Dragon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Rode from central Georgia to US129 and back today Nice ride. Dragon is deserted, all vendors closed up for the winter. Road was deserted. NC side was pristine and dry. TN side was a little greasy and dirty. Rode through some zero percent on the way back. All in all a great ride.

... the Sleeping Dragon! Sounds like quite a time.

Any pics of this deserted asphalt?

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the asphalt.
c864729b-0c0a-489e-8a3a-68285c4c619c.jpg

Must seem like a ghost town atmosphere, without all the madness.

Speaking of the Dragon, heard today that Tenn. will no longer allow large trucks on their end of it. I think NC already had that restriction. It won't eliminate surprises, but maybe lessen them.

<Erixun beat me to it....I type too slow>

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent most of my life in Tennessee. Historically, truckers ending up on 129 unintentionally has been more of a problem than those willfully subjecting themselves to the worst driving hell they could imagine. Talking about semi's specifically. A penalty on both sides is a very good thing though. It was a little odd just so no one. Better ride, but I did miss the photographers and getting to stop at the market.

The dragon is on my to do list, and I recently saw this story about banning bigger trucks on the road, so hopefully it will be less busy in the future as well...
For those wondering what the big deal is about semis on The Dragon (I've had people ask me because I've ridden the road), here is an old story with some *scary* pictures.

Imagine going around a blind corner, of which The Dragon has plenty, and seeing this. Happened to me once and I'm not afraid to admit, I may have soiled myself a little...