Gen III (2014) with aftermarket air filter and 2 Brothers Exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbrmksmith

Reaction score
I've recently added a slip-on Two brothers exhaust to my 2014 FRJ1300ES. Sounds great but had an abrupt loss of power on acceleration a few days ago, suspect it cutout due to running too lean. I've ordered a Power Commander V and will add, but dynojet only showing a map for Vance and Hines with aftermarket air cleaner. I'll start with that map, but wondered if anyone has a map tuned for Gen IIIs with Two brothers exhausts. Thanks.

I have the exact same ES setup, Two Bros and a K&N, never had that issue. Wouldn't waste your $'s on the PCV with a Gen III. I had one on both my Gen II's to help smooth the throttle by tweaking the mapping and I think it also helped it rev smoother all the way to the redline. Worked well for that. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but because the Gen III's with the throttle by wire and improved factory mapping, don't need the PCV even with the slip ons. I've never felt any issue with the ES to have one or heard anyone on the forums that did. I would think it's something else at issue, sure someone here has a suggestion.

Does the FJR have a rev limiter ?
Yes, I believe it is at 9,500 RPM, just above the redline.

gbr, I have Two Bros on my '14ES and no problems for over 16k miles. If it was only once and during hard acceleration, I'd attribute it to just a hiccup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Silver above. Give it a try. Granted, paper filters aren't cheap, but you'll get your use out of it: it's certainly not money wasted.

Gary

Can't imagine that a replacement filter and slip-ons would cause the issue you've described. Agree with the others...get that K&N outta there and go back to stock filter.

--G

There is a lot of controversy about the effectiveness of filtration of the K&N filters. Some have claimed that they allow fine particulate to pass that would otherwise be stopped by a quality paper filter. They are "supposed" to breathe easier but getting enough air to the cylinders has never been an issue for the FJR - the beast already runs lean. The K&N certainly will not give you a bunch more horsepower!

If you use a K&N, the correct amount of oiling after cleaning is critical. Not enough and you will certainly have less filter efficacy. Too much and you will effectively remove the free-flowing nature of the filter and possibly mess up fuelling (and will likely gum up the airbox with some of the excess oil). My bike (bought used) came with a K&N filter. I swapped it for an OEM filter at the first major service.

Was out riding today and was able to recreate the cutout. It was definitely running up against the rev limiter, this time I was paying attention to the tachometer.