Gen3 Turn Signal Relay Swap for LED Conversion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuey

Reaction score
OK . . . I swapped out my incandescent tail lights with LEDs. Brighter, much brighter, but . . . they blink fast due to the difference in power draw.

The solution on my ST1300s was to replace the stock turn signal relay with another that supported any light configuration without current issues. The other fix is to add two Load Balancers. I prefer swapping the relay.

Problem: Which relay to get and how do I find it once I remove plastic? I'd prefer to have the replacement relay in hand before tearing down the bike, but can't identify how many pins or anything about it in the manual or online.

So, who knows? SuperBrightLEDs and SignalDynamics both sell replacement relays, but are unable to help with which one to order.

Shuey

^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. There have been many reports that folks get inferior results with LED swaps. We need source and part numbers!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to swap out the OEM flasher, Google search for FJR LED flasher. Around $20.00 on eBay
Geez Marcus...at least provide a Linky and some information!
coolsmiley02.gif
Is this the right one?

--G

Can't help with the relay but.....
You can't come in here and say you swapped to a LED bulb and not mention which one or how the swap went aside from brighter and faster blinking
wink.png
Why not? But I won't now that I know someone else is interested.

So . . .

Brake Light Bulbs: Pilot - White, LED, #1157, 15 LEDs per bulb, "Super Bright LEDS", "NO ERROR MESSAGES CAN BUS LED"

Turn Signal Bulbs: Pilot - Amber, LED, #1156, 15 LEDs per bulb, "Super Bright LEDS", "NO ERROR MESSAGES CAN BUS LED"

The 15 LEDs resolve the problem of end mounted LEDs not providing light out to the sides. They are brighter than the incandescents they replaced. Part of the reason they look brighter is that they are instant on while the stock bulbs need to warm up and cool down when lighting.

I purchased them in one of the auto parts stores, but don't remember which one. I've checked since and only one of the stores carry them. They're usually on a rack of their own and each pair comes packaged with a small batter and a button you can push to demonstrate what one of the bulbs looks like lit up.

Thanks for the response, I searched online to no avail, but will try what's been suggested here. Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Shuey

Shuey,

With all due respect, sir, everybody on this Forum with a Gen3 bike is interested in any farkle/mod that is made or attempted. Especially lighting. And folks will probably still be interested in this farkle/mod ten years from now when they're buying our used Gen3's.

Uncle Hud

If you look closely at my post, you will see the sarcastic smiley face.....

Everyone here is looking for good performing LED replacement bulbs and any help/suggestions would be great...

Pretty much the same reason one comes here to learn, ask questions, seek help for a problem they have - I guess I thought we have all come to believe in giving back to the greater good.....

You can't come in here and say you swapped to a LED bulb and not mention which one or how the swap went aside from brighter and faster blinking
wink.png

So . . .

Brake Light Bulbs: Pilot - White, LED, #1157, 15 LEDs per bulb, "Super Bright LEDS", "NO ERROR MESSAGES CAN BUS LED"

Turn Signal Bulbs: Pilot - Amber, LED, #1156, 15 LEDs per bulb, "Super Bright LEDS", "NO ERROR MESSAGES CAN BUS LED"

The 15 LEDs resolve the problem of end mounted LEDs not providing light out to the sides. They are brighter than the incandescents they replaced. Part of the reason they look brighter is that they are instant on while the stock bulbs need to warm up and cool down when lighting. Thanks for the response, I searched online to no avail, but will try what's been suggested here. Thanks. Hope that helps.

Shuey
Shuey,

SuperBrightLEDs.com lists #1157 and #1156 LED bulbs, but the CAN BUS versions of these bulbs bulbs are marked with the note:

"CAN Bus bulbs should not be used in non CAN Bus applications." Don't ask me why, but the LED company said that.

Is the FJR a "CAN (Controller Area Network) Bus" vehicle? Thanks.

Cheers,

Infrared

wink.png

So . . .

The 15 LEDs resolve the problem of end mounted LEDs not providing light out to the sides. They are brighter than the incandescents they replaced. Part of the reason they look brighter is that they are instant on while the stock bulbs need to warm up and cool down when lighting. Thanks for the response, I searched online to no avail, but will try what's been suggested here. Thanks. Hope that helps.

Shuey
Shuey,

SuperBrightLEDs.com lists #1157 and #1156 LED bulbs, but the CAN BUS versions of these bulbs bulbs are marked with the note:

"CAN Bus bulbs should not be used in non CAN Bus applications." Don't ask me why, but the LED company said that.

Is the FJR a "CAN (Controller Area Network) Bus" vehicle? Thanks.

Cheers,

Infrared
infrared . . . good question and I don't know the answer.

In posting the LED info I just typed what I read on the package. Other than that, they work well on my bike excepting the "bulb out" rapid flashing.

Shuey

PS: As for everyone else. See my other posts about my FJR farkeling adventures and determine for yourself if I "get" the concept of joining the information flow here.

PPS: Warpdrv . . . sorry, but I didn't notice the sarcastic smiley, I reacted to the words with what I had intended as a sarcastic reply. I'll be more careful in the future.

ahchin and escapefjrlist . . . thank you for your informative replies to my original question.
smile.png

I'm following up on your leads next.

Shuey

I just wish mammy-yammy would have put LED rear lights on the Gen III FJRs in the first place. The front turn signals are LEDs, they should have included the rear in the upgrade.Dan
That's one thing I don't get either. They put halos in front but didn't bother to update anything else. One thing at a time I guess.

The front was updated after seven years, so mcatrophy's prediction is that the rear will be updated for 2020
smile.png

Keep us posted on how things wok out Mr Shuey....

Perhaps with pics if you find the time....

I'd like to get some LED's up and running on the new machine and I got all winter to get things sorted...

Keep us posted on how things wok out Mr Shuey....
Perhaps with pics if you find the time....

I'd like to get some LED's up and running on the new machine and I got all winter to get things sorted...
Will do. escapefjrlist's Linky took me to TST Industries which looks promising AND on theirs the flash rate is adjustable. I'm calling them on Monday with some questions. If I'm lucky I'll reach "Bob" who will be able respond with, "Turn signal relay for an FJR1300, 2013 Mod 3, sure I've got plenty of those in stock and it'll ship today."

From their site their relay has 2 pins. I have no idea what the stock FJR relay has or it's configuration or . . . for that matter, where it is on my bike. As near as I can tell, it's one of 3 relays in front behind the left side plastic.

Anyone had the relay out yet and knows what it looks like? Bueller . . . anyone?

Stay tuned.

Shuey

[quote name="Shuey" post="1194849" timestamp="1416765592"... I have no idea what the stock FJR relay has or it's configuration or . . . for that matter, where it is on my bike. As near as I can tell, it's one of 3 relays in front behind the left side plastic.

Shuey

As far as I can tell, the Gen III doesn't use an electro-mechanical relay to flash the indicators, it uses the multifunction display module.

They will have retained the faster flash to show a failed rear bulb, so I believe your only option is to use ballast resistors in parallel with your rear LEDs.