To WRR or not to WRR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILS27R

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I have a 2014A and I absolutely love it. It is easily my favorite of all the bikes I've owned.

With that being said, I've recently developed a secret fetish for small bikes. Every time I see a little CBR or Ninja 250 I think how much fun it would be to have a small, light, nimble bike that I could really ride the snot out of. It would be great for running from red light to red light and short trips around the neighborhood where the FJR might be considered overkill.

Then this past spring we did some dual sport riding on Maui (including riding the road to Hana two up on a KLR650... Awesome!) I saw a bunch of guys running around on 250s. Acouple of WR250Rs, a CRF250L, and a very nice looking, lime green, KLX250.

That's when the light bulb went on. A 250 dual sport would probably a lot of fun for blasting around the neighborhood and I could get back to trail riding and exploring the off road. I could even throw it in the back of the truck and take it along on camping trips and so on.

I checked out a couple of CRF250Ls on Craigslist. It's a nice bike but it didn't really speak to me. Then I looked at a WR250R and I really liked it. All of the reviews I've read say that it is reliable, low maintenance, and most important, fun.

So, do any of you have a 250 as a companion to your FJR? Is it as much fun as I think it will be or will I get bored after a few months? I did some trail riding on a WR250F. It had plenty of power and I appreciated its minimal weight but the WRR is heavier and less powerful.

I've thought about a 650 but I don't see myself banging out thousands of miles on the highway or carrying a passenger all that much. Plus, I swore I'd never own another carburetor!

Thoughts? Opinions?

I have a 2008 WRR. Bought it used in 2011. It had less than 400 kms on it. It now has 3000kms on it. At this rate it will last my lifetime easily. LOL Where I am there is not a lot of off road stuff. I have to truck it a few hours away to see some nice off road stuff.

The 250 feels like a bicycle compared to the FJR. I like the fuel injection. I have added hand guards, bigger gas tank, happy trail racks and hard bags.

If I had to do it over again, would I buy the WRR yes

I have a 2013 Yamaha XT 250. It's road legal and insured. I really enjoy it. I have access to thousands of kilometers of logging roads etc. right at my door step.At 62 I don't have to concern myself with getting it on the back of my pick up truck. My son in law liked mine so much he got one for himself. Light,reliable, and most of all fun.

I have a '14 CRF250L, nice bike typical Honda quality etc. My inseam is 28" so that somewhat limited my choice, (probably would have got a KTM if I was "issued" longer legs). CRFL is a bit low on power but probably just as well as It helps to keep my 76 year old butt out of trouble. I too have a 2014 FJRES and yes it is fun to have a play bike.

Pat

CRF250L here as well.

The FJR is strictly for traveling or day trips. The 2Fitty is my daily driver. I keep toying with the idea of putting some SuperMoto rims and tires on it. Then I remember it has 23hp and that's just crazy talk.

Looking forward to getting it down to FODS in WV in June. I might even ride it down!

All that being said, if I were to do it over again, I'd likely spring for a WRR as well. I looked and looked but couldn't find a decent enough one when the time came. Especially after Huron52 scooped that one he's riding
biggrin.png

Me, Huron52 and Yamafitter at FODS North last year.

Img_1774.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Bungie...Could you have taken a picture from any farther away? I've seen satellite pictures with better detail than that.
Zilla, Ya big goof! Who wants close ups of some crazy Kunucks when you have a beautiful scene like that, with log buildings, log fences and some nice country side?

Let me start by saying that I have a 2014A and I absolutely love it. It is easily my favorite of all the bikes I've owned.
With that being said, I've recently developed a secret fetish for small bikes. Every time I see a little CBR or Ninja 250 I think how much fun it would be to have a small, light, nimble bike that I could really ride the snot out of. It would be great for running from red light to red light and short trips around the neighborhood where the FJR might be considered overkill.

Then this past spring we did some dual sport riding on Maui (including riding the road to Hana two up on a KLR650... Awesome!) I saw a bunch of guys running around on 250s. Acouple of WR250Rs, a CRF250L, and a very nice looking, lime green, KLX250.

That's when the light bulb went on. A 250 dual sport would probably a lot of fun for blasting around the neighborhood and I could get back to trail riding and exploring the off road. I could even throw it in the back of the truck and take it along on camping trips and so on.

I checked out a couple of CRF250Ls on Craigslist. It's a nice bike but it didn't really speak to me. Then I looked at a WR250R and I really liked it. All of the reviews I've read say that it is reliable, low maintenance, and most important, fun.

So, do any of you have a 250 as a companion to your FJR? Is it as much fun as I think it will be or will I get bored after a few months? I did some trail riding on a WR250F. It had plenty of power and I appreciated its minimal weight but the WRR is heavier and less powerful.

I've thought about a 650 but I don't see myself banging out thousands of miles on the highway or carrying a passenger all that much. Plus, I swore I'd never own another carburetor!

Thoughts? Opinions?
Not a dual sport but I bought a CBR250R to "learn on". After thrashing that bike for about 3K miles I finally graduated to the FJR. Can't say I miss getting blown all over the road while trying to maintain 60 MPH @ WOT in a stiff head wind. It's a fine bike - no doubt but the FJR is really much easier to ride in my book.

I still have the CBR250R, Lauren's not biting on it so will look for a good home in the spring.

Now the KLR650 is a whole different kettle of fish. I will have one of these before it's all done. Way to capable in so many areas for so cheap a price!

It's a pretty simple answer. It's a whole lot more fun riding a slow bike fast, than riding a fast bike slow. I love riding small bikes around, whacking it open, riding it to it's limit.

I have a 2012 KLX and love it. It's actually became my 'trip' bike, and the FJR only goes out on long rides or when I need to carry a passenger. If I was taller I'd have preferred the WRR, but at 5'9" the klx feels right. I've ridden a few WRR's and liked them.

Here I am trying to talk CJ into trading his WR for a real ORANGE bike!

My 690r weighs 25 lbs more than the little 250, but it has 70+ ponies.

FJR feels like a truck compared to the 690. FJR is way faster though

TransMassTrail-106_zps28e699e5.jpg