bill,

I have used a Kisan Pathblazer on my 2006 since new and believe it is an excellent visibility tool. It is effective at catching the eye of soccer moms on their cellphones so they don't pull out in front of you or make a left turn through you. I have not had to replace a headlight yet so I guess they don't affect longevity of the bulbs. I also have the trailblazer tailight flashers. I would not operate a motorcycle without these visibility enhancers.

Ed

Last bike I had one on was an 84 Ninja GPZ900R. I'd have folks pulling over to the shoulder, thinking I was the po-po.
smile.png

Since the headlight is off half the time (flashing) I'd guess it's fair to say your headlight's life would be doubled.
tongue.png

I'm glad people get good life out of their bulbs. I would think that the filament metal stresses from stretching and shrinkage each on/off cycle would shorten life.

I'm also glad no one rides behind me with those things. I'd probably get p o'd.

Whether it's a modulator or a neon green helmet, gonna have to do something. After driving a larger police model with big white fairing, going to a red FJR feels a little on the invisible side. Thanks for your insights.

(1) I'm glad people get good life out of their bulbs. I would think that the filament metal stresses from stretching and shrinkage each on/off cycle would shorten life.
(2) I'm also glad no one rides behind me with those things. I'd probably get p o'd.
(2) headlight modulators annoy me to no end, please don't follow me with your modulator on, car or bike

(2a) Consider LED driving lights, they do work really well and add a brake light flasher to the back.

(1) Federal code specifies how the filament is turned off so that the filament never completely shuts off and preserves the filament's life.

Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 40 cycles per minute.

(b ) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

(c ) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2

(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.

(b ) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Alan. I know nothing about bulbs, so that is beyond anything I know. I do know that you can have premature fatigue related fracture in metals just from the variation of stresses from high to medium, or high to low stresses. It's clear that anecdotal evidence by some indicates that fatigue does not seem to be an issue.

There seem to be some great lighting options without annoying the bejesus out of the cagers/mcy riders you are following. That being said, I use high beams when travelling on 2 lane roads when I am not following cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan as others.

Try upgrading your headlights to real HID's. You will get noticed. Maybe add a low powered (or dimmed Erica/Darla etc) LED in a lower position to give the triangle effect?

I love mine. I have it on the high beams only, so I just use low beams in traffic and switch to high beams when I feel necessary. I won't switch to the HIDs I have in the garage so that I can keep my modulator. IMHO....

worney

That's a pretty good idea....

I love mine. I have it on the high beams only, so I just use low beams in traffic and switch to high beams when I feel necessary. I won't switch to the HIDs I have in the garage so that I can keep my modulator. IMHO....
worney

I have had one on all my bikes. Gets noticed, and some cagers even pull over to let me by. I don't care why, just happy to be motoring along on my way.

I turn it off on request for group rides.

I have the Kisan on my '05 and I like it. I do not use it when I am following someone, car or motorcycle, because I know it is annoying. On the other hand, I have seen many drivers take a second look before pulling out in front of me because they saw the lights modulating. I believe it is an inexpensive tool which can save you from a crash. I have not noticed and difference in how long a headlight lamp lasts with or without the modulator.

had mine since day 1,dont like it,remember its getting attention for you in front to.stare ahead and not in your mirror.quit whining.

I have Kisan modulators.. High beam only, so I can choose when I want to run em... Those that they annoy better not get too annoyed, I pack a .45. Why let a little thing get you angry.. Anger management class anyone? LOL

I'm not sure what packing a 45 has to do with annoying people. But you obviously haven't ridden in front of a modulator on a group ride. If you ever do, be sure to bring your anger management and not your 45.

More often than not, this topic gets into some kind of heated discussion. It's relatively mild on this forum (so far) but keep it up fellerz.

And maybe he means that he brings his Colt 45 Malt Liquor? ;)