How hot is normal of Gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTitan

Reaction score
Newbie ... just had my first spirited ride on FJR ... WOW!! I am a little surprised by the heat. 70 degree day, 50 mile ride. Some stop and go but not unusual. Frame member next to my calves was hot enough that I could not hold my hand on it for any length of time. Is this normal?

that is normal. the ol gal can put off some heat. there are days where the heat feels good and days where it is not so good. gotta take the good with the bad

Yeah - it's nice in the winter time, but the furnace blaster takes some getting used to.

Your bike temperature readout should be at 2 bars at speed, bumping up to 3 bars during extended idle or slow speed traffic. At 4 bars, the fan should kick on and remain on until the readout drops to 3 bars, then shut itself off automatically. Of course, your coolant level should be at least at the "low" point for the overflow tank at cold engine, and no higher than the "high" point while the fan is running. I set my level at the mid-point with a cold engine and it seems to work fine.

Otherwise, my goretex lined boots seem to insulate a good bit against the foot/ankle heat. A full tank of gas also acts as a pretty good heat sink. BION - when I'm touring in hot weather, and know that slow speed or traffic is ahead, I'll sometimes fill up the tank for a little relief.

I basically have no problem with the heat on my '04. The gas tank *does* get hot in the summer when it gets below 1/2 a tank so I keep it filled as I can. Even in the 90º-100º range I don't find it hotter than most other bikes. I do wear ATGATT. When it gets colder the heat seems to be more noticeable by contrast to the cold.

I feel that my bike runs cool enough that heat isn't an issue. A friend swapped FJRs with me but he could only stand the heat from my blast furnace FJR for 2-3 minutes before he had to swap bikes back again. Personal sensitivity seems to play a role in just how hot the FJR is perceived to be.

Pretty normal!But as ''escapefjrtist'' and ''hppants''said:Great in the winter!As about the summer,she burns my b...s in the hot summer at 90-100 F..
smile.png
smile.png

I am surprised a little that you feel too much the heat at 70F..!Another good solution is this kit :https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-FJR1300-FJR-HOT-TANK-HEAT-FIX-INSULATION-KIT-/191207982290?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c84e244d2&vxp=mtr

My bike (same as yours) is not appreciably hotter than a Gen 2 after completing the heat fix. Personally I'd wait until spring because a little extra heat is welcome in winter.

FJR heat fix left

FJR right side fix

Speedzone Heat Fix Insulation Kit

That's it. Just do it. The insulation that goes behind the lower side fairings is just the same stuff you will find in an air conditioner insulation kit, and you can get it at most hardware stores or Home Depot. From start to finish, expect to complete all the fixes in less than 3-hours and a half a six pack. Good luck!

If the temp gauge isn't in the red, then the motor's fine. Wear some decent riding gear and you'll be shielded from the the air flow... and the pavement.

I came from a C10 Concours and that sombitch fried my shins on hot days in slow traffic.

Seriously expected to see blisters when I'd take my pants off.

My first Gen FJR is never an issue. I guess it's a matter of what you compare it to.

144 HP = 107,381 Watts That's a lot of heat to dissipate.

Pulling a couple of plug wires would solve a lot of that.
smile.png

I got tired of my Gen 2 buddy singing "Chestnuts Roasting on and Open Fire". Honest, I didn't feel a thing.

Shortly afterward, I had to seek hormone replacement therapy.
flirt.gif

Don't take chances! Fix the heat and get a Gen 3.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike (same as yours) is not appreciably hotter than a Gen 2 after completing the heat fix. Personally I'd wait until spring because a little extra heat is welcome in winter.
FJR heat fix left

FJR right side fix

Speedzone Heat Fix Insulation Kit

That's it. Just do it. The insulation that goes behind the lower side fairings is just the same stuff you will find in an air conditioner insulation kit, and you can get it at most hardware stores or Home Depot. From start to finish, expect to complete all the fixes in less than 3-hours and a half a six pack. Good luck!
Ahhh - the old "Chromeit" left side heat fix. It works too. Good find Tom, beat me too it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie ... just had my first spirited ride on FJR ... WOW!! I am a little surprised by the heat. 70 degree day, 50 mile ride. Some stop and go but not unusual. Frame member next to my calves was hot enough that I could not hold my hand on it for any length of time. Is this normal?
You had me at 70 degree day.

RadioHowie?!?! Those are YOUR legs?!?! Wow, I had pictured something very different ....