Another step closer to new suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leclairk

Reaction score
I am slowly collecting funds to purchase new suspension for my 06'. I have a couple different bids to choose from and I'm not really sure which direction I want to go. Both bids came in at roughly $1650. I call GP suspension (now KFG) and got a quote for a valve kit up front with new springs and an entry level Penske in the rear. My local mechanic (Cycletune) who does quite a bit of suspension/track bike work gave me a quote for Race Tech springs and bushings in front with an Ohlins S46HR1C1 in the rear. I would like to be in the $1000 range but I also believe you get what you pay for. I don't want to go cheap and end up with only moderately better suspension. People have talked about doing a Gen III in the rear but then I don't get any adjustability. Others have mentioned a Hagen shock. Looks like I can get one with the remote adjuster and bigger spring for about $700. They are a company I have never heard of. I don't ride 2 up but I do a yearly 2 week trip in the summer loaded with gear. Do I really need a full valve kit up front or should I save that money and put it towards a better rear shock? I know I could save the money and do the work myself but that makes me nervous. It's one thing to change fluids or do a TBS but it's a whole other deal to mess with a motorcycle's suspension. I just don't want to screw up my bike.

Doing the work yourself isn't that hard. Buy or borrow a manual and you could have it done in a weekend easy. I'm thinking of a tech get together in the spring so that may be an option for you. There are lots of good folks here that can offer advice.

Just so you know.

Hagon are a long-established European company with a long track record in performance suspension parts.

First, be patient...

Last year KFG had a Black Friday sale with all parts 25% off. Don't know if they'll do it again this year, but one never knows. I picked up a 8983 Penske for my Tenere and saved a bundle!

To save a few Benjamins, I'd rebuild the forks and install the proper rate springs for your intended use. Then, add a properly sprung aftermarket rear shock and see how you like the [new] bike. Fork upgardes can always come later...

Just my $.02.

--G

I agree 100% with Escapefjrtist, you will enjoy the rear shock the most. I ordered my Penske from KFG on their black friday sale last year too. Put in the proper spring rates with the correct oil in the front end with new bushings and seals. You will be amazed at the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an '08 and last spring I had GP Suspension do my fork with the valve/spring kit and it was ~$750. Once the front was done, I purchased an Ohlins YA707 with the remote pre-load, all the bells and whistles rear shock and put it on myself. I then went back to GP and had them set the bike up, front and rear. The YA707 was about $950 if I recall correctly.

I tell you what - its the best money I have ever spent the bike.
punk.gif

I think you should approach the solution by ensuring both front and rear have a good upgrade. This will make the bike handle so much better.

If I had to do it all over again I would have gone AK-20's in the front and the same Penske in the rear. MY 2 cents

You are close to FjRay. Buy your parts and have Ray install. You won't be sorry. IMHO, any of the noted after market peeps make good parts. I agree with poster above.. the best $$ spent have been good suspension. In my case, GPS. One of the best parts, no longer avail, was having Dave actually ride and adjust with the same weight on the bike as with me and typical configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing the work yourself isn't that hard. Buy or borrow a manual and you could have it done in a weekend easy. I'm thinking of a tech get together in the spring so that may be an option for you. There are lots of good folks here that can offer advice.
A tech get together would be great. You guys have me thinking about doing the work myself. The black Friday tips is a great idea. I will keep a lookout for that. A while ago I found a step by step with pictures of someone doing a fork job but I can't seem to locate it. I believe that person was doing a re-valve which is out of my league but I could do new springs, bushings, and seals. If I can't wait until spring for a tech get together I may start on some of this. If I could get parts for the front for $300 and a rear shock on sale for $700 that would get me new suspension for $1000!! Although I would need to find someone or someplace to dial things in. Thanks for all the tips guys, this is great!

Just a big thanks for the heads up about the KFG black friday sale. I bought a Penske rear shock, new fork springs, and a re-valve kit. All in with installation was $1450. I saved 400 bucks. I was thinking of just doing fork springs but they really sold me on a re-valve kit. Plus, I get to let them do the work, they help me set it up, and give me a suspension 101 lesson about the bike. I can't wait. Lucky for me Auburn, WA is 2-1/2 hours away. I get to ride up with stock suspension and then take the long way home with the new setup. Can't wait!

Glad the Black Friday / Small Business Saturday sale worked out for you leclairk!

Fresh aftermarket suspenders is a huge improvement to the bike...you won't be disappointed!

--G

<snip> Lucky for me Auburn, WA is 2-1/2 hours away. I get to ride up with stock suspension and then take the long way home with the new setup. Can't wait!
Sounds like you just volunteered for a techno ride report. Will be waiting to hear how it goes ... pics, too, man!