Project Uncle Dutch - 1960 BMW /2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Now that Project KZ1300 is nearing completion, me n' Ray (FJRAY) are itching to get onto the next project.

How about going from the most complex engine in history to possibly the simplest?

Yep, time to Rawk On!

So here we go.,

Uncle Dutch was my hero as a young man. Unlike my Pops, he drank, smoked, smelled of leather and whiskey, had an impressive arsenal , most importantly, rode motobikes. BSA 441's, DKW's and BMW's. He died young, before 50. My first big ride was in 1974, me on a Honda CB750, and Uncle Dutch and his best friend Tony, with newlywed wife Donna, on BMW's. Uncle Dutch's last ride was on this very bike. On this ride, one night, Uncle Dutch acted strangely, wasn't able to adjust the valves. Strange, since he was great mechanic. It was the first sign of brain cancer that took him down less than 9 months later. I bought the R60 for $1,200 from his wife, Ruth, after he passed, about 5 years later. Years later, I still have the R60 and R69s. Now it's time to make them roadworthy again.

The R60 will be first. It's in better condition. So here we go.

2013-11-01 R60 - She Runs after 19 yearsPermalink Submitted by dcarver on Fri, 11/01/2013 - 19:05.

1960 BMW R60.
Uncle Dutch's bike.

I think I bought it from Aunt Ruth in 1975.

Not run, started, since, 1994?

My shop, it's not much. But I do with what I have.
For example, that air hose is coming from where I have adequate power for the 20 year old air compressor, located at least 300 feet away.

Perhaps a bit over board with SparklyEffect...

As you can see, the final drive rear seal is shot. So are the brake shoes then.
Who cares, will the old girl start, after all this time?

The petcock is shot, it's the OEM one with cork as the seal.. and it needs to stay wet to retain intact.
This one has been dry for, about 30 years, so an alternate source of fuel is needed.

Such a sweet old motobike. I love the cockpit.
Want to make this bike a 'runner' and do a SS1K with Hal Risser on his FJR.
Just because Hal promised to run the well light FJR ahead of me at nightfall. And he promised.

15 years ago, put in new Castrol 10-30 oil.
This is what it looks like. Good enough to start, UnkDutch has been stored inside since last change.

The 'Key'. Yes, it fit all /2's.
Things were different in the 1960's.

R60Runs from dcarver220b on Vimeo.

Copied from my website

Awesome, Carver.

Lose the fairing and the other add ons and return this to a fun original state, then decide what to add or take away.

And don't forget to grease the wheel bearings. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool project. Looking forward to following the rebuild.
Love that smuggler/trunk.
+1, Gunny; if you return this bike to show quality, that fairing and smuggler/trunk will earn you extra points for show grading!

Postscript to FJRay, when Donnie Boy runs out of money on this project: Bro', you have my phone number and email addy!

https://www.bluemooncycle.com/bmw-ebr-mvagusta-ural-motorcycles--virtual-restoration John Landstrom of Blue Moon Cycles GA has this incredibly detailed R60/2 slideshow.

Very cool project. Looking forward to following the rebuild.
Love that smuggler/trunk.
+1, Gunny; if you return this bike to show quality, that fairing and smuggler/trunk will earn you extra points for show grading!

Postscript to FJRay, when Donnie Boy runs out of money on this project: Bro', you have my phone number and email addy!

https://www.bluemooncycle.com/bmw-ebr-mvagusta-ural-motorcycles--virtual-restoration John Landstrom of Blue Moon Cycles GA has this incredibly detailed R60/2 slideshow.
Mr. Stanley. If for some reason the /2 doesn't get back to Don It will be very comfortable right here.
tonguesmiley.gif
grin.gif

Cool bike and story DC. BTW the Harley makes a good clothes line for the sheets!
That was downright mean Dougie Bear, however I was also going to zing DonC on using his H-D as 2 wheeled clothes hamper: But, I have the Christmas Spirit!

Yes, Blue Moon has awesome old bikes. Had to apologize to them when I decided on the FJR over the R1200RT. Been in love with the opposing 2-cylinder engine since I saw an R90 as a teenager, but didn't want to spend R1200 money. (and do not regret my decision in any way.)

This one's got .... a speedometer? And nothing else? Loads of room behind that fairing for all manner of blue-toothed devices and a 12-inch screen.

Do the passenger pegs fold up?

You mean you actually want it to run. I thought it was going to be a coffee table.
smile.png

Do I have to take the KZ apart and put pistons in it???
uhoh.gif

You mean you actually want it to run. I thought it was going to be a coffee table.
smile.png
uhoh.gif
Yes, that would be helpful, Ray!

..and to help you, I already started tearing apart the R60 for you.
haha.gif

haha.gif
Does this mean Ray will get a BMW carcass along with a couple bushel baskets of parts to put back together? Sort of like putting the toothpaste back into the tube.

haha.gif
Does this mean Ray will get a BMW carcass along with a couple bushel baskets of parts to put back together? Sort of like putting the toothpaste back into the tube.
EXACTLY! Ray likes a challenge, so he requested I tear it all apart, take no pix or notes.

And, if you need Ray to work on your bike, he requests you bring it in really dirty, muddy, and ugly. He enjoys finding the inner beauty of the motobike by giving it an erotic bath.
flirt.gif
angel.gif

smile.png
uhoh.gif

..and to help you, I already started tearing apart BREAKING the R60 for you.
haha.gif
Fixed!

Wow, take a look at this Dedicated Follower of Fashion:

fashion_zps2ac5e5a9.jpg

Nice socks, DonnieBoy!
biggrin.png

smile.png
uhoh.gif

..and to help you, I already started tearing apart BREAKING the R60 for you.
haha.gif
Fixed!

Wow, take a look at this Dedicated Follower of Fashion:

fashion_zps2ac5e5a9.jpg

Nice socks, DonnieBoy!
biggrin.png
..and to think I shaved my legs just for you, 'Owie! :rofl: