Rear rack - just to mount a day bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kballowe

Reaction score
2013 FJR

Need just a simple rear rack to mount a day bag. Have no intention of mounting a top box....

Suggestions?

Are there differences between the Gen II and Gen III racks. (i.e , what fits?)

Thanks

I really like the looks of that rack, even better then the stock rack that it mounts too.....

That will work well for my rear bag also....

01-613-0180-01-lg.jpg

You might also have a look at the SW Motech rack at twisted throttle. Looks very similar to the touratech rack and cost about 110.00 if memory serves. You can also buy a mounting kit which attaches to the rack to mount the top box of your choice should you ever decide you want one. I've got this setup with Givi mounts and it works great with my V47 top box. Also works well when I just want to use a small bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerald sells them also. Check out the group buy section or do a google search. I have one and it has been used and abused and still looks great.

Dave

Here is a simple rack. Simple but not cheap. I have this rack and love it. Simple and easy to attach rok straps to. Like you I have no intention of mounting a top box.As a bonus the Corbin smuggler will fit on the bike with this rack installed.

https://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1596/PN-613-0180/Rear-Luggage-Rack-FJR1300-2006-on-Black
So does that mean the stock plastic rack goes away?
Nope, just take the 3 bolts out and attach the rack with the 3 new bolts they furnish.

Here is my FJR with the rack, rear seat and side bags. When on a long trip I set it up like that. I can just stap a big dry bag or two right on top of the rack and rear seat.

IMG_1108-L.jpg

For day rides I set it up like below. Corbin smuggler, no side bags and the small rack if I need it.

FJR1300-XL.jpg

Not sure if it means much but.........

The installation instructions for the Touratech rack state - "Maximum load 5Kg"! , that's about 10 lbs............

Not sure if it means much but.........
The installation instructions for the Touratech rack state - "Maximum load 5Kg"! , that's about 10 lbs............
I guess that limit is there to protect the sub-frame. You are certainly not going to hurt that rack. It's very well built.

I normally have my dry bags strapped long ways on the bike. So the weight is disbursed between the rack and the seat. I have put up to three dry bags on there when I have my camping gear. Maybe I am pushing it, but fingers crossed no problems yets. Thats two 20L sealine bags and one 30L bag. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothes, etc. So really more bulk then weight.

20140925_110320-L.jpg

Either Garauld or Premier Cycle Accessories. I have the PCA, have had it since before I knew Garauld was making them. Use it all the time and love it.

I'm looking for a rear rack for a soft bag as well. I don't see anything for the FJR on the Touratech site and from what I see of the new style rack from PCA is basically a place to put a backrest which I don't want. Are there any others out there? The old style PCA is about perfect.

I dealt with this a few years ago and ended up with the Givi SR357 rack along with their flat black Trekker plate. Gives me the best of both worlds although I lost the option of using a Smuggler. However if you're happy with the stock rack look at Givi's SRA2109 plate which I believe bolts right up. The top-box "wedge" is easily removable and I don't know if it only comes in silver.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-sra2109-aluminum-top-rack-for-yamaha-fjr1300-06-12-fjr1300-13-15-fjr1300-16-to-fit-givi-monokey-top-cases?gloc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwyqTqBRAyEiwA8K_4Oxkl00uI-5QLA23_IsQ-sK3JkaUM1j5_kS51jmvGVHqHiBqLemXnGxoChSEQAvD_BwE

I guess you can price shop around but my experience with Givi is they're mostly fixed pricing. You can probably get it overseas cheaper, I've used Motorstorm in the past, although returns can get costly if you think that might be a possibility.

Also a link to Garauld here on the Forum. As someone recently posted, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone not happy with any of his work.

Good luck with your quest.