Bosch 3323 oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glas1/2ful

Reaction score
Have probably used 25 of these filters on the FJR w/o issue. I bought two yesterday for an immediate and future oil change and noticed the box had changed.

Changed the oil like always and this morning found fresh oil on the garage floor. Cleaned (again) around the drain plug and the filter, and ran the bike - leak from the filter. I noticed when I installed the filter that I didn't feel the usual "tightening" as the seal met the engine.

Thought maybe a bad seal (didn't inspect the new filter closely but didn't notice anything when I put a very light coating of grease on the seal). So I looked at the other new one and compared it closely to the used one I had just removed - other than a red seal or something inside the old one compared to a black seal or something inside the new one and a paper instead of the printed label, they look identical.

So just I just quickly pulled the first new one and replaced it with the second - same lack of "tightening" sensation and still leaking.

So before I run up and buy an alternative from the list below, thought I might see if

1) anyone else has used the "new" 3323 and had a problem

2) whether this list is correct

• AC Delco PF-2057
  • Bosch 3323 (known to work okay)
  • Carquest 85356 — reportedly will not seal!
  • Castrol 7317
  • Deutsch D-370
  • FRAM PH7317 (fits OK but 40% more restrictive than the OEM filter!)
  • K&N KN-148
  • Mobil 1 M1-110 (known to work okay)
  • Motorcraft Long Life FL-821 — reportedly will not seal!
  • NAPA Gold 1356 — reportedly will not seal!
  • Penske 7317
  • Purolator L14610 — (known to work okay, see photo above)
  • Pure ONE PL14610 — (see photo above)
  • Pure ONE PL14620 — reportedly will not seal!
  • STP S-02867
  • WIX 51356 — reportedly will not seal!

thanks in advance

I have used the Bosch 3323 in the past with no problem. I have a new one ready to go on, but have not installed it so I don't know if it's any good. I switched from Purolator to Bosch simply because they were more convenient to get. I used a lot of Purolators without any issues.

If I had two leakers, I'd switch brands and never look back.

Used the Purolator PL14610?, the longer one for years on an 06 and several other bikes with no problems. Have 3323 on now, no problems. The only filter I ever had problems with was a K&N. Bought several a long time ago which had bad threads. Having four qts of Amzoil on the flour because they did not seat right is not fun. Probably OK now.

First - thanks for the replies

admins - this wasn't supposed to be about should one use a Bosch 3323 filter - I have been using them on the FJR for > 100,000 miles w/o a single problem. My attempt here was to maybe point to a change for others that are using this filter,

How has the box changed ?
I don't have an old box, but a google image search for "Bosch 3323 oil filter" turns up both versions - the old box was black and the new box is gray, and the gray one includes translations in what appear to be french and Spanish ("filtre a huile" and "filtro de aceite") - don't recall that on the old boxes.

anyway - dug into the college fund and spent a whopping 3.67 for a Purolator PL 14610; and I really splurged and sprayed it black. It screwed on with the more typical feel of getting tighter as the seal engaged instead of pretty much coming to a dead stop as the 2 Bosch did earlier, so maybe I managed to get some with particularly dried out seals. The seals don't feel much different than the old one I took off. Anyway, no leak.

admins - this wasn't supposed to be about should one use a Bosch 3323 filter - I have been using them on the FJR for > 100,000 miles w/o a single problem. My attempt here was to maybe point to a change for others that are using this filter,
If you'd stuck to that one topic it wouldn't have been NEPRT. But you had a second question about the list of filters...which is NEPRT and the vast majority of responses.

The Bosch filter I have been using is the 3323 Distance Plus. The can is dark blue and the box it comes in is plastic. The gasket is red.

The filters from O'Reilly Auto parts used to be made by Purolator. Couldn't tell the difference. They're now made in China, and the difference in quality is obvious.

Maybe those Bosch filters came from a bad batch. It happens

• WIX 51356 — reportedly will not seal!

WIX 51358 works nicely on mine. And it's already black.
wink.png

My current oil change has the "new box" Bosch 3323 filter. It installed and tightened normally to me, and with about 2,000 miles running, no leak so far.

Subscribed to this thread....

If you'd stuck to that one topic it wouldn't have been NEPRT. But you had a second question about the list of filters...which is NEPRT and the vast majority of responses.
It’s this reasoning that makes this forum less useful for newbies like me. We are encourage to reference past discussions for specifics of the FJR. Yet, many of the discussions on the FJRForum are becoming dated and need updating. This oil filter discussion is perfect example because most of the information I could find here is 5 years old or older. A lot can change in 5 years. I no longer come to this forum first to seek current information about my FJR, but when I do, I have learned start at the NEPRT threads to find the latest information on FJRs. Does that seem right?

Beary

Is it possible that the gasket from the original filter stuck on the bike and the new filter is turning against that, effectively giving you a double gasket? That would explain the different feel when you try to tighten the new filter, and it would explain the leak. I have seen that happen on cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible that the gasket from the original filter stuck on the bike and the new filter is turning against that, effectively giving you a double gasket? That would explain the different feel when you try to tighten the new filter, and it would explain the leak. I have seen that happen on cars.
+1
And another. I've had that happen on a Dodge pickup, and it can be most puzzling.
uhoh.gif