One Idiot, One FJR and Hancock Pass, CO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twigg

Just an old, bald man!
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but now I have video (not me) showing the exact route I took this summer, well before people told me that an FJR couldn't (or maybe shouldn't) do that.

Once I reached the point this video ends I could go no further. The road down the other side, that I needed to reach a bonus location, was closed. They only open it in August to protect the mountain, presumably from people on FJR1300s, ripping it up.

The bike was new to me. This was the first long ride. It was heavily loaded and wearing PR3 tires. My main concern was a puncture, but really I was so busy keeping the bike upright and moving forwards that I didn't have much time to worry about anything. I did get quite a lot of interested looks from the drivers of Quad-bikes :)

We made it, unscathed. Took about an hour out of my schedule but the fun (pucker) factor makes the memory worth it.

Seriously guys, enjoy the video but don't try this at home

Coolio Stuff there! I guess I need some of them PR3's so I can off road with the Twigg!

This reminds me of NAFO in Golden, Co - when Andrew (OrangevaleFJR) offered a route up to a feller who then rode across a 4-wd jeep trail, pretty much trashing the fjr.

Glad to hear you faired better, Mr. Twigg!

I don't want to do it again .. but the memories are precious

To tell the truth, it scared me more than I admitted at the time ... but "fun" things tend to have that effect.

squirrel-balls-nuts.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Typical for something from California.....

Over in AZ, somewhere around Chandler I believe

the tree rats are much more masculine.....

a_squirrel-huge-nuts1250297113.jpg

I feel really sorry for your bike.

Last summer I was cruising with my friends in Northen Poland and came to an old cobblestone road, which lasted for many km-s, far too many. My hart was bleeding for my bike, although it handled it well. What a rattle!

I feel really sorry for your bike.
Last summer I was cruising with my friends in Northen Poland and came to an old cobblestone road, which lasted for many km-s, far too many. My hart was bleeding for my bike, although it handled it well. What a rattle!
The bike can handle it just fine. Low ground clearance could hurt if you pick the wrong path, but the bike is tougher than the rider :)

Wow - tough way to get to the scenic view. I've often thought about a dual sport and how I might venture more off the beaten path.

I must be missing something. That road is only about 10% worse than the road to my mom's house. Big rocks hard packed into the road? On any type of dirt/enduro/adventure bike, that's a 50+ MPH road. Hell, on the FJR, just pick a line and go.

Unless the camera is totally messing with the actual conditions, I could see my friends and I racing up that thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
See ... HRZ has the right attitude.

That road is rated for 4X4 and Dirt bikes only.

I must be missing something. That road is only about 10% worse than the road to my mom's house. Big rocks hard packed into the road? On any type of dirt/enduro/adventure bike, that's a 50+ MPH road. Hell, on the FJR, just pick a line and go.
Unless the camera is totally messing with the actual conditions, I could see my friends and I racing up that thing.
You must be "sucking on a testosterone cigar"...Look at 7:00 in +/-.

Not sayin' it couldn't be done...but doin that to a $10k bike doesn't seem to make sense.

Not sayin' it couldn't be done...but doin that to a $10k bike doesn't seem to make sense.
Fortunately, my bike didn't cost $10k .... Not even 1/3rd of that, so I'm good to go
biggrin.png

However, it shouldn't be done on an FJR, and I don't recommend it. I made a poor decision which gave me some bragging rights, but could have given me broken limbs.

Fortunately, my bike didn't cost $10k .... Not even 1/3rd of that, so I'm good to go
biggrin.png
Twigg, sorry...my comment wasn't aimed at you. I know you were in a rally and doing what you felt would work. I've gone down some "interesting" roads before.

My comment was just aimed at the jackass from Albuqueerque who wants to race down those roads at 50mph on his FJR. Wadda Maroon.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png
Twigg, sorry...my comment wasn't aimed at you. I know you were in a rally and doing what you felt would work. I've gone down some "interesting" roads before.

My comment was just aimed at the giant jackass from Albuqueerque who wants to race down those roads at 50mph on his FJR. Wadda Maroon.

biggrin.png
Fixed!

Heh ... I got it :)

I made a mistake when I planned that Rally. Usually I do lots of "due diligence" on the suggested roads my planning software comes up with, and I did that this time. I simply missed this particular stretch.

The pass suggested about 40 minutes between the two locations, and the alternate route was roughly 80 miles ... and I didn't check.

Once on the pass I kept thinking "you got this wrong, turn around", but turning around wasn't easy and we were making it. When I reached the top there was no point turning round, and I was still ahead of the game, but then I saw the sign saying the way down was only open in August!!!

So I had to ride down the way I came and STILL ride the 80 miles round the mountain by road.

These are "learning situations", yet the whole experience turned out okay, so I came away happy.

On that rally I rode 31 hours straight, breaking only for gas, photos and food. I lost time due to a dangerous lightning storm down on the New Mexico border, the pass and I have 90 minutes to spare at the end with no bonuses to grab. Combined they dropped my finishing position from about 3rd to 8th ... Still a very respectable result and I had massive fun.

Poor Wheatie. Your reading comprehension is suffering sonce moving to SC. I said 50+ on dirt/enduro/adventure bike. The FJR is none of those.

However, I don't see Twiggs concern about breaking bones. Hell, RFH broke bones and he's like a folk hero now. Haha...

Poor Wheatie. Your reading comprehension is suffering since moving to SC. I said 50+ on dirt/enduro/adventure bike. The FJR is none of those.

However, I don't see Twigg's concern about breaking bones. Hell, RFH broke bones and he's like a folk hero now. Haha...