The Long Way Home (SW Germany to Southcoast UK)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euro-Feejer

Reaction score
After nearly two months on temporary assignment in the Black Forest of Germany, it was time to head home. I'll post the same map as the journey outward, with one variation (red line)... cutting a corner in Belgium to the city of Mons. I'll describe that stretch further in this post, as the only photos were from a stop on that "shortcut". The overall route avoids the many tollways in France that can add up a bit of cost when going the more direct routes of the French interior.

Map1_zpsf4786a45.jpg

Weather was a concern as I anticipated this end-of-November journey. The week-earlier forecasts were all over the place including freezing temps and flurries. As the potential departure days came nearer, things looked a bit more reasonable. I "committed" (by booking ferry crossing) to Saturday, Nov 22 when I saw that there was low chance of rain at various points along the way, and the temps would be enough above freezing to not worry about frost and ice on the roads.

Ferry timing meant leaving the Black Forest just before dawn. My adrenalin level was high the night before, messing with sleep, so I advanced departure time by about 2 hours (the DFDS ferry line I'd booked runs every two hours, and will allow catching the one just before or after the one booked with no extra charge, as long as there's room).

So, I rolled out at 4:30am, with temps just above 40F. The "dry" forecast didn't mention the fog I'd be forging most of the first 3 hours before dawn. Thankfully, much of the time, I was able to see the taillights of at least one vehicle ahead, so I could keep up with the France speed limits (70-80mph on the 4-laners and 55mph on the country roads). When temps dropped below 40F some stretches, had to tuck my feet a little closer to the motor for warmth. At times, the fog became heavy enough to require regular glove wipes across my visor.

One pleasant variation in the pre-dawn fog is worth mentioning. The two-lane stretch in France NW of Colmar involved climbing over a mountain range. Though the pass was over 3,000 feet elevation, the approach and descent took me above the fogbank. Not only did the temps rise to a comfortable 46F, but the stars were extra bright.

It was nice to get through a few cities in France (Nancy & Metz) before dawn. I surprised myself by making it all the way to my main fuel stop in Luzemburg without any need to stop/pee... over 3 hours. Gas in Luxemburg is considerably lower-priced than all the other countries I'd be near. The Luxemburg $5.70 per gallon was a relief over $7.10 in Germany, though still high by USA standards.

As the sun rose after Luxemburg, temps crept up past the mid-40s. Not only a good feeling having sun warming my back, but also lighting up all the scenery ahead. I was making good time on the 4-lane stretches, averaging 80mph, so apologies for no photos on those stretches.

The "Shortcut"

The monotony of the fast freeways, and being ahead of schedule (due to no stops the first 3+ hours) led me to opt for a two-lane country road in Belgium (that red line on the map). It added about 30 minutes of time, but was well worth it.

The two-laner meandered above the top edge of France, crossing in and out of that country at a couple border "fingers" poking into Belgium (see the map). In the first "finger" was a quaint French town named Givet, where I stopped for a few photos, peanut sustenance and some swigs of my 1-liter bottle of Schwip-Schwap (a German soft drink mix of coke and orange)...

SAM_9334_zpsd37b3bed.jpg

SAM_9333_zpsf560ff97.jpg

Though sunny, the humidity was high enough that the mirrors fogged at times until back on the freeways after Mons. Temps warmed up to 46-50F the rest of the way to the Dunkirk ferry, and the winds continued favorable (as they'd been most of the day), making the faster 80mph stretches more pleasant. Did one last tank-up in Dunkirk (France still cheaper than UK) before heading to the ferry terminal. Tried to nap the first hour of the 2-hour+ ferry journey.

As the ferry was slowly parking in Dover harbor, I messaged the little lady to say I'd be home 2 hours before planned, due to catching the earlier ferry. She was overjoyed to tears, as she would have been away from home at another commitment if I'd arrived per original schedule.

I was first off the ferry, beating the flow of big truck-trailers and other cars. I was prepared for some light rain this last stretch, but it had just passed on westward. Temps were surprisingly warm (nearly 60F) even as daylight disappeared those last two hours home. Roads were still a bit wet from rain, but the windscreen blocked most of the spray from traffic ahead. The garage door was open for me to roll right on in... Ahhhh, so nice to be home again.

And what better way to close than with a photo of the happy (that I'm back) little lady preparing Thanksgiving feast.

IMAG1785_zps73f14234.jpg

Trip Summary:

435 miles to Dunkirk ferry (8 hours in saddle)

110 miles, Dover to Worthing (2 hours " )

Ferry - 1 hour check-in/wait/loading + 2 hour 15 minute journey + unloading

14 hour total trip

Coldest (pre-dawn fog) 37F

Warmest (UK) 59F

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a nice, long ride through a wonderful area of the world, and....having her spoil you when you got home! Well done, sir. :)