Wrecked the '15 already

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfish Hunter

Gone Fishing
Reaction score
I could have posted this in the Ride Report section but since it was such a short ride it did not qualify.

Yesterday evening I picked up the 2015 FJR ES. I was so proud of it. As much as I loved my ST1300, I knew this bike was going to be soooo much better. I left the dealership around 6:20pm, it was cold and dark and I was late for work.

Since this was my first experience with heated grips, I was blown away. I decided to ride the new bike straight on into work. My co-workers came out and praised the new ride, everyone was very impressed. I was proud of it. I spent my breaks reading the owner's manual. Really.

I left work this morning riding very cautiously. It was 33 degrees, the bike was brand new, the tires were brand new, and I was tired. 4 miles from the plant I made a left turn onto another road, it was a "T" shaped intersection. I make this turn every morning on my ST and more often than not I will give it a bit of extra throttle to kick the back tire out a bit. I decided not to try that this morning with a brand new bike.

I was running the bike in "Touring" mode and taking things very easy. As I made the left turn, it just slid out from under me. It was like I had hit ice. I was down before I could react and spinning slowly on my back sliding down the road. I could not see the bike but I could hear it making awful grinding noises as it slid along. Heartbreaking grinding noises.

I was going very slowly so neither of us slid very far. I hopped up, ran to the bike and stood it back up. I got on it and it fired right up. I was facing the wrong way and the first vehicle had just turned in, I just clicked it into gear and took off for home. The bike had 22 miles on it, I had owned it for less than 12 hours.

I have no one to blame but me. I knew the tires were new, I knew it was cold. I thought I had it under control and obviously did not. I have messed up my brand new bike and I have hurt myself badly enough that my ability to work is compromised.

Will post pics later.

Redfish Hunter, so very damn sorry to hear about this! We Stanley Boys are sincerely praying for your quick recovery, the FJR can always be repaired! JSNS!

Last edited by a moderator:
that bites the big one

meebee a dude from La isn't used to the feel of tires on 33 degree pavement.- might as well be wood.

git back on her

The suck factor on this is off the scale!! Here's hoping the damage to you isn't as bad as it sounds. The bike is just a thing. A new, pretty thing, to be sure, but a thing none the less. Heal quickly!!!

So sorry to hear of this RFH - with your waiting and wanting a new other then RED ES model.... Heal up quickly - humiliating for sure, but its only a "thing" which can be replaced....

I will say this one time...... the tires that come from the factory SUCK DIK....

They are way less then confidence inspiring and I have a new set on order PR2's or 4s, which will be replaced immediately on the 15...

Wish you luck on with the insurance CO...

Somehow, with the title and the way you opened your post, I was almost convinced you were kidding somehow and I was waiting for the punch line. Didn't really believe it till that 5th paragraph.

Damn sorry to hear it. Give us an update on yourself and the bike when you can, 'k?

(BTW, kind of impressed you stood the bike back up by yourself.
rolleyes.gif
There's that, at least.)

So sorry to read this. That must suck enough that even knowing that the consequences could have been much worse probably does very little to abate the anguish. Hoping you and the new bike will be whole again soon.

Brother I feel your pain... my '14 got backed into and knocked over last week and is in for repairs now. $3850 in damage (so far) and only 480 miles. I had it a month. Hope you heal fast.

WOW

sorry to hear of this but very glad you were ok enough to ride it home. the bike can be fixed or replaced just glad you are not laying in the hospital wondering if you are going to be ok

Sorry RH. Just sorry.

You said 33 degrees in the early morning. Any chance at that particular spot it might have been a degree or two lower? Black ice can get even the best, especially when and where it's not expected.

Well, how in the Hell did you break your rib? Please don't say that happend after you got home and told your wife. Did she beat your ass and break that thing? I woulda beat your ass for crashing the new bike.

Thank you all so very much. I truly appreciate you guys.

I had not trouble getting the bike stood back up. I dropped my Honda often enough that I was practically an expert at standing it up. If Bike Standing were an Olympic Sport...

When I got home I did not know for sure if I was hurt or not. I did not want to wake Mrs. Redfish so I just snuck past her and went to bed. By the time I got into bed, I was starting to worry. A few hours later I was having trouble getting back out of the bed.

When it became obvious that I had a broken rib I had to admit to Mrs. Redfish that not only had I wrecked my new bike but that I was injured and needed X-Rays. She took it better than I had any right to expect.

Mom and Pop came over and we all went to the hospital. I have a broken rib that hurts just as bad as I always heard it would. I have no lung damage. I did something to my right hand and thumb but that is so minor I did not mention it to the ER doc. I was proud to answer their questions regarding my helmet and lack of road rash.

Is it worth it to ATGATT?

Note the peeling paint under the bottom edge of the visor also.

My Tourmaster Transition Series 3:

The saddest part of all:

In the hospital the worry and depression began eating at me badly. Maybe I did not deserve to own an FJR. Maybe I was not destined to have a beautiful bike ever. What if I were to badly hurt to work? What if, what if?

I am hurting but I am okay, the bike can and will get fixed, and work will take care of itself. Just a minor setback in my FJR customization plans, nothing I can't overcome.

Very sorry this happened to you. This too shall pass and before long you will be healed and the bike repaired. Look at the bright side. Now you have a reason to have the bike painted a proper color.