MTF's Hyder Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The Motorcycle Tourers Forum is hosting several rides to Hyder, AK!

Along with flower sniffing rides, they are hosting several cert rides into Hyder:

The Motorcycle Tourer's Forum

This is one of my remaining desired Cert. rides that I have remaining. I will most likely tie in the "Hyder to Hyder 2.4" into a shake-down 10/10ths

ride that will string together other outstanding cert. rides that I want to do.

The list is growing shorter but these are the rides I am looking at:

Whynot, NC to Why, AZ

Why, AZ to Whynot, MS (1600 miles in 24 hours)

Sunrise to Sunset

Mississippi Headwaters Gold

Hope to see some of you next May in Hyder!

Some pics:

Peace!

The approach isn't bad:

Plenty of parking spots:

Last edited by a moderator:
When they first announced this I'd hoped to make the AK ride but I won't make it this time. Too many other irons in the fire. One day I'll do the Why/Whynot as well as a 48/10, and I'd like to do the Heaven to Hell.

So may tires, so little time...

When they first announced this I'd hoped to make the AK ride but I won't make it this time. Too many other irons in the fire. One day I'll do the Why/Whynot as well as a 48/10, and I'd like to do the Heaven to Hell.
So may tires, so little time...
Jesse, we need to hook up for some rides…

I forgot about the Heaven to Hell ride, its on my list to!

Ahhhh Hyder!

I spoke to Ron Ayers about the possibility of his becoming re-involved in putting on Hyder Seek. He did not rule it out and indicated he might do it every few years. After he dropped his sponsorship of the ride, after 2011 I believe, there was a small Hyder Seek in 2012, but since then nothing evidently. It would be great to see that event reborn. The death of the proprietor of The Sealaska Inn, Gary, also hurt the event.

FYI, Hyder Seek was held in Hyder to recognize and celebrate those who had completed the 48 State +1 ride, in ten days I believe. Annie and i really enjoy Hyder and stop there on every trip to Alaska.

Also many bears. This fella was rummaging through the remains of a house that burned during the winter of 2011-2012. This was taken from in front of our room at the Granview Inn in Hyder.

SAM_0919.jpg

Chow break.....

SAM_0912.jpg

I spoke to Ron Ayers about the possibility of his becoming re-involved in putting on Hyder Seek. He did not rule it out and indicated he might do it every few years. After he dropped his sponsorship of the ride, after 2011 I believe, there was a small Hyder Seek in 2012, but since then nothing evidently. It would be great to see that event reborn. The death of the proprietor of The Sealaska Inn, Gary, also hurt the event.
FYI, Hyder Seek was held in Hyder to recognize and celebrate those who had completed the 48 State +1 ride, in ten days I believe. Annie and i really enjoy Hyder and stop there on every trip to Alaska.

Also many bears. This fella was rummaging through the remains of a house that burned during the winter of 2011-2012. This was taken from in front of our room at the Granview Inn in Hyder.

Chow break.....
I actually did the 48++ in 2011 and was lucky enough to have Ron A. & Mike K. sign my end of ride witness form. That is disappointing about the Sealaska Inn though.

I wonder what they did with all the wall photos of finishers?

I am working on routes for a spring ride that will include a:

Whynot, NC to Why, AZ

Hyder, AZ to Hyder, AK

Hyder, AK to Hyder, AZ

Why, AZ to Whynot, MS

All inclosed within a 10/10ths

Here is one version:

Just an update...

It is probably not wise (With the IBR so soon after), but I will be doing this ride towards the end of May..

I would love to do these rides OR a portion with another rider. So... consider this an invite for anyone who

would like to do these rides:

* Whynot, NC to Why, AZ cert. #1

* Hyder,AZ to Hyder, AK cert #2 (I-5 route) (With the MTF's Ride)

* Hyder,AK to Hyder,AZ (I-15 route)

* Why,AZ to Whynot,MS cert #3

All these rides from/to West Palm Beach, Fl for a 10/10ths cert #4

So let me know if you're interested, as I would enjoy sharing all or part of this ride.

I will most likely do my planning in early May.

FYI, the border crossing from Hyder back into Canada is now only open from 8AM to Midnight. It used to be 24 hours and recently changed the hours due to little after hours use. This was from a guy on the V-strom forum who lives in Wasulla.

The Canadians are shutting the border between Stewart and Hyder between midnight and 8:00 am each day. You will not be able to enter or leave Hyder during those hours. People are complaining and they may get the decision reversed, but plan accordingly.
https://m.newsminer.com/news/alaska_news/canada-border-hours-worry-residents-in-small-alaska-town/article_8306b0b4-bf93-11e4-816b-e3d3e7bbcc10.html?mode=jqm
Somehow, I can't blame Canada for not providing 24 hour border services for a VERY small town (pop.90) in the USA. If it is so important, perhaps there should be a US customs office there - at least to cover the 1/3 of a day when the Canadian office isn't staffed. Its not like Hyder is a main thoroughfare to anywhere else. Emergency services are covered so I guess if someone HAS to leave for other than a medical emergency between midnight and 8AM, they should plan to spend the night in Stewart. There are quite a few small rural border crossings between Canada and the USA that are not staffed 24/7 by either country. Seems to me that people are making this into big deal - I have read posts on a few other forums.

Last time I was in Hyder we were going to go to a banquet in Stewart. We went thru Canadian customs and they asked the standard questions: how long since you've been in Canada; how long are you staying; where are you going... etc. We got thru the crossing and went a half mile down the road and my wife radioed from her bike that she had forgotten our tickets to the event. I told her to wait and went back into Hyder to get them. Just as I entered the USA she called to say she had the tickets after all. I did a u-turn into Canadian customs. The lady border agent, who watched the whole event, asked me "How long since you visited Canada?" We both broke out laughing and she let me go.

I am doing the Cheyenne to Hyder route. There a couple of other FJRs signed up with other starting locations.

Latest posts