Canada vs USA?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnKing2

Reaction score
No, it's not what you think. I was wondering about the differences (and the whys of them) between the Canadian 2014 FJR and the USA one. I've found three:

1) Color - Sexy Canadian Black versus gorgeous USA Red

2) Canadian bike can't be switched to USA measurements (mpg, mph, etc)

3) Canadian FJR doesn't include saddlebag liners

Anyone know of any more?

2) Canadian bike can't be switched to USA measurements (mpg, mph, etc)
For Gen 2 and 3 yes. Gen 1 can change the odometer and trip meter by a single button. (no mpg) Gen 3 can also be changed within the menu of choices. (edited to clarify Gen 3)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Canadian versions seem to be considerably more expensive, even after factoring in the exchange rate. And you can't buy a cheaper USA model and ride it north of the border and get the Canadian dealers to honor its factory warranty, so I hear. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to do the opposite? But then again, why would they?

US dealers are threathened with losing their right to sell the brand by the manufacturer if they sell to a Canadian customer. So, even if I wanted to make the trip down, I can't get a seller to make the deal.

The reason for the warranty issue is that for example, Yamaha Canada would have to pay for the warranty work from a bike that was sold in another country. Yamaha USA made money from the sale of the bike but Yamaha Canada is a different entity completely and they would lose out if they honored the warranty.

So, in the end, someone from the US should offer to be a middleman.... the US citizen buys the bike from the dealer at a good deal, sells the bike to a Canadian for a service fee and the Canadian still saves money in the end. Lots of paperwork (crossing at customs, plateing the bike with the province, etc) and if warranty service is required, then you have to ship the bike back to the US. Worth it in the end ??? Money to be saved, but lots of legwork.

I was offered the Yamaha extended warranty by ? Powersport's in central Washington but it wouldn't be recognized in Canada and I would have a long way to take the bike in for any warranty work! Decided not to purchase, and now 6 years later except for recalls done here in Canada no problems at all with the best darn motorcycle made!

Cost wise.... a Canadian FJR ES at MSRP is $18,500... factor in our high taxes and the bike costs approx : a little more than $21,000 CDN. With the exchange rate (as of 2014-12-06) that would be approx. $18,300 US. End of season sale, I picked up my 2014 ES for $16,500 plus taxes. So, the US bike is cheaper by a few thousand dollars. Our dollar sucks right now, making the US market very expensive.

Motorcycles have always been more money in Canada regardless of the exchange rate.

That goes for motorcycle insurance as well.

Canadian dealers are buying used bikes cheaper in the U.S and selling them in Canada at prices comparable with Canadian bikes.

Then they want to sell you an expensive aftermarket warranty because the U.S warranty is no good in Canada.

It appears the last three posters are in the Canadian version of the witness protection program judging by their lack of avatar pictures. The Canadian powers must not like it when anyone reveals the gritty underside of motorcycle ownership in Canada. I ride in Canada a few times every year. Now I'm feeling a bit concerned I may be hijacked by a frustrated Canadian who is desirous of my FJR. Happens every day I imagine.
rolleyes.gif

My understanding is the Canadian models also have speedos that are more inaccurate than US models (Gen III). The US models have shown to read about 1 1/2% high (from the reports I've read). Canadian models are higher (I forget 5%, 10%).

Dan

Just purchased a new 2014 ES. Wanted to buy in the States but warranty issues and the falling Canadian dollar made it not worth the hassle. The American stealers in the Pacific Northwest were more than happy to take my money. Ended up buying it in Canada for $15999. Not to bad on the price considering the CND dollar has dropped almost 15 cents (bank exchange rate) in the last 4 months.

Yes even aftermarket parts and clothing are more expensive here because we have an oligarchy between 3 suppliers (i.e. Parts Canada) who supply all the motorcycle shops. No choice and higher prices. Makes me free to shop with who ever gives me the best price. Got to love the internet!

G.

The Canadian versions seem to be considerably more expensive, even after factoring in the exchange rate.
True of lots of things.

"And you can't buy a cheaper USA model and ride it north of the border and get the Canadian dealers to honor its factory warranty, so I hear. "
Also true. I bought a 2012 FJR in Portland Oregon (I live Stateside for many years) and brought it into Canada when I moved here (bike was cheaper and fewer taxes and duties when I brought it back). No warranty, and endless US/Canadian paperwork.

My understanding is the Canadian models also have speedos that are more inaccurate than US models (Gen III). The US models have shown to read about 1 1/2% high (from the reports I've read). Canadian models are higher (I forget 5%, 10%).
Dan
My odometer shows approx 7 km/h more than what I am really cruising. Hate it......

Dan
My odometer shows approx 7 km/h more than what I am really cruising. Hate it......
At FJR nominal cruise speeds (e.g. 200 kph)..that's only 3.5% error. ;)

Dan
[smartass]

My US odometer only shows miles traveled. I have to look at the speedometer for the speed.

[/smartass]

FWIW - Watching the odometer and my watch and then calculating the speed I get a different (lower) number than what the speedometer says.

So... I just don't do that anymore. ;)

Dan
[smartass]

My US odometer only shows miles traveled. I have to look at the speedometer for the speed.

[/smartass]

FWIW - Watching the odometer and my watch and then calculating the speed I get a different (lower) number than what the speedometer says.

So... I just don't do that anymore.
wink.png
Ok, so you got me on a technicality. I didn't want to use the word speedo because that brings up a really horrendous mental picture of men's minimalist swimwear.
weirdsmiley.gif