FZ1 OEM mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oso

Reaction score
Riding my new to me 2006 FJR for 4 months now I see the need for better rear view mirrors. Searching the topic leads me to the FZ1 mirrors as the best option. For the life of me I can not find a supplier for the actual OEM mirrors or how much they cost. Lots of knock offs out there though. "OEM Style". Well I ordered a pair of these and they came with a cracked mirror. They only cost $26 dollars on Amazon. I will return these but I want to know are the actual OEM mirrors worth it? Where to get them and how much are they?

Also, is there a thread or link to the steps for removing the plastic necessary to mount the FZ1 mirrors? Thanks

Parkshark has them
Right side part# 5LV-26290-00-00 $57.60
Left side part# 5LV-26280-00-00 $57.60

Yes they are totally worth it. I bought mine off ebay, about $75 shipped for the set.

You can also check out the FZ01 fourm, lots of riders switching out for bar end mirrors. You will need to look for Gen 1 FZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. Should the FZ1 OEM part have 1 or 2 threaded posts on the bottom?

Do I need the plate, mirror fitting too? Part 4SV-26298-00-00, or is that part of the FJR assembly too?

I like that SW Motech spacer. It says it moves the mirror 1.56" perpendicular to the mirror base. Did you find that was enough? I find that my elbows take up almost 50% of the rear view with the stock mount.

It looks like you still need to dismantle the fairing for these right?

Has anyone tried the SW Motech mirror spacers and then switched to the FZ1 mirrors? Can anyone confirm if the FZ1 OEM mirrors sit further out then FJR mirrors with SW Motech spacers? Are the FZ1 mirrors at retail price worth the extra money. It looks like about $115 for the FZ1s and $75 for the SW Motech spacers. Thanks

You can't go wrong with the OEM FZ1 mirrors. I'm on my 3rd FJR and have put them on each bike. On the Gen 1 bikes the bolt right up and the base is flush with the fairing. On the Gen 2, I had to grind down the metal spacer to get them to ride flush with the fairing. Some here didn't mind the 1/8" space they leave without grinding them down though. I'm too anal for that.
rolleyes.gif
It was a good excuse to buy the dremel tool I've always wanted. I tried to like the mirrors on this latest bike, but just couldn't stand looking at elbows and knuckles. Also like to see behind me, not just beside me.

GP

Has anyone tried the SW Motech mirror spacers and then switched to the FZ1 mirrors? Can anyone confirm if the FZ1 OEM mirrors sit further out then FJR mirrors with SW Motech spacers? Are the FZ1 mirrors at retail price worth the extra money. It looks like about $115 for the FZ1s and $75 for the SW Motech spacers. Thanks
The SW Motech spacers do not move your mirrors outward 1.56". Because of the angle of the mirror base they move the mirrors up and forward as well as outward. They net you about a 1" movement outward, which is not nearly enough, IMO.

Some measurements that I made on my 3rd gen (which has the same mirrors as your 2nd gen) are below:

On 3rd Gen with the stock mirrors (should be same on 2nd Gens)

Outside edge to to outside edge is 37"

Inside edge to inside edge is only 24"

On any Gen FJR, with FZ1 mirrors mounted:

Outside edge to edge is 44" (3 1/2" wider on each side)

Inside edge to edge is 32" (4" wider on each side because mirror heads are 1/2" smaller)

If you want a clear non-selfie view of what is behind you the OEM FZ1 mirrors are the solution. They fold nicely to get through narrow spaces and in the event you drop the bike. They are a bit wider than the side bags so you know if the mirrors will clear the bags are good to go. If Yama had their act together they would revert to this style mirrors on next years FJR release.

The SW-Motech extenders are a good.idea, but don't work as well as you'd think. I have the FZ1 mirrors on my '07 and love them. I was amazed at the view.

Later, I helped a guy install the extenders. The improved the view, but not as well as the FZ1 mirrors. For the price difference, go with the full mirror.

On any Gen FJR, with FZ1 mirrors mounted:

Outside edge to edge is 44" (3 1/2" wider on each side)

Inside edge to edge is 32" (4" wider on each side because mirror heads are 1/2" smaller)
"Wider than the bags" is critical, especially for lane-sharing/splitting, and any other tight spaces.

The rule I always grew up with was that if the mirrors go through, so does the rest of the bike.

That can lead to a great deal of embarrassment if the mirrors are not wide enough :D

Okay, I think I got it. FZ1 mirrors it is. Maybe Santa will bring them. Thanks all for your helpful comments.

I installed the SWMotech Extenders, and also mounted my LR4's to them....

With the shoddy weather round these parts, yesterday was the first chance I got to give them a test....

As stated earlier - they do the job, better then the factory mount, but not as good as the FZ1's that I was used too...

I'm going to keep the FZ1 mirrors from the 05 and maybe get them onto the 15 if the upcoming brackets for the Gen 3 LR4's come to fruition.... though I do like the looks of the painted factory mirrors...

PJF_5717_zps8ef60dbb.jpg

Latest posts