Tecno Globe ''Koso Appolo'' Heated Grips With Embedded Controller On The Left Grip!+(Photos)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihalis fjr

Reaction score
I just saw these beautiful ''made in france''heated grips.The nice thing is that the controller is embedded on the left grip!

A member in the fjr forum Italy,he installed them and told me that they works great and also they are very hot!

They are available in 120mm or 130mm long.The price is about $130.

The 130mm is the right size!

https://www.tecnoglobe.be/en/9039-heated-equipments

https://www.tecnoglobemoto.com/lang-en/poignees-chauffantes-tg/420-tg-poignees-chauffantes-gold-120-mm.html

For USA

https://www.yocracing.com/accessory_store/store/yoc_viewItem.asp?idProduct=735168

https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/apollo-heated-grips/

pcgold_switch_zpsb4727bf7.jpg

gold_004__800_zps5c37e363.jpg

1466211_969021083126618_2529198887790073730_n_zps6ea254e2.jpg

10360635_969021136459946_6670963533214989392_n_zpse45d4454.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it looks slick. I couldn't find a watt claim or current draw. Our FJRs have two different size handlebars due to the throttle tube but I didn't see a bar size. The way the switch housing moved in the grip looked a bit worrisome for durability. The number of power steps is better than some controllers that aren't infinitely adjustable knob pots. I also couldn't find a review, mebby they are just new and specs and reviews will happen in English.

The Oxford grips and a known and come at a real good price. I have seen a similar heated grip setup, wonder if I can find it...

DING -- the grips were A'ME heated grips. They were discussed on the Forum some time ago. These grips are also available with a battery kit for bicycles.

Well, it looks slick. I couldn't find a watt claim or current draw. Our FJRs have two different size handlebars due to the throttle tube but I didn't see a bar size. The way the switch housing moved in the grip looked a bit worrisome for durability. The number of power steps is better than some controllers that aren't infinitely adjustable knob pots. I also couldn't find a review, mebby they are just new and specs and reviews will happen in English.
The Oxford grips and a known and come at a real good price. I have seen a similar heated grip setup, wonder if I can find it...
The member from the fjr forum Italy has install the 130mm version on his 03 without a problem.They are 48 watt.You can't find many reviews because it is a new product.I found this : https://www.st-owners.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-135536.html

I like them, nice looking set up.

The FJR will be due for a new [better] set of heated grips in the not-so-distant future. Once the durability of these is determined, definitely something to consider.

--G

I have the Oxford original in my other bike and they works great for three years now.Excellent heated grips,but the embedded controller on these grips make the trick!I like them!I think that is the best solution for the 01-05 fjr!Also and for the Gen 2 or 3 bikes if you need to replace the OEM.I don't know about the durability because it is a new product,but i hope that they are good quality...The Tecno Globe is an old company and from what i know they make high quality products.

Later i will post some photos how they look on the fjr!They look great on and fit perfect with the lines of the fjr!Really beautiful design!
smile.png

They look similar with the OEM design plus the embedded controller on!

More like $140, and then there is that shipping thing.

Is the controller actually in the grip, or is that just the switch. I'd bet the latter and that there is still a controller box somewhere that they do not show in the pictures with the actual components that do the power modulation / switching.

Not sure I like the switch embedded in the grip idea all that much. If the switch goes out you'll have to replace the grip too. A good set of heated grip elements coupled to a Warm n' Safe infinitely variable grip controller works very well.

They only say the switch is integrated in the grip. Looking as the wire bundle leaving the left grip I expect there is an external power controller.

tg-poignees-chauffantes-gold-120-mm.jpg

Warm 'n Safe and Oxford are proven good over time (reliable) with an established US distribution network.

Here how they look in the bike,i don't know if they have an external power controller,but i will make a question to him.

1466211_969021083126618_2529198887790073730_n_zps6ea254e2.jpg

10360635_969021136459946_6670963533214989392_n_zpse45d4454.jpg

10410748_969021189793274_5719911376807563372_n_zpsbf2d6cca.jpg

10302440_969021283126598_7228408172384797527_n_zps155a08d9.jpg

1907869_969021243126602_1034217962656159544_n_zps55a96878.jpg

Having almost convinced myself that spending another $140 was good idea I have decided to go a different way.

I have, in the shop, nichrome wire, 1/16th" heatshrink and a couple of PWM controllers with remote switches ... So I will make my own for $0 instead.

All I need is a small amount of bargrip diameter heatshrink.

I'll take pics and write it up.

Great idea if you will enjoy the time making them. I generally do, which is why I often go that route even if it costs me (almost) the same money, The big advantage here is that you know exactly who to complain to if/when things don't work to your full expectations.
wink.png

Great idea if you will enjoy the time making them. I generally do, which is why I often go that route even if it costs me (almost) the same money, The big advantage here is that you know exactly who to complain to if/when things don't work to your full expectations.
wink.png
I always complain to the wife, and she never listens so it's all good :D

I have the materials, and I enjoy the tinkering. This one is easy, I'm just surprised it took me so long to think of doing it. One bonus is that it will allow me to keep the "Grip Puppy over Stock Grip" arrangement that I like a lot.

For someone other than Twigg trying this at home, you need to know the wire gauge and the ohms per foot to arrive at ~2 ohms per grip for a series connection or 4 ohms for a parallel connection. Arriving at the resistance is calculating how may inches of nichrome wire you need for that current limit. In a picky world you would also like to know the metal ratio (like 80%/20%) to understand how the resistance changes with temperature, but since the thermal rise is so low for grips that the metal ratio doesn't matter a whole lot.

I'll include that info in the write-up. My wire is 2.6 Ohms per foot.

Roughly 4.5 feet will give 15W of heat at a nominal 13.8V ... purrrrfect :D

Having almost convinced myself that spending another $140 was good idea I have decided to go a different way.
I have, in the shop, nichrome wire, 1/16th" heatshrink and a couple of PWM controllers with remote switches ... So I will make my own for $0 instead.

All I need is a small amount of bargrip diameter heatshrink.

I'll take pics and write it up.
You mean a bit like the ones I did for my Trophy some years back?

(Click on image for larger view)

Full write-up here.

Latest posts