Riding Wolf Creek Pass in November

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
I'm going on a ride, starting this weekend, Nov 22, 2014.

And I'm reaching out to anyone that is experience in cold weather riding, and specifically in Southern Colorado.

I've got pretty good equipment. I'll be using Smartwool undies, a couple of layers of warm clothes, an Aerostich electric vest, a good insulated jacket, thermal lined pants, a thin thermal cowl (skiing gear) and for the coldest parts, I'll have my heavy rainsuit on, to keep the heat I'm generating in. I've got some Gerbing battery heated gloves, skiing heat packs for hands and boots. I am not afraid of cold. I've ridden to work in 15 degrees F.

But... That was a 25 minute ride to work. This is going to be a little bit longer ride.

Here is what the Weather Channel says I'm facing:

Sunday – midday, I'm planning on going through Del Norte, CO just about noon to 1pm. High 32.

Taking highway 160 up through Wolf Creek Pass. Forecast for Wolf Creek – high of 25. I'd be going through there just about when that high was happening.

Pagosa Springs forecasting a high 31. Continuing on 160 over to Durango. Bayfield on the way has a forecast of 39, Durango 35.

Forecast highs for Wolf Creek for the days before: 44, 41, 43. Small chance of precipitation. Sunday, 40% chance.

Anyone still reading? I'm finally getting to my question! Should I try to do this? Is there likely to be ICE? That really is the only thing that will absolutely stop me. If it's cold dry pavement, me taking my own sweet time, looking around, stopping for pics... It's about 60 miles, supposed to take an hour and I'd be happy to take an hour and a half to two hours.

I'm looking, not for opinions, but for some serious advice from some riders that have actually attempted similar trips. Should I be doing this?

Have you ridden that area before? You don't mention what your route to Del Norte is.

Hwy 160 south from the junction of Hwy 149 is not super twisty although it is very nice. Once you reach the summit of Wolf Creek Pass and start downhill and southward the road is very open and the speed limit is almost ridiculously low for the quality of the road. The road from Pagosa Springs headed west to Durango is relatively gentle as well.

I cannot honestly say that I would want to cross that pass with any possibility of frozen precip on the road, but at least you will be late enough in the day that overnight frost will not be an issue.

Hopefully some of our Colorado members will chime in.

Awfully late in the season to be visiting passes in CO on two wheels. Even without any precipitation, there's likely to be snow up that high and with a little melting, ice in the shady spots. If roads have already been sanded, you also have that to contend with.

Just my $.02...Good luck!

--G

Colorado has some of the most random weather I have seen, and the ski resort at Wolf Creek Pass gets more powder than just about any other resort.

Bottom line: you can't ever be sure that it'll be safe to go through Colorado passes. If you choose to go, keep monitoring the situation as you approach and have a backup plan.

Colorado Road Conditions website is extremely accurate. If the website shows a road is dry, it is dry.

https://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

Most accurate snow predictions--Opensnow.com Colorado forecast:

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

According to Open Snow, this is a really bad weekend to be going through Colorado.

I have a 60 watt warm-n-safe jacket and heated gloves and use them on commute to work when temps are in mid 30s and speed doesn't get above 50mph for more than a few minutes. But going over these passes at 60~75 mph and temps in the low 30s I had it on full blast and it was at its limit. I would be concerned about staying warm at highway speeds for extended time with temps below 30.

Regarding Wolf Creek... do you have studded tires? Even though temps may get above freezing during the day it gets seriously cold at night Anything liquid freezes hard and doesn't defrost without a lot of sunshine or some significant temps above freezing. The sun is low this time of year and some sections of road may never see sunlight. While CDOT may say road is clear it will only take a small section of frozen runoff to ruin your trip. Also, because it has been snowing the roads around the passes have likely been sanded/salted. Most probably don't consider it a good time trying to negotiate mountain curves when you're limited to one wheel track because the rest of the road is covered in sand. Small chance of precip, only 40%? 40% in the mountains is more like 80%. Rflagg42 isn't joking about Wolf Creek's reputation for snow, check out their current snow report. They're currently at 41" this season!

I got snow on WCP in June. Scared the shit out of me. Had a hell of a time getting down.

Cold weather is not the Problem. Snow and Ice (Black Ice) is. I live here in Colorado and I won't ride the mountains (high Country) in late Nov. some years it is possible from day to day. Some years Not. If you don't need to, don't. You pay your money and take your chances.

