Zumo 550 Motorcycle Cradle and the Mini-USB plug-in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustOff

Reaction score
I pulled my Zumo 550 out of the box after a while not using it. I will be incorporating on the FJR. On my last bike, I never hard-wired it. Just charged it up and hoped I wouldn't run out of battery for the trips I did. Pretty successful and pretty lazy. Not going that route this time. So when I look at the motorcycle cradle for the Zumo, I see the mini-USB directly facing the back of Zumo. This creates an issue when the Zumo is in the cradle as there is no room for both. I don't get it. What is the use of having the mini-USB in the motorcycle mount cradle?

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:

Here are the directions that came with it that look as if the mini-USB port should be going out the side. Not the case with the actual cradle in hand.

What I'm doing is weighing options to hard-wiring into the bike.

Thanks for any insight.

With the proper cable attached to the cradle the USB isn't in use. When you put the unit on the cradle it powers up thru the contacts on the bottom.

I have an older model that does not have the mini-USB port you have the cord plugged into. However, the other port above the mini port is the same as mine. That is where the power cord attaches and is screwed in.
Looks like this: https://m.ebay.com/itm/like/261240233139?lpid=82
I have the power cord attachment as well. Weighing the option of hard-wiring, I thought the mini-USB would be easy but the way it's orientated, not going to happen when you try to mount the Zumo. On a higher order, why have it? I might have to call Garmin tomorrow to understand what the deal is. Sad that I have had the thing since "08 and seeing the issue. LOL

My XM radio antenna is connected to the mini-usb connection.

Power cord for 12v hook-up in the top connection is inserted and screwed into place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power cord for 12v hook-up in the top connection is inserted and screwed into place.
Thanks Tanker for the info. I got a PM stating the same thing. I must have missed that in the manual. I have the power cord so now it's a matter of figuring out if I want to hard-wire it switched or not switched (I believe directly too the battery.) Open to suggestions and any step-by-steps.

I like my GPS unswitched. On the road it stays on all day, even at fuel and meal stops. I don't want to have to restart it several times a day and I can input data or check info while stopped. Running it directly off the battery will work since the power cord is fused. If you plan on adding more electric items, then a fuse block is a good idea.

I like my GPS unswitched. On the road it stays on all day, even at fuel and meal stops. I don't want to have to restart it several times a day and I can input data or check info while stopped. Running it directly off the battery will work since the power cord is fused. If you plan on adding more electric items, then a fuse block is a good idea.
+1. My Powerlet socket for the gps is wired directly to the battery with an in-line fuse. I like having it stay on all the time.

I agree.

Same here.. straight to the battery.

Thanks Tanker for the info. I got a PM stating the same thing. I must have missed that in the manual. I have the power cord so now it's a matter of figuring out if I want to hard-wire it switched or not switched (I believe directly too the battery.) Open to suggestions and any step-by-steps.
I prefer mine being hooked to switched power through a FZ-1 Fuse block. With this fuse block you can have the piece of equipment powered constantly or switched. If you are going to be powering multiple items, a fuse block of some sort is the way to go.

https://fuzeblocks.com/

The Zumo 550 gives you 30 seconds after the power is turned off to decide if you want to continue on with internal battery usage while your stopped for a break and such. If you want it off, there is no need to touch anything.

I prefer mine being hooked to switched power through a FZ-1 Fuse block. With this fuse block you can have the piece of equipment powered constantly or switched. If you are going to be powering multiple items, a fuse block of some sort is the way to go.
I also use a FZ-1 Fuze Block but just choose to use the unswitched option. That's the great thing about the FZ-1, you get to make a choice...... it's just that some people make the wrong choice.....
rolleyes.gif

I'm for unswitched.

Even if you press the screen button that pops up when power is switched off, it used to break my trip logs into new segments at each power switch. Not a huge deal. But then there are times you are preoccupied and don't catch the pop-up.

I have a cradle installed on my Vstrom that is wired to always be hot. I've left the zumo in that cradle for multiple days of non-use and it doesn't draw enough to bother the battery as long as the zumo is powered off. I figure that once the zumo's internal battery is charged up there is no more draw on the bike's battery.