Speaking of Canyon Cages

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucksklrst

Reaction score
Just installed a set on my FJR. Do like. Question??? Has anybody crash tested these guards and how well did they protect the bike and the rider's leg? I would prefer to learn from others experience than try it out myself.
smile.png

Here are a couple of videos showing how the cages contact the ground with and without sliders added. I think there are a few that have dropped the bike from 0 mph, but not sure of any at speed. I am only expecting them to save rash from said 0 mph drop, but any added protection at any speed would be a bonus!
punk.gif

Don't know why these didn't show up as a clickable link??

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of videos showing how the cages contact the ground with and without sliders added. I think there are a few that have dropped the bike from 0 mph, but not sure of any at speed. I am only expecting them to save rash from said 0 mph drop, but any added protection at any speed would be a bonus!
punk.gif

Thanks I have seen the videos. Was looking for real world experience.

you first. (joke)

I imagine the sparks will be flying and the bike sliding. At that point, I wouldnt really be thinking about the saddle bags and the fairing. I dropped my last FJR a number of times at zero mph. I am hoping that if I chose that path in life again, the cage takes the abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember seeing or reading (I forget which) that it takes very little pressure on the bars to tip the bike onto the mirror once the bike is laid down on the Canyon Cage at a standstill ?

Even in a 0 MPH tip-over I'd be worried about the bag guard leveraging against the rear subframe. I wonder if there is less expensive damage accepting bag rash rather than a bent or broken rear subframe? Just asking because it looks like it could impose a lot of stress.

We don't live in a perfect world. The only answer to no damage is no accident! I have a friend who turned right at a red light in front of me. He was in second gear and the bike stalled as he started around the corner. He and the bike fell over pitching him to the sidewalk.We picked up the bike and there wasn`t even a scratch! 2009 FJR bags on with no slider or any other protective devices. Sometimes you just get lucky. It doesn`t hurt to try and protect yourself either.

Here I thought I was the only one who had fallen while making a right turn from a stoplight. Luckily the PU behind me was full of construction workers, two of whom were also riders. Made sure I was OK, picked the bike up and put it on the side stand and then made sure I was able to see the humor. That took a while and I still didn't find much humor in the situtation. Right hand mirror scratched, stay bent (straighted with a length of 2 x 4, a couple of bolts, bunch of washers and leverage. Saddlebag scratches were there until my April 2012 accident.

I was rear ended on the freeway and the Canyon Cage saved my left foot, my foot was above the cage and pushed into the side faring, the cage keeped the weight off my foot, the rear saved my bags not a scratch but the bars was bent and the bike ended up being totaled. But if I was able to ride it was rideable and I would have been able to get home.

Hey Chuck . . .

I went down on the right side at 3-5mph while riding down a rocky creek bed. Ended up with the cage resting on a large rounded rock with no damage to anything else. With aux fuel and top box stacked on back, the cage bar provided a good balance point, weighted slightly towards the tires, keeping everything in the air. Being able to rock the bike a little was a big help in getting it upright after I dismounted the side bags and the top box. What looked like scuff marks on the front cage bar and the rear tank bag guard came off with a wet wipe. No damage. Maybe they were just soft rocks.

Shuey

Latest posts