Lake Huron SS1K June 27, 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pista, some tips.

Getting gas in North Bay is a pain in the ass. Their is only one gas station directly off the highway (their are none ON the hwy!) At the intersection of Hwy 17 and Hwy 11, go North on Hwy 11 for approximately 500 feet, you'll see the McEwan station on your left. The same applies for gas in Sudbury. Fill up just coming into town. Their are no gas stations until Espanola (50 miles away) on the 'far side'. You should stop at the Esso in Wanup, about 10 miles before Sudbury.

Failure to use those two tips will cost you at least 45 minutes total!

Do NOT speed coming into or out of Sudbury or Blind River.

Enjoy the ride!

Steve has some good suggestions but reading in to the Mandatory stops it looks like you have to stop in North Bay for gas(believe it or not at McEwans) and Tim Hortons, 17/6 hwy near Espanola any way. I not really struck on the route to skip Toronto and Barrie but it is doable. You are missing a part of London Ontario but it would be nicer to miss it all. The closest gas station before you turn left on to Richmond street is on the right hand corner. As it it can be a busy corner to try to pull out and go left, I would check to see if they would let you pick the gas station a couple block before there.

The approx. route only puts you over by 11 miles not a lot in my humble opinon.

A nexus pass will help you crossing in Sarnia.

If you have any other questions or help PM me and I'll see if I can answer them.

Have fun with it. Keep in mind, pay at the pump doesn't work in Canada, so plan on that when considering when you'll be passing through our neighbor to the north.

Beyond that and what's been said, sit back, relax, and eat those miles!

Pista, some tips.
Getting gas in North Bay is a pain in the ass. Their is only one gas station directly off the highway (their are none ON the hwy!) At the intersection of Hwy 17 and Hwy 11, go North on Hwy 11 for approximately 500 feet, you'll see the McEwan station on your left. The same applies for gas in Sudbury. Fill up just coming into town. Their are no gas stations until Espanola (50 miles away) on the 'far side'. You should stop at the Esso in Wanup, about 10 miles before Sudbury.

Failure to use those two tips will cost you at least 45 minutes total!

Do NOT speed coming into or out of Sudbury or Blind River.

Enjoy the ride!
Hey Bungie, thanks for the tip on fueling at the McEwan in North Bay as that is a mandatory stop. I will certainly note that in my planning info.

Since this is an IBA preapproved ride, it looks like we will shoot past fueling in Sudbury because there is a mandatory stop at the ESSO by Hwy 17 and Hwy 6 near Espanola.

Steve has some good suggestions but reading in to the Mandatory stops it looks like you have to stop in North Bay for gas(believe it or not at McEwans) and Tim Hortons, 17/6 hwy near Espanola any way. I not really struck on the route to skip Toronto and Barrie but it is doable. You are missing a part of London Ontario but it would be nicer to miss it all. The closest gas station before you turn left on to Richmond street is on the right hand corner. As it it can be a busy corner to try to pull out and go left, I would check to see if they would let you pick the gas station a couple block before there.The approx. route only puts you over by 11 miles not a lot in my humble opinon.

If you have any other questions or help PM me and I'll see if I can answer them.
I believe they tried routing us past some of the busier, more populated areas. So no Toronto.

It also appears that the dogleg into Sunnidale Corners is perhaps a "mileage" thing to ensure the route is over 1000 miles.

And I agree the 1011 miles seems pretty dicey for certification purposes. If I were going it alone I certainly would allow a little more cushion mileage wise.

But this is a "pre-approved ride" and they provide the routing and mandatory stop information.

So the plan now is finish in less than 24 hours, provide the seven required receipts, and wait for my # in the mail!

Steve has some good suggestions but reading in to the Mandatory stops it looks like you have to stop in North Bay for gas(believe it or not at McEwans) and Tim Hortons, 17/6 hwy near Espanola any way. I not really struck on the route to skip Toronto and Barrie but it is doable. You are missing a part of London Ontario but it would be nicer to miss it all. The closest gas station before you turn left on to Richmond street is on the right hand corner. As it it can be a busy corner to try to pull out and go left, I would check to see if they would let you pick the gas station a couple block before there.The approx. route only puts you over by 11 miles not a lot in my humble opinon.

I believe they tried routing us past some of the busier, more populated areas. So no Toronto.

It also appears that the dogleg into Sunnidale Corners is perhaps a "mileage" thing to ensure the route is over 1000 miles.

And I agree the 1011 miles seems pretty dicey for certification purposes. If I were going it alone I certainly would allow a little more cushion mileage wise.

But this is a "pre-approved ride" and they provide the routing and mandatory stop information.

So the plan now is finish in less than 24 hours, provide the seven required receipts, and wait for my # in the mail!
Yup, I didn't want the hassle of the Toronto area to cause any problem for the Riders, and yes we needed to go to North Bay to insure at least 1K miles are covered. No problem that the ride is only 11 miles over 1K miles. With the mandatory receipts required, we will cover over 1K miles - trust me. I entered all the mandatory stops into S&T and then selected "shortest route" and we are looking good ( after I added the Mandatory stop south of Flint ).

BTW, a receipt at any gas station ( close to the mandatory locations ) is fine, as long as the correct town is printed on the receipt. Doesn't need to be at the exact locations I have noted. Thanks Bungie for the McEwan suggestion in North Bay. I'll let the Riders know about that before we leave Imlay City.

Jim V. ( ride organizer )