Team Lyle Silver State Roundup Pics and Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug5551

Reaction score
FJR Darksider #3 from El Segundo/Sugarloaf, CA
Here are some pics from the Team Lyle Silver State Roundup, held last May in Alamo, Nevada.

Here is Rally Headquarters, the Alamo Inn, along with some early arrivals:

Here was our design logo, which proved to be popular:

Tripper Mike came all the way from Minnesota to participate:

We had a group dinner and riders meeting at Windmill Ridge, a few miles down the road. Here is Tom Loegering, a notable Iron Butt Rally veteran, talking with IBA Number 5, George Swetland:

Tripper Mike enjoying dinner:

Here are some of the bikes before the event:

Matt Watkins customized his FJR just for this event:

The next morning, the riders were off between 5 am and 6 am. Some would be riding the 1525 mile base route, while others would opt to be in the open class and devise a route of their own choosing.

Here are some pics of riders getting gas at Ash Springs during the event.

Erik Lipps:

Marc Beaulac, with guest rallymaster Ted Bosch and our Road Warrior(vehicle support) Carl Stark in the background:

Matt Watkins opted to change his tire during the event due to premature wear of his first tire. It took him just 15 minutes to do the change out:

Looks like Matt hit a bird:

Marc Beaulac was the first of the open class riders in the next morning:

Matt Watkins getting his last gas receipt to finish his ride:

Erik Lipps finishing:

Pat Ford and his daughter Becky became the third two up riders to ever successfully complete a BBG 1800+

Open class finishers Matt Watkins, Marc Beaulac, and Erik Lipps. Justin Philipson should be in this photo, but he was back at his motel room at the time:

Matt Watkins had a Blue Ribbon performance:

Chris Purney rode up from Las Vegas to bring some spare parts for a rider:

After the event we had our traditional BBQ at the Alamo Inn:

A great time was had by all, and we will be doing it again next May in Alamo, which will be the fourth time. We get some of the best riders in the world to participate. My thanks to all of them for riding so hard and so successfully.

Good report and pics.

Those are some serious riders and their modifications are impressive.

That aux tank on the 2 tone bike of Matt Watkins must be a handful on corners. It looks like a 20 gal aquarium up there.

Pretty sure Matt didn't have many corners on his route :) Should have seen it with the other tire strapped on top of it

That aux tank on the 2 tone bike of Matt Watkins must be a handful on corners. It looks like a 20 gal aquarium up there.
15 gallons actually...and I ended up using about 10 gallons of it nominally. I was a bit tentative the first several hours, but since I took off side bags and running minimalist tools...it was comparable to bike in usual rally trim.

I agree great report and pictures...I had both a gush of nostalgia and a bit of guilt as I'm pretty sure that ride added the equivalent of 50,000 miles of wear on a loyal bike. Her wiring harness started to self destruct on the way home.

Pretty sure Matt didn't have many corners on his route.
There's a lot of truth in that. I just looked and estimate that I had 364 corners the whole day I couldn't experience at FJR nominal speeds. ;)

Where were all the CBA peeps?
flirt.gif

Great pics Doug. That was a fun get together that was well worth the ride out to.

Perhaps I might be able to convince a couple others from these here parts to join me next May.

Last edited by a moderator: