FZ1 Mirrors DO fit 2006+ FJR's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I had a tip over and dinged up my left mirror. I think the tip over was altitude induced. It happened at 13500 feet. Anyway, Skyway was asking about bolt length on the 2006+ models, so I removed my covers and checked it out for him. While I had the mirror off, I decided to see if the FZ1 mirrors I had in "back stock" would fit. Sure enough, they fit beautifully.

The mirrors end up being about 3' 7" wide. Looking from the rear, they look SUBSTANTIALLY wider. In fact they measure to be about 7 inches wider than the side cases. If you can get the FZ1 mirrors between an obstruction, the entire bike will fit easily (note for you lucky lane splitters!).

The stock 2006+ models have wider, higher mirrors than the first gen FJRs. Many 2005- owners changed out to FZ1 mirrors so they could actually see behind, not just look at their elbows.

Now you may not want to remove your pretty painted 2006+ mirrors. But if you want a wider/better rear view, you CAN change the mirrors out to the bodacious FZ1 mirrors. Takes about 15 minutes to change them.. 2 bolts, 10mm. Have to remove the A-D panels to get to them. Best to go ahead and remove the plastic spacer and store them with your stock mirrors.

I bought my pair through University Motors. Probably about $80 shipped these days. I bought mine 2 years ago, so I'm not really sure about the price.

BTW, you may not want AFTERMARKET FZ1 MIRRORS. Get genuine YAMAHA mirrors. The cheaper ones (lots on eBay) reportedly (but not always) vibrate so much that you can't see shit. And when they break away (fold back), the after market mirrors might actually break.. away.

Here's a crappy pic of my sweet bike in my crappy garage:

FZ1Mirrors2006FJR1300AE.JPG

Here's a link to the size difference in comparison on a 1st gen FJR:

FZ1 Mirror Comparison

Here's the OEM part numbers:

5LV-26280-00-00 left

5LV-26290-00-00 right

NOTE: I have the Heli Triple Clamp, so my bars are not in the stock position. In the picture above that is the stock shield in the full down position, so you can get an idea of where the mirrors sit. There were many posts way back when, with a couple of super imposed pics of the OEM and FZ1 mirrors. That was before at least one system hack, and I don't know if those pics of the difference in the mirrors on the first gen bikes can even be found. Would be nice if someone resurrected that comparison pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this will be good news for many 06 and newer owners. I have the aftermarket carbon fiber FZ1 mirrors on my 05, and don't experience a bit of shaking, even at triple digit speeds. Wouldn't ride without them, they've been on my bike for over 2 years.

John

So, would an 06/07 with pre-06 STOCK mirrors be a good combination? It would be a different style and not as wide as the FZ-1 mirrors. Just a thought for all those spare stock mirrors lying around!

The mirrors end up being about 3' 7" wide. Looking from the rear, they look SUBSTANTIALLY wider. In fact they measure to be about 7 inches wider than the side cases.

Are they higher than the stockers, as well?

The mirrors end up being about 3' 7" wide. Looking from the rear, they look SUBSTANTIALLY wider. In fact they measure to be about 7 inches wider than the side cases.

Are they higher than the stockers, as well?
Yes, they appear to be about an inch higher.

The face of the FZ1 mirror is slightly smaller than the 2006+. Not enough to worry about, and the area that the FZ1 mirror is lacking is at the inside bottom corner. IOW, the FZ1 mirrors have about as much viewing surface as the stock mirrors, and it actually has more viewing area where it counts, outside and up.

[SIZE=10pt]Vstar2FJR[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]Posted Today, 12:22 AM[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]I think this will be good news for many 06 and newer owners. I have the aftermarket carbon fiber FZ1 mirrors on my 05, and don't experience a bit of shaking, even at triple digit speeds. Wouldn't ride without them, they've been on my bike for over 2 years.[/SIZE]
John
That's good news. Congrats on your luck. I've never had an after market pair of mirrors and my vibration comment was gleaned from other comments on FJR and other boards. I've just read many times to stay away from anything but Yammy mirrors.

TOYO makes the Yamaha stock mirrors. Wonder if they sell aftermarket mirrors under a different part number that are actually the same mirror? Doesn't matter much really, since you can get the mirrors from University Motors for about the same money.

So now you have me wondering what would the 06-07 AE mirrors look like on my '04?

