Soft Keys?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnKing2

Reaction score
Dammit, Yamaha! Stop making your keys out of such cheap metal. I've bent the hell out of the *second* 2014 FJR key - first one bent in the saddlebag locks, second one in the ignition. That's in less than two months. I had to use the super special RED KEY to start the bike today. Lucky for me, the second one bent in the driveway and not while I was away from home.

How many car keys have you ever bent into unusability? I've never bent a single car key in 30+ years of driving. Yet, I’ve bent *8* Yamaha keys and broken 4 saddlebag locks since my first FJR in 2008.

I wish I could say it's because I'm a big strong manly man but I know it’s the cheap metal they use because I’m bending these with my *bad* wrist…I can't even pick up a pint of beer with my right hand because of it. Yet, I can "Uri Geller" the hell out of a Yamaha motorcycle key.

I don't want to have to carry around a spare key but it looks like I'm going to have to if these things keep bending like warm salt water toffee.

And to make matters worse, the Canadian 2014 FJR keys are "chipped". You must buy blanks from Yamaha so I can't go to a locksmith and just get generic (and stronger!) keys made. Just ordered two key blanks. There's $85 blown.

SO FRUSTRATING....

It's your magnetic personality
grin.gif

The keys are certainly soft.

Mine have threatened to bend turning stiff bag locks, one reason I posted up "A cure for stiff bag locks". I also have learnt to remove the key from the bag lock when loading/unloading, catching the key with "stuff" can easily bend it.

Another cause of bending is because, when not in use, I keep mine on a key ring with a bunch of others in my pocket, this can get partially sat on.

(Click on image for larger view)

The other effect of sitting on the keys is to randomly lock/unlock the wife's car in the garage, annoys the sh*t out of her
mda.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Still using the first original key on the '07 with 126,000 miles. Keeping the "backup" for emergencies. Push down on the latch before turning the saddlebag locks. Make sure the ignition lock is properly lubricated. I have had trouble turning the ignition lock when it gets grungy. Needs a lube once or twice a year. Maybe the Canadian chipped keys are made with alloy that is exceptionally soft? (I'm in Canada but it is a US bike) I don't keep the key on a ring with other keys and usually keep it in a front jeans pocket so there is little chance in bending it. Bent a bit a couple of times when lock was dirty but was able to "tweak" it back with gentle persuasion with pliers.

Back in '03 when we first discovered that the keys were soft and started the beginnings of 102 posts about it we found a work-around. At night, place the key on a flat surface with the bend curve side up, by morning the key will be flat again.
wink.png

On the other hand, the soft key will wear but the more expensive and nuisance to replace key tumbler won't.

Ace Hardware, blank is an ilco YM63. They don't bend.
Shawn is lucky enough to own a Canadian FJR with Yamaha's immobilizer key system, your run of the mill hardware store key won't do the job.

I leave my key in the bike overnight. this way is gets a good rest and is ready to go in the AM. He, He,

Chill out on the coffee my freind,

Dave

Must be the "paint" on those Canadian keys.

actually try some liquid graphite on the key.

Either that or some of the lube that others on here have talked about for their rendezvous with sheep. That is likely more readily available up there in the North Woods.

That was sarcasm in case you are angry and want to break your soft key in me.
tonguesmiley.gif

Dumb question here, but is the Kanuckistan key a proximity key or must it be in electrical contact with the ignition? You could get the Ace hardware key and epoxy the "chip" to it from your broken one if it just has to be in the neighborhood.

Dumb question here, but is the Kanuckistan key a proximity key or must it be in electrical contact with the ignition? You could get the Ace hardware key and epoxy the "chip" to it from your broken one if it just has to be in the neighborhood.
Dollar to a donut says it is a proximity set-up and if you attach the chip off a bent key permanently near the ignition then a non-chipped key may work.

Ace Hardware, blank is an ilco YM63. They don't bend.
Thanks, I'm on the American side and appreciate this suggestion.
Beary
I just went to a local locksmith and had two made; I think it cost me about $5. They're flat, which is nice. I keep one in my billfold, which stays on my body.

Dollar to a donut says it is a proximity set-up and if you attach the chip off a bent key permanently near the ignition then a non-chipped key may work.
Definitely proximity, you can read all the Awful Warnings in the appropriate handbook ...

(click on image for larger view)

The keys are definitely soft, but will work a long time if used carefully. The saddle bags seem to be the biggest offender for bending keys and the "key" to not bending a key there is to push the latch down before turning the key and never use the key itself to push the latch over.

Canadian keys may be chipped for the ignition, but a chipped key is not required for the saddlebag locks so I'd suggest making up some of those cheap standard keys for use in the saddle bags. I have a spare bike key attached to a mailbox key in both my most used riding jackets and this enables me to stop at the high security "anti crack head" locking mailbox and get my mail without having to kill the bike. One of my original keys is still being used at least 4 days a week in that capacity and still works fine after 7 years. I will disclose that I've had to tweak it a couple times with pliers because they tend to get a slight twist over time or bent sideways.