Gen 3 Cruise control comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
My Hondapotamas has factory cruise (I think all 1800 hippo's do).On a long ride in Nevada with a friend on his 01 I set my cruise at the same pace behind him on the open highway that also included some elevation changes. It was after 5 miles or so that I noticed our bikes held the exact same distance apart for the next thirty plus miles. Pyramid Lake to Gerlach. It's kind of weird to follow another bike at the exact same pace over a long distance.

My question is: have any of you gen 3burs with factory cruise ever paced each other the same pace/distance for miles on end?

95mph cause the 3's won't. Bawahahaha, you did lob me a softball Wheatie.

Actually it was about 67 mph gps, 70 indicated

Last edited by a moderator:
On a recent ride with me on our GL1800 Gold Wing and a buddy on my '13 FJR, we did notice that (once set) the bikes appeared to maintain distance. I also thought that to be a bit odd, all things considered.

If they were set on the same exact speed wouldn't you assume they would maintain distance?
unknw.gif

Although 30 miles is a long way with not a little variation.

...On a long ride in Nevada with a friend on his 01 I set my cruise at the same pace behind him on the open highway that also included some elevation change...It's kind of weird to follow another bike at the exact same pace over a long distance...
Boy, it's a mystery how the cruise controls were in synch
wink.png
I'm sure I see some elevation change, squint, squint, yup look at it.

nv376-1.jpg

Cruise controls use a form of a PID error controller (a math equation or circuit) to manage speed. The cruise has to have enough gain to keep up with elevation change or acceleration, enough 'stiffness' to hold a steady speed and enough damping that it won't oscillate (speed vary up an down by a small amount). The idea is to look at set speed and actual speed, then correct any error. By using a high pulse rate like the coil signal it becomes very accurate. The exact values used will be mostly dependent on vehicle power and weight. It sounds like the two bikes were able to do the math with similar accuracy.

On a recent ride with me on our GL1800 Gold Wing and a buddy on my '13 FJR, we did notice that (once set) the bikes appeared to maintain distance. I also thought that to be a bit odd, all things considered.
I tour with a friend on a GL1800, and we've gotten them awfully close like that, but it's just the luck of the draw. Even a quarter of a mph difference would translate to an eighth of a mile in 30 minutes.

When I'm following him I try to match his speed as close as possible then punch the button. I can get it pretty danged close.

I tour with a friend on a GL1800, and we've gotten them awfully close like that, but it's just the luck of the draw. Even a quarter of a mph difference would translate to an eighth of a mile in 30 minutes.

When I'm following him I try to match his speed as close as possible then punch the button. I can get it pretty danged close.
That's how it works best for me (us). If I am following I let lead set cruise, I match speed for a bit then "set". If I am leading, I set speed and followers set after matching speed for a bit. We work out this routine so we can cruise in comfort, placing our attention on other things while making tracks.

Dan

That's how it works best for me (us). If I am following I let lead set cruise, I match speed for a bit then "set". If I am leading, I set speed and followers set after matching speed for a bit. We work out this routine so we can cruise in comfort, placing our attention on other things while making tracks.

Dan
I do find that the FJR can be set more precisely than the 'oldwing. I don't have to adjust my speed to match his nearly as often as I did on the 'wing.

Hell, Patriot and I couldn't keep our FJRs together on flat Florida roads with Audiovox cruises on them! :)

Well, now that I think about it, we had some hills. The panhandle is pretty rough country up here!!!! There's even a place more than 300 feet above sea level!

Hell, Patriot and I couldn't keep our FJRs together on flat Florida roads with Audiovox cruises on them!
smile.png

Well, now that I think about it, we had some hills. The panhandle is pretty rough country up here!!!! There's even a place more than 300 feet above sea level!
Oh wow! Do you notice any trouble breathing there?
smile.png

I love cruise on a bike and use it frequently as I do a lot highway miles but I hate the fact that this bike moves 1.2 mph with each bump of the RES+ button rather than 1.0. Sounds trivial but when you are following one or more bikes and have set your cruise pace with them then they increase by 1 mph at a time it doesn't allow you to keep the same pace anymore without completely resetting your cruise.

Yeah, I know, worry less and ride more. Those little annoyances.