First real ride on AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddletramp

Reaction score
I decided working in my office at home made sense today. I had paperwork to complete & I knew customer calls would be minimal. But...The weather was 64 degrees, winds calm, & dry roads. My recently purchased FJR1300AE was calling my name. My wife was working on a project in her home office & I proposed a ride. She started putting on her leathers. We test rode the FJR a few weeks back but it was a windy day & cold so the ride was short.

As we left our residence, the bike needed fuel, so our initial ride was in some fairly heavy city traffic to get fuel. I learned two things right away. The first was... don't blip the throttle unless you're in neutral & when you leave the gas station remember to turn on the electric shifter! Okay, I was a klutz at first. My wife just giggled in our Bluetooth helmets.

Once on the road, it was fantastic! I quickly recalled why I loved my 2005 FJR so much. The FJR holds the road like it's on rails & it just begs to be zoomed around the curves. Even with the stock windshield the wind protection & smooth airflow was so much better than our Super Tenere.

We rode approx. 40 miles on windy, two-lane roads & ended up in front of a brew pub in the small town of Dayton, WA.

On the ride home, I pushed the bike a bit. My wife loved it. We effortlessly passed slow traffic without downshifting. The speedometer slid into the century mark several times without much effort. We both wondered what possessed us to sell our 2005 FJR.

Bonus. We had empty saddlebags & it was so great being able to lock our expensive helmets in the saddlebags. Believe me, when you don't have that option you miss it.

We foresee ourselves burning up the miles on some long-distant rides this spring/summer.

Several times as we rode home, I said to my wife...did I mention how much I love riding this bike? I could feel her smile through both helmets!

My wife summed it up well. Riding on an FJR for us, is like going home.

Yep, it doesn't take too long to fall in love with that trigger. We all went through the honking the horn when wanting to downshift, forgetting to press the green bottom and learning real quick that you Can't blip the throttle unless it's in neutral. It took me all of maybe 50 miles or so. Just wait til you get spoiled rotten being able to go through the gears at the blink of an eye. You're going to love that bike, Tramp. Happy Trails! :D

Great to see you got it out for a ride. That bike loves triple digits.
rolleyes.gif

If I wasn't cooking for the next 3-4 hours, I'd be out riding right now! I don't remember such a sunny/mild Thanksgiving up here in Washington.