Missing Pannier Chrome Strip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Foley

Reaction score
I lost the chrome strip on my right pannier some-where along the way.

11-20-20148-08-26AM_zpsd4ec1cbd.png

Anybody know the best place to buy a replacement?

BTW - i thought parts only fell off of Harley Davidson's
smile.png

Try your dealer, this seems to be a pretty common Gen 3 issue and the dealer may have a gratis replacement. All other years the discussion has been how to remove the strip, with the Gen 3 it has been how to replace it

Edit: Corrected by SouthernCruizer. All other Gens the strip is only held on by adhesive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of anyone losing the chrome strip, as it is bolted on the bag. What we and I have lost is the Yamaha logo in the strip...bad adhesive. I had 2 replaced on my throttle side bad already (under warranty).

DOH - My bad! It is just the Yamaha logo - I don't get over to that side of the bike that often - LOL!

I'll pick one up at the dealership the next time I'm in.

FYI, I lost both stickers on my 14, and the dealer replaced the whole chrome piece to the tune of around $60 apiece!
uhoh.gif
The parts fiche for 13'3 and 14's show that part as one. 2012 and earlier show the pieces separately.

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50ac0acff870022c18953f61/saddlebags

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004f8e2f8700223a0a0b79e/saddlebags

Have him look up parts for the 2012. You can just get the sticker that way, and they haven't changed the shape or size or color that I know of.

Had mine replaced under warranty a month or so after I got the bike. They sent the entire case lid (which I tried to talk the guy out of, but failed) It promptly failed again and now the Yamaha sticker is on the fridge.

Next time I am at the dealer, I will order another one. Might as well put the YES to work.

Thanks for the link - just placed an order for a new one.

Had mine replaced under warranty a month or so after I got the bike. They sent the entire case lid (which I tried to talk the guy out of, but failed) It promptly failed again and now the Yamaha sticker is on the fridge.
Next time I am at the dealer, I will order another one. Might as well put the YES to work.
Nice to have an extra case lid - might come in handy!

Still bet you could get it from the dealer cheaper when you factor in shipping for something you could send in an envelope for 42 cents! One sit I saw wanted $16.95 for shipping!
bad.gif

Talk to your dealer, this is a reoccurring problem with the Gen 3, the dealer may be able to offer you a free fix. What ever you do, don't trust the adhesive on the replacement part ;)

3M Gorilla Snot.

You'll be able to lift the bike with a sky crane by the badge after gluing it with that stuff.

Mine hasn't fallen off yet, but I might want to make it happen. Then stick a 1st or 2nd gen rubber strip on there instead. I hate that chrome. No idea what the design guys were thinking there. :nono:

Fred, it was just the sticker.......but you can make it happen by loosening the screws that hold that chrome piece on!
rolleyes.gif
There was a forum member that masked off the chrome part and sprayed it with satin black Plasti-Dip. A good winter project would be to unbolt those strips, take a heat gun and get that sticker off. Hit it with a few coats of Plasti-Dip, and Gorilla Snot the sticker back on.

Son of a gun, you're right. I had to open one of my bags and look. Did not remember seeing those screw heads in there.
thumbsup.gif

Time to go look up the black rubber part numbers and prices.
wink.png

Edit to add info:

The part numbers for the saddlebag rubber side strips and logos has been the same on all 1st and second gen bikes. They are

5JW-W9346-0L-00 and 5JW-W9346-0R-00 for left and right

5JW-W9345-00-00 for the Yamaha logos

The rubber strips list for 44.95 each, street price is ~ $31

The logos list for $11.99 ea and can be found for ~ $7.50

So, total cost for this purely aesthetic mod would be $77 plus shipping.

Hmmm... I think that can of Plasti-dip is calling my name. Maybe use a regular paint for a bit more permanence.

Last edited by a moderator: