Basecamp update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed.

It was a bit weird. One part of the screen took them into account while the other didn't.

Glad they have fixed it ... Now I'd like to see the ability to add default layover times for various kinds of stop, and not have to enter them manually every time I change a route.

I usually add 5 minutes for a gas stop, and 7 minutes for a bonus stop. Be nice to have categories so that each waypoint added allows a layover that stays with that waypoint.

Ok, maybe they didn't quite fix the problem. Or is it just me.

It appears as though in adding layover time to total route time, they've included the time between current time and route planned start time as layover time.

So, if I create a route today to ride to Stagecoach on December 30 (doubt I will attend), Basecamp adds 600 some hours to the total time.

I don't think that is useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see on Garmin forums that a case was opened for this problem on 11/25.

Don't they beta test their updates? Seems like a lot of bugs being reported in this one.

Ok, maybe they didn't quite fix the problem. Or is it just me.
It appears as though in adding layover time to total route time, they've included the time between current time and route planned start time as layover time.

So, if I create a route today to ride to Stagecoach on December 30 (doubt I will attend), Basecamp adds 600 some hours to the total time.

I don't think that is useful.
Seems Basecamp may well be encouraging flower sniffing to the 10th power!

The search function has always been a little quirky. Saw this procedure on the Garmin forums and does give a clean search result. Seems like a lot of steps for a simple search.

- press the search icon right above
- press 'more' at 'points of interest'
- select food and drink - chinese - same problem as above ( the problem here is you don't see just chinese food, but see
all points of interest)

- then press options (upper right icon)
- at 'more options' chinese still is selected
- then press search: only chinese restaurants will show

I was playing around with the date on my pc. If I set it to the day my route starts, everything looks fine.

It seems Basecamp doesn't like advance planning.

I was playing around with the date on my pc. If I set it to the day my route starts, everything looks fine.It seems Basecamp doesn't like advance planning.
Maybe something is buggy in this version. I have never had problems planning rallies accurately with a start time/date set for a future date.

Hoping for a fix by Spring. Moonshine SS1K will be happening before you know it.

Actually an easy workaround, just set the start time to last year.

Twigg, when you do Rallies, do you organize your waypoints using Categories in Basecamp?

Hoping for a fix by Spring. Moonshine SS1K will be happening before you know it.
Actually an easy workaround, just set the start time to last year.

Twigg, when you do Rallies, do you organize your waypoints using Categories in Basecamp?
No, I haven't looked at that, but I will. I'd also like to be able to assign a default layover time for each category ... Gas stops, bonus stops, etc. That would make planning quicker and a bit easier.

I define each waypoint by symbol and color.

Red ... High Points

Blue ... Medium Points

Green ... Low Points

Then I use shapes to denote availability ...

Triangle ... Anytime

Circle ... Daylight

Square ... Time-restriction other than Daylight.

So a Red Circle indicates a high-point bonus only available in Daylight.

I use Orange for all bonuses that are part of a linked scheme.

Normally that is quite quick to do, and once done I set the screen to fill with all the bonuses, and sit and look at it for a while. I'm looking for patterns and bearing in mind the distance across the screen with the time available.

When patterns begin to take shape I grab the "route tool", and in a few clicks pull up a preliminary route (or three) ... Then it is a matter of refining them.

One useful trick is to bear in mind that you can normally reverse a route which sometimes brings unexpected opportunities. It's an art more than a science, but it is fun and BaseCamp is very well suited to planning this way in a manner that MapSource could not do so easily, even though MS still has its adherents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basecamp update 4.4.6 for Windows released. Fixes bugs in 4.4.4.

The total route time for future trips really has been fixed. Yay!

And the Search drop downs really display what you're looking for instead of all POI's. Yay!