Good deal or not on 08 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstewart

Reaction score
I traded my 08 FJR to a local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealer in Sept. 2013. The FJR had 25,600 miles on it and is in perfect cosmetic and mechanical condition. Tires have less than a thousand miles on them & the battery was new when I made the trade. They still have the bike on the sales floor and have repeatedly reduced the asking price. It is now priced at $6,995. The bike is stock except for a set of BMW touring grips, and a 12V accessory plug. Seems like a pretty good deal for a 08 FJR it top condition. If I had not purchased a new 2014 FJR ES last spring I would buy it back at that price. What do you guys think?

How much trade did they give you? If you lose money by paying the dealer's mark-up, based on what value they give you, then you're essentially paying more money than they gave you for them storing it for you. What would be the point?

It's a good deal for somebody, but competition is steep. In this economy, there's good deals everywhere. I don't think I would put this in the great deal category however.

FleaBay completed auctions is the place to check. You will be amazed at the deals (that have actually been sold).

It is a sad fact that with the introduction of the Gen 3 (2013) FJR, the used value of Gen 1 FJRs, Gen 2 FJRs and all Honda ST1300s dropped. With the 2014 ES announcement, those prices once again dropped. There are some fantastic bargains out there right now on motorcycles that we would all have been proud to own just a couple years ago.

Of course if you like your old '08 and you miss it... Sometimes it is worth any amount of money to get a motorcycle you really want.

Yeah, the eBay sold history is pretty telling:

2008 - 14k miles, bad tires $5400

2009 - 30K miles, scratches $5500

2007 - 20K miles, nice bike, $5999

You may be able to get $7000 for the bike, but probably not till next spring. Similar bikes fetching $7,000 currently all seem to have very low mileage (under or around 10,000).

Last edited by a moderator:
They gave me $8,400 for the bike 18 months ago. I don't want to buy it back, I was just wondering if it was a fair price for a 08 FJR that is cosmetically like new. .

$8400 eighteen months ago was a screaming deal for you!

Price today seems fair based on what FJRs typically bring, although as others have said, prices are dropping rapidly now. Once spring arrives, things will firm up again until the next models are released. It's a viscous cycle every year...

--G