FJR Gen1(2004--13.6kmiles) Hard starting after 6 week rest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTGuy

Reaction score
Along the western shore of Lake Champlain, November 24th may have turned out to be the last (most perfect) day to drive the bike up to Plattsburgh NY for some new pilot road 4 tires to be installed, and a NY state inspection performed before winter. I purchased the bike exactly one year ago in wester NY, so my inspection expiration falls on Nov 30. When i drove the bike from Erie Pa on October 9th, I semi-stored the bike for the winter, but also knew that NY inspection was due???? Nevertheless, i had to return to Erie via Amtrak, not to return again until Thanksgiving time. I made the trip here on Saturday and waited for the right time do this task. Monday(nov24) started out quite rainy. But the forecast said that by 12 noon, the sun would be out with temperatures in the 50s. After speaking with the dealer at 8am about my chances of getting this work done, I prepared the bike for the trip by lashing the newly purchased tires to be the seat and pointing it outward. I DID not think i needed to test fire it, however.

At 11:30am, the sun was indeed out, and the roads were almost dry. So.. now was the time, I hopped on and started to crank it. I cranked it and I cranked it. But, to no avail. I hooked up the charger to offset the heavy demand i was placing on the battery. Then i cranked it again, and heard it fire--once. The was encouraging as it suggested that it was at least capable of getting a spark-- i already smelled fuel. I waited a few more minutes and then started spinning it again, while jabbing the throttle open and shut. Finally, it caught and started. What a relief. No more problems with it for the rest of the day.

So.. after driving this bike for a year about 8000 miles, it has started flawlessly until yesterday. Since owning this bike i have never let it sit more than 3 weeks before lighting it up. Apparently, 6 weeks is just too long to let it sit. OR IS IT? All that time, i had been on a trickle charger so the battery, so it was in prime condition and it certainly proved it was not the least bit marginal as it cranked this thing for quite a long time.

So... i thought i would just add this minor experience to the mix and see what long time FJR folk would say happened here?

Thanks

Jrc

This problem is all too common, and is most likely a flooded engine. The solution is to hold the throttle wide open and crank. Do not overheat the starter, it may take a few tries. I had this happen last month, and I used the throttle lock to hold open the throttle. It took at least a half-dozen tries letting the battery recharge between attempts. Once you do start the bike, ride it at least a half-hour. Chances are this won't recur for a long time, and it usually happens when the bike is started but not fully warmed up before being shut down. Kind of unpredictable and frustrating, but not anything seriously wrong.

Read the pinned thread here. Happens quite often, though I never experienced it in >90k miles and > 8 years of ownership of my '05. And the '05 sat for longer than 6 weeks a few of the winters.

Just had this happen to my 03. Had to recharge the battery several times to finally get it started at WOT.

With the theory out there that by turning the key on without starting it yet activating the fuel pump thus causing a possible fueling issue, I've gotten into the habit of being mindful of the kill switch. With that in the Off position the fuel pump won't go on with the ignition. There's been countless times I've been in the garage and turned the key for various reasons, e.g. farkling, check odo, etc. and never gave a thought about the pump pressurizing each time. Now it's become a two step process, check switch-turn key, before doing so. Can't say for sure if I'm preventing anything but can't see it hurting to do so either.

Btw, hard start happened to me once (maybe twice?) since I've owned it.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the theory out there that by turning the key on without starting it yet activating the fuel pump thus causing a possible fueling issue, I've gotten into the habit of being mindful of the kill switch. With that in the Off position the fuel pump won't go on with the ignition. There's been countless times I've been in the garage and turned the key for various reasons, e.g. farkling, check odo, etc. and never gave a thought about the pump pressurizing each time. Now it's become a two step process, check switch-turn key, before doing so. Can't say for sure if I'm preventing anything but can't see it hurting to do so either.
Goodl idea. Can't hurt.

Agree, I leave the kill switch in the kill position when the bike's parked any length of time so I can turn it on w/o turning the fuel pump.

Agree, I leave the kill switch in the kill position when the bike's parked any length of time so I can turn it on w/o turning the fuel pump.
Good to know.

I'll be doing it that way from now on.

Good to know.

I'll be doing it that way from now on.
Just remember to remove the key so you know you've not left the ignition (and headlights) on.

Why do people think it's good to "smell gas" when trying to start a fuel injected motorcycle? If you smell fuel, there's too much of it in there and it's being pushed put the exhaust valves. Meaning, you flooded it somehow.

FI is great, but carburetors made us smarter.

Why do people think it's good to "smell gas" when trying to start a fuel injected motorcycle? If you smell fuel, there's too much of it in there and it's being pushed put the exhaust valves. Meaning, you flooded it somehow.
FI is great, but carburetors made us smarter.
Why don't you write a song about it. You could call it "Fuel Injection killed the Carburetor Star". You could end up being bigger than the Buggles.

You could end up being bigger than the Buggles.
The Who? No, wait, that wasn't what I meant, no, never mind
mda.gif

Scary I know, but a thought struck me. It's been a while since I had one so bear with me here as I ramble:

a) No start condition- some have it, some don't.

2) Engine kill switch- some use it (regularly), some don't.

Wonder if there's a correlation.

Carry on.