Moving to LA, Culver City from New Jersey - Shipping Company?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bestphotog

Reaction score
Moving to LA. Would like to ship my FJR soon. Does anyone here know a good company who can transport my FJR to LA from NJ?

Thank you

Best

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never shipped a bike but I know there are a lot of companies that specialize in the field thanks to the popularity of sites like Ebay and Cycle Trader.

When I moved cross country a few years ago in December, I transported my FJR in the back of my pickup.

One option I considered was storing it at a friends house and doing a fly and ride in the Spring. That would have been more fun.

A quick search shows that these companies have been used and recommended by people on this Forum:

u-ship

Federal Shipping

Forward Air

Eagle Express

Federal / Allied

haulbikes

JC Motors

motorcycleshippers

bevel heaven

Mototcycle Transport, Div of Allied Van Lines. (Federal Allied) 800-747-4100. I used them twice and they did a good job, no damage. They have special pallets used for motorcycles. One bike from PA to N. CA and the other from WY to N. CA.

Be careful when you get to Culver City, the robbery rate is rather high there. Best you not park your bike outside at night!!

Welcome to California, home of the best year-round riding in the USA** - and LEGAL lane-splitting!

**and plenty close to other SW states with excellent "off-season" conditions.

I used Forward Air before. Been a few years. Nothing happened to the bike, a Honda TransAlp. Nothing stood out as being special either. From Alaska to Newer Mexico was around $600

You may want to consider flying back and riding it because in order to register it here in CA, my understanding is you have to have 7500 miles on the ODO. I'd be happy to ride it back for you next spring, I've got family in North Jersey.

Lots of fantastic roads here.

You may want to consider flying back and riding it because in order to register it here in CA, my understanding is you have to have 7500 miles on the ODO. I'd be happy to ride it back for you next spring, I've got family in North Jersey.
Not to poop on your generous offer, Goat Boy, but that mileage requirement applies to bikes purchased used out of state and brought here. I'd check on the rules for bringing your own bike into CA after a move, even if it's low mileage. Seems like a different situation and I'd think the rules for that would be less restrictive. Or just ride it till you get the 7.5K.
smile.png

Not to poop on your generous offer, Goat Boy, but that mileage requirement applies to bikes purchased used out of state and brought here. I'd check on the rules for bringing your own bike into CA after a move, even if it's low mileage. Seems like a different situation and I'd think the rules for that would be less restrictive. Or just ride it till you get the 7.5K.
smile.png
Sorry Mike but we are talking Ca DMV, rules are rules! I believe that applies to all bikes and they must be at least 6 months old,wait till he finds out what it costs to register a bike here.

BTW Welcome to Ca, bring your check book?

I have shipped bikes using Allied, and was happy with the results. They actually pick up the bike in smaller vehicle with hydraulic lift gate, and deliver it to their warehouse, then complete the final delivery. This is the best way to go if you have a company move or are using a major mover for household goods.

Eagle Transport brought my buddy's bike from Iowa to CA. They directly load the bike in a large shipping trailer with 2-decks of other bikes, and it arrives at the destination in the same truck. The disadvantage is, that truck is often making an indirect route to deliver and pickup bikes along the way. The guy is great and does a continuous circuit of the U.S. but you bike may take longer to arrive. In the case of my friend's bike, it was picked up in Iowa, went to Maine, then down to Florida, and out to southern, CA and was finally dropped in Sacramento near Thanksgiving. I believe the owner lives in southern CA.

I have always found a way to ride the bike cross-country, and wouldn't hesitate to do that at almost any time of year except mid-winter. When I took a new job in PA in November, 2012, I returned in April, 2013 and rode the bike back in early Spring. I would have taken it in the first trip, but I needed a car and my clothing, which I moved first.

You're being given wrong information concerning registration or import of a new vehicle by a California resident. You were a resident of another state when you purchased your bike, and I presume it was registered to you in New Jersey. As a result, you need to follow requirements to transfer that registration to California. The age and mileage do not matter in this case. LINK to New Resident Vehicle Registration

If you have outstanding liens on any vehicles, be sure to contact the lienholder and obtain any information related to relocating the vehicle in another State. The title will continue to be held by them, and you need to be sure you don't need to refinance with a company that does business in CA. Same thing for Insurance. Make sure you can continue the policy in the new location, or start looking for a new policy. You will need to have title and insurance matters sorted out fairly quickly to meet California;s 20 day registration requirement. Don't fart around with DMV. If you are late registering any vehicles, penalties can be substantial!

TominCA is correct. As a resident of NJ moving to CA and bringing NJ reg vehicles you do not fall under the 7500 mile rule. I bought a bike from my Nephew in NC and in order to ride it to PA where my Mother lived I had the title and registration processed in my name using my nephew's NC address. I later had the bike shipped to CA. I took the bike, title, insurance proof, and NC registration to CA DMV and wallla, paid CA reg and license fee (no sales tax) and out the door. The bike had 2700 miles on the odo.

So from my experience I had quoted Federal door to door service for two motorcycles 800 miles. They had a 1 week transit time, included $15000 insurance per motorcycle and 10 day storage at destination. Oh and they also used these special platforms to anchor bikes to. Cost about $1100 with AMA discount.

United also offered to take my motorcycles. Less cost because it was part of a truck load, also because they base price off weight. Full value coverage based on their high dollar sheet. I want to say it was like half the price of federal.

I went with united. The method they used to ship the motorcycles seemed at first chaotic, One was over 600lb motorcycle + 2.5-3' wide walk up ramp + 3 dudes + 7' wide truck opening. And both Motorcycles were truck end loaded, so they had enough room for two motorcycle widths. They used so much clean padding everywhere. Just remember to run the fuel down and remove saddlebag and fold mirror. No scratch, no damage.