Ride around the Salton Sea

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I am not certain if this report is a ride report, injury report or maybe an other bike report, but here it is.

I purchased a 2014 650 V-Strom while in Oregon this summer. I plan to keep it in California for my winter riding.
bike.gif
My wife didn't want me to ride it down here so I had it shipped by a local motorcycle shipping company. It turned out to be a wise decision considering that we had rain and high winds from Salem all the way to Sacramento.

The bike arrived a few days behind us in a long trailer loaded with bikes sitting side by side. Next to mine was and identical bike, same year, same color. Tony the driver, who I had met in Salem when I delivered the bike for shipping, made a point of showing this to me. He told me that he would tell the other owner and thought that maybe the two of us would like to go on some rides together.

After Tony made the delivery to the other owner he called with his phone number. I called and found that he is from Beaverton, OR and lives in LaQuinta about five miles from my home in Bermuda Dunes. We decided to meet for coffee on Wednesday and then take a ride around the Salton Sea.

On the day beforeI decided to prepare our golf cart for selling. Won't be needing it anymore after quitting the CC in the spring. While vacuuming the carpets I decide to vacuum under the seat. I raised it up began vacuuming when suddenly the heavy seat with its metal leading edge came down on my arm and hand tearing off most of the skin on the back of my hand. I rushed into the house with a trail of blood behind me and asked my wife to drive me to the ER in Indio. She wrapped a towel around my hand and we took off for the ER. They took me right in and they pulled the skin back in place and applied small band aids to hold it there. They then bandaged the hand up and made me wait until they thought the bleeding had stopped. Then I was released to go home.

Picture of Bandages Hand

DSCN0319.jpg

for those of you with stronger stomachs here is a picture without the bandages a week or so later.

https://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee190/maness4golf/DSCN0332.jpg

I was really looking forward to meeting Jim and putting some miles on the new bike and nothing was going to stop me. It only had 80 miles on it at that time. Wednesday morning I couldn't get a glove on over the bandages, so I took off to meet Jim with one glove. We did the introduction and coffee bit and took off on the ride around the Salton Sea. We stopped in Brawley, CA for lunch and had some yummy fish tacos.

Jim at the Salton Sea with his Wee Strom

DSCN0320.jpg

Jerry with the Sea in the back round and of course his red Wee Strom.

DSCN0321.jpg

Fish Tacos. Best I have ever had.

DSCN0322.jpg

I discovered during the ride that it was painful pulling in the clutch and the wind blowing over the hand at speed hurt like hell. I spent most of the 200 plus ride with only my right hand on the bars, keeping the left hand sheltered from the wind. By the time I arrived home I was exhausted from the pain and the one hand riding.

A few days later I realized that the hand was infected. I have Kaiser Insurance so I went to their Palm Desert Clinic. They were shocked that with such a large open wound the ER hadn't prescribed a strong antibiotic. They cleaned the wound applied new bandages and told me to come back in couple of days for a bandage change and doctor inspection. They also gave me a prescription for a powerful antibiotic. I was also told not to use the hand until the infection was gone.

It has been three weeks since the incident and I went in yesterday for my last bandage change. I will be taking care of the hand on my own from now on. I did take a solo trip last Wednesday after the painful ordeal of getting a glove over the much thinner bandages. I took a little 220 mile trip around the Joshua Tree National Park

Jim and I hit off and had planned on weekly rides, but were unable to ride together again because of my injury. He left for Beaverton the 19th to spend the holidays with his family and will not be back until January. By the way, I sold that evil golf cart.

Sure, it's a ride report. Even with the painful hand sounds like you might have had a decent day riding with a new friend. All good. Btw, did you sell the evil clubs also?
smile.png

Good luck too with the new bike. You might find the little six-fiddy addicting. Three quick suggestions if I may: Techspec, Madstad, and those warning decals by the tank peel off real easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking ride Jerry. Glad to see the Wee out and enjoying the desert!

Nice to see the blue sky is still there...
cold.gif

--G

Wicked looking bandage, and I'm not checking out the strong-stomach link. Glad you're healing.

I always knew golf carts were dangerous, Jer. Besides, golf was meant for walking from way back when the devil's game was invented conjured in the Scottish moors.

Glad that dangerous cart hasn't unduly interfered with your enjoyment of the far safer and more refined pastime of riding motorcycles. It seems you now have the definitive last word in disagreements with the wife about the safety of (2 vs. 4 wheeled) motorized vehicles.

Besides the safety inherent in their two wheeled designs, those are two damn sharp lookin WeeStroms you gentlemen snowbirds brought south with you. :)

Sure, it's a ride report. Even with the painful hand sounds like you might have had a decent day riding with a new friend. All good. Btw, did you sell the evil clubs also?
smile.png

Good luck too with the new bike. You might find the little six-fiddy addicting. Three quick suggestions if I may: Techspec, Madstad, and those warning decals by the tank peel off real easy.
Going to play golf twice a week. Have to keep the other half happy and golf is her only physical outlet.

Thanks for the heads up on Madstad. The existing wind screen is practically worthless.

Yes, I have ridden Box Canyon Rd numerous times when I had my Harley Heritage down here. Fun road. What's this take your time bullshit. Takes all the fun out of the road. I mentioned riding around Joshua Tree National Park last week and that is the route I took. I didn't cross the freeway and enter the park, but got on the freeway and got off at Desert Center and continued around the park to Twenty-Nine Palms and Desert Hot Springs. It was a fun ride. I may write a report in the future. Have pictures.

A road I would like to ride is Berdoo Canyon Road. It takes off of Dillon Road and ends up in the Park. It starts out paved, but I am sure that it becomes a jeep trail. I have ridden through small patches of sand with the Wee and found it to be rather squirrelly. Make me pucker real big. I won't tackle this road without company. I also need to develop my technique in sand. I am afraid of riding in it at this time.

Hi Jer,

I hope you are otherwise enjoying your "winter", and I hope the hand is healing nicely.

We'll be having a rainy Thanksgiving here.

Nice V-Strom!

John

Hi Jer,
I hope you are otherwise enjoying your "winter", and I hope the hand is healing nicely.

We'll be having a rainy Thanksgiving here.

Nice V-Strom!

John
Good to hear from you John. Hope your beautiful red machine is back in pristine condition. Have a great Thanksgiving.

We had a typical winter day here, 76 degrees under blue skies.

Take care of that hand. Sounds like your healing nicely. I like your new Vstrom. Nice to have met a like minded Oregonian. You guys can enjoy some regular mischief.

Latest posts