Sounds like you got the right gear, but man, and, you're from Texas right?

I did get to your final question and I have tried what you are wanting to try but it has been on my snowmobiles. Certain equipment for certain situations may apply here. I know "the rush" that the snow and bad weather can give a person, but trust me, once your in it for awhile you soon ask yourself "really?, I've had enough!" and wanting out may not be a quick answer on 2 wheels.

I'd re-evaluate your trip and postpone it till the ice and snow have long been melted. Your body parts may thank you big time.

. . . but man, and, you're from Texas right?

I'd re-evaluate your trip and postpone it till the ice and snow have long been melted. Your body parts may thank you big time.
:rofl:

I've been watching this thread because, in what seems like another lifetime long ago, I lived and rode in Colorado - Boulder and Steamboat Springs. While in the latter, I owned a '75 Kawasaki Z-1 900 that got put away in October. My first reaction to the questions was "huh?", and I agree with what the Coloradans on board have said about Colorado mountain roads and passes this late in the year.

But the Texas comment made me recall those years. Colorado mountain resort areas get a LOT of tourism from Texas, mostly hunting, skiing and golf. In a less PC/poorer marketing time, I recall some pretty derogatory radio commentary (humor, I guess) and a couple tee shirts that expressed a native disdain for all things Texan. (I'm a native Californicator, so I just looked on in amusement, concluding that Coloradans resented Texans owning so much of Colorado, not to mention a Super Bowl beating.) Anyway, our forum Coloradans are much more helpful, and I'll just add: don't do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fifty years of riding, from Alaska to Nova Scotia to Key West to San Diego, says you would be stupid to do this.
Not to mention inviting Coloradans who see the Texas plate to remark: "That figures!" ;)

Seriously, ride these roads late next spring and really enjoy the beauty instead of freezing, scaring yourself and risking the well being of bike and body.

(FWIW, bikerskier and I both rode '75 Z1s about the same time in different mountainous parts of the continent.)

negatory.jpg

I put out the question and hoped for a few answers, and I got them. Thanks, all.

Some of the answers were more questions, but the three shortest answers are the ones I'm going with. The road through Taos looks much clearer, 10 to 15 degrees warmer. Just have to forego the Wolf Creek pass.

I wish I could find a different time to do the trip. I get only so much vacation, and I can only take a few days for myself and the bike alone. This trip starts in DFW, and has a primary goal of T-day in El Paso. My wife is flying there - I'm going to take 5 days to get there. This is something that can happen, and there just isn't any other time of year for me. So...I hope for unseasonable weather, and if I get seasonable, then I alter the plans.

There will still be a lot of chilly weather, but I think I can handle that. Multiple layers, and an outside windproof shell. Hope the electric gloves work as well as advertised.

Anyway, thanks again, all the responders.

I think flagg is right on. I've done wcp, but only in the summer. it's a long pass and risk the road being sanded. plus, piled high plowed snow could melt onto the highway. I would say "no". everything would have to go right, for you to really enjoy the ride.

the road will be there in the summer.

I didn't see this Birkdale, or I too would have discouraged riding WCP. And as you may have since learned, the CO mountains got snow on Nov 22 thru 24... WCP would not have been passable on a motorcycle.

I do ride the mountain passes on occasion in the winter, but i always watch the weather, checking roads on cotrip.org, and I've always the option of not going on the ride. Even when the roads are 'clear', there still is snow melt, gravel, and ice slicks in the shadows.

How did your ride thru Taos go?

I only have one comment with regard to Wolf Creek Pass: "My, ain't this pretty up here!"

Before writing it iff, I'd call Wolf Creek and ask them about their weather. The resort is very up to date on what will happen on the mountain. If there's ANY chance of snow, I'd scratch it. If it's just cold, well, then it's up to you, but you also need to ask about how much snow is already there. Thanksgiving is usually opening weekend, so they may have 38 inches or more already.

FWIW, Taos will be cold too. Hell, go.run southern NM. Silver city over to HWY 191 in Arizona, around cloud croft and Ruidoso will be cold, but not Taos/Colorado cold. The riding down there is pretty too.

Personally, I don't know that I would ride Colorado right now unless I absolutely had to.