A Pause Before Winter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
Today the seasons briefly paused before the big change. The sky was clear and the sun was bright and we enjoyed temperatures around 70 degrees. Tonight a huge cold front is due to pass through which will drive our temperatures down into the mid 30s tomorrow. But today was special.

I had to take care of some details this morning. Had a second promising interview yesterday, and I was contacted for references. I replied to that while carefully concealing my involvement with fellow motorcycle reprobates, and when that was finally done, it was time to enjoy what remained of the day.

I decided to go to Ohiopyle in the Laural Highlands, and I used the "curvy roads" feature on the Zumo 590 to see where it would take me. The curvy roads routing is in no hurry to take you to a destination, and takes some interesting choices. I started out on the twisting roads near home that are familiar, and a few that were not. The GPS eventually plopped me in the middle of Greensburg PA which is the Westmoreland County seat.

DSC_1425Resized.jpg

Pretty soon the congestion of town gave way again to the countryside of the Laural Highlands towards Connellsville. The sun at a low angle worked with the trees to flicker and strobe as I rode along.

DSC_1426Resized.jpg

DSC_1431Resized.jpg

At these higher elevations, all the leaves are off the trees. Down lower there was still some random color. These woodlands are punctuated by the deep green leaves of the Mountain Laurel that grow through the area. They look like giant Rhodadendrons.

DSC_1430Resized.jpg

Good weather, pavement and no traffic. Works for me, even on this roundabout route that took me south of Connelsville to a remote Furnace Road, Kentuck Road, and eventually to the steep long grade dropping to the Youghiogheny River at Ohiopyle.

DSC_1434Resized.jpg

The river at Ohiopyle has some notable waterfalls and rapids. There are lots of rafting companies that let groups rent rafts and drift on the less dangerous parts of the river.

DSC_1440Resized.jpg

A little more color in the fast setting sun.

DSC_1442Resized.jpg

DSC_1443Resized.jpg

Gratuitous shot of the finest Gen I bike ever made.

DSC_1445Resized.jpg

If it wasn't so late in the day, I would have done a house tour, but not today...name the famous Architect.

DSC_1448Resized.jpg

All good things come to an end, and as I approached home, the day was done, as was this temporary pause in the seasons. Time to celebrate with a couple beers.

DSC_1450Resized.jpg

Frank L. Wright?

Looked like a beautiful ride, though it looks cold in the photos.

Even at 10:30 PM here it is still in the mid-60s tonight. So an exceptionally warm day in spite of appearances. The front is now near the Ohio /PA border, and should pass in a couple hours. We've been hearing from members in the midwest that the weather to come isn't so fun.

Big fan or Mr. Wright's architecture, and now a fan of your photo skills. Bike looks pretty badass without the bags, doesn't it?

Late season rides are the best, especially when it's the calm before the storm!

Thanks for taking us along Tom.

--G

Nice, Tom. Time to wax your skis now.
I have a season pass to 7-Springs, but it's a lot different from Tahoe! Hope you enjoy your season and get some snow on the ground. This November ride is far eclipsed by the ride I took over Ebbetts Pass on January 14, 2012 in a low tide Sierra year with Puppychow, MadMike2, Bugnatr, Sacramento Mike and others. That pass should be long closed, even by November, and there we were in mid-January.

EbbettsPass055.jpg

EbbettsPass057.jpg

December 18, 2012 on Donner Summit, a repeat performance. I missed the low 2013-2014 snow year, but again, no appreciable snow on the summit. You guys need some snow!

nosnow050.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff Tom, that was a fun day in 12. You even posted up a pic of my 04,sniff. It was a good machine.

No s now yet but some moisture is coming tonight and next week.

Nice RR Tom...I probably should have also taken advantage of the warm temps yesterday...actually I should have rode to work today, high of 37, and no snow till late tonight.

Nice report there Tom.

I passed through the Laurel Highlands during the fall of 2004. Beautiful steep roads around there. A hurricane or two about that time affected my travels, but Laurel Highlands were great.

Thanks for posting.

BTW, I even recognized that Minnesotan/Bugnatr through that helmet. Ugly guy, but nice 2004 you had there.

Thanks for the Ride Report Tom. Great pictures!

Since I took my last ride of the season on Sunday afternoon at 36F, I am envious of your beautiful riding da, but glad you got it!

Nice, Tom. Time to wax your skis now.
I have a season pass to 7-Springs, but it's a lot different from Tahoe! Hope you enjoy your season and get some snow on the ground.

You guys need some snow!
Indeed, we do.

I recognized The locations in all those pics, but it's an abomination that Mosquito Lake looked like that in January. I missed that ride, as it was 2 weeks post hernia (sustained when moving my gun safe and fixed four months later), but that was the start of the current stretch of really bad snow years. Hoping for better this year and really sorry you and I never got to ski together. If we ever have snow again and you're out here, we'll have to rectify that.

I have a pass at Sugar Bowl again which includes 3 days at Squaw or Alpine this year. My number one ski buddy is moving to Telluride in December and I'll really miss skiing with her out here, but she's insisting that I come back for a week or two there (it's probably my favorite mountain anywhere). I'm getting too old to suffer any more ski seasons wiped out by drought conditions. ('Bout now I'm looking for a snowblower that the snow gods might accept as a sacrifice in a snow dance ritual.)

Love the Ohio Pyle State Park region
smile.png
Thanks Tom for the RR, I'm def a PA fan! and you brought back some nice memories and landscapes
smile.png

1403810631549_zps33abc712.jpg

Wine Guy expressing his love for PA!

1403790194170_zpsa938087a.jpg

I will be putting on my annual "Penn Run" in Wellsboro PA this Memorial Day. We have a mix of Beemer and FJR guys. IT was a blast last year and I hope you can attend this year... I'll post up on it early spring.

Yes LKLD, Frank Loyd Wright home, now taken over and run by the State. We went there this past spring for the "Thunder in the Valley" Rally down in Johnstown.

20140626_160557_zpsa08adc5f.jpg

Love the Ohio Pyle State Park region
smile.png
Thanks Tom for the RR, I'm def a PA fan! and you brought back some nice memories and landscapes
smile.png

Wine Guy expressing his love for PA!

I will be putting on my annual "Penn Run" in Wellsboro PA this Memorial Day. We have a mix of Beemer and FJR guys. IT was a blast last year and I hope you can attend this year... I'll post up on it early spring.

Yes LKLD, Frank Loyd Wright home, now taken over and run by the State. We went there this past spring for the "Thunder in the Valley" Rally down in Johnstown.
I'll be sure to join you in Wellsboro. I went there earlier in October for the Fall colors in the Grand Canyon (Pine Creek) of PA. Beautiful area that I'd like to explore more.

10403722_10152557981838323_9168428228216105142_n.jpg