So now you have me wondering what would the 06-07 AE mirrors look like on my '04?
I'm guessing you'll be on the phone with TurboDave in the near future? :D

BTW, you may not want AFTERMARKET FZ1 MIRRORS. Get genuine YAMAHA mirrors. The cheaper ones (lots on eBay) reportedly (but not always) vibrate so much that you can't see shit. And when they break away (fold back), the after market mirrors might actually break.. away.
The issue I had with the C/F-look mirrors was the same problem Toecutter had. The rivet at the main pivot joint was loose and allowed the mirror to move vertically. I peeled the rubber boot back and removed the rivet and replaced it with a bolt and nylock nut (per Toecutter's "repair thread").

nice write up rocket

... now you have me looking to switch out the stockers on my 06 - I sit tall in the saddle and they really don't do a very good job for me.

I want to put the FZ1 mirrors on my 06 but the new FZ1 mirrors (07) do not look like the will match up. What year(s) mirrors did you use for yours?

I'm hoping Skyway's solteck mounts will bring the stock "06 miirors out an inch? It would make all the difference for me.

Say yes Ian!

I also have had good luck with an aftermarket mirror. Could be because it has sat on a shelf since I bought it.

Rear_View_Mirror_for_Wrangler-31000_32000.jpg

Have tried every which way I can think of, but I can't seem to find a good spot for it. Parts guy said "yeah, sure, it's an FZ1 mirror", so I know I gots the right one. Can anyone help?

Rear_View_Mirror_for_Wrangler-31000_32000.jpg

Have tried every which way I can think of, but I can't seem to find a good spot for it. Parts guy said "yeah, sure, it's an FZ1 mirror", so I know I gots the right one. Can anyone help?
Yewer s'posed tuh git sum EE-poxy en glue that dang ol' sucker ontuh the up-en-down Ay-justible windsheeld. I heered thet if'n yuh glue et jist to the side of center then yew kin see pass yer show-der en aroun' yer haid. Et's s'posed tuh be thuh "cat's meow" but ah hope et ain't, cuz my cat's meow is a gawd-awffle thang tuh heer. Sumwun sed yew kuhd take pitchers uh the peeple ahind yuh en thuh meer, tew.

I changed out the stock mirrors on my '07 with the '05 FZ1 mirrors this evening. Tremendous improvement in rear visibility! One concern: the stock mirror mount bushings are apparently too long leaving approximately 1/16" gap between the cowling and the FZ1 mirror rubber boot/base. I'm concerned that there could be some stability issues leading to excess vibration at speed as the only contact is between the mount bushings and the small, raised circular area at the base of the mirror bolts. (I'm making an assumption that the rubber boot on the mirror base should be flush/well-seated against the cowling..?) Shorter mount bushings (I believe) would be ideal.

Can anyone that's put the FZ1 mirrors on a Gen II bike offer any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Welll....I don't have a Gen II FJR, but the bushings are removable. IIRC, they have to be removed to use Skyway's Soltek Light Brackets, so you might check on those threads for a "how to" article. I think Kaitsdad did a write-up about it and IIRC, Highlander also came up with an easier way.

Welll....I don't have a Gen II FJR, but the bushings are removable. IIRC, they have to be removed to use Skyway's Soltek Light Brackets, so you might check on those threads for a "how to" article. I think Kaitsdad did a write-up about it and IIRC, Highlander also came up with an easier way.
Thanks, Mike! I was just reading that article. While I've no plans to install the Solteks, the shorter bushings that Skyway supplies with the bracket kit may be exactly what's needed. I'm going to PM Skyway and see if he'll let me buy 4 replacement bushings from him.

I changed out the stock mirrors on my '07 with the '05 FZ1 mirrors this evening. Tremendous improvement in rear visibility! One concern: the stock mirror mount bushings are apparently too long leaving approximately 1/16" gap between the cowling and the FZ1 mirror rubber boot/base. I'm concerned that there could be some stability issues leading to excess vibration at speed as the only contact is between the mount bushings and the small, raised circular area at the base of the mirror bolts. (I'm making an assumption that the rubber boot on the mirror base should be flush/well-seated against the cowling..?) Shorter mount bushings (I believe) would be ideal.
Can anyone that's put the FZ1 mirrors on a Gen II bike offer any suggestions? Thanks! :)
I put my FZ1 mirrors on about 10K miles ago. I haven't noticed any problems with stability or issues at any speed. I have a very slight gap under the gasket as well on my AE and it's not been an issue. If I was really concerned about leakage or wear under there, I might just get some black RTV and seal it up. But I'm not going to bother.