Ride to Puerto Vallarta con Papa Chuy Viejo; March of 2016.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score

Over the weekend Brian, Enrique and I discussed the Chiapas Ride in September, both BB and Henry said they can't do it due to a "work thing"; no Comprende ese!

Much as I'd LOVE to take Donna to see Zacatecas at 8K feet, San Miguel de Allende at 7K feet and Guadalajara at 5.5K feet: Her lungs just can't take the elevation.

So I've laid out a route for Donna and I that hugs the coast with our Southernmost stop being Puerto Vallarta, with an alternate for you folks to visit the other Cities.

Day 1: Phoenix to Hermosillo - 425 miles.

Day 2: Hermosillo to Los Mochis - 350 miles.

Day 3: Los Mochis to Mazatlan - 300 miles.

Day 4: Donna and Don ride to Puerto Vallarta at 300 miles, tus Vatos Locos ride to Zacatecas - 400 miles.

Day 5: D & D en PV; Los Gringos ride to San Miguel de Allende - 300 miles.

Day 6: D & D en PV; second night for AZ Beemers in San Miguel de Allende.

Day 7: D & D en PV; San Miguel de Allende to Guadalajara - 275 miles.

Day 8: You meet Don and Donna in PV after riding 275 miles from GDL.

Day 9: We all ride from PV to Mazatlan - 300 miles.

Day 10: Mazatlan to San Carlos - 475 miles. https://www.sancarlosplaza.com.mx/english/

Day 11: San Carlos to Phoenix - 475 miles.

Donna and I'll be staying at https://www.sheratonvallarta.com where we AZ Beemers stayed before. https://www.lasiesta.com.mx/english/ Our MAZ favorite: La Siesta!

The 11 days that Donna and I can do this ride are in Springtime between Saturday 3/5 and Monday 3/21/16. Whatever 11 days work the best for all!

Saludos y recuerdos,

Don Stanley
Chandler, AZ 85225

========================================================================
Ride to Guatemala con Papa Chuy Viejo; Septiembre 23-27, 2015. Guatemala is 100 kilometers from San Cristobal de las Casas en Chiapas Estado, ese!

https://www.difusionvirtual.com/bmw/

Chiapas is a GO, September 23-27 of 2015! Viva Mexico y viva BMW Motocicletas, Arriba! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, ese! Here is the video, "Oh Mexico, so damn groovy I just want to go! I just got to go. The sun's so hot I forgot to go home, guess I'll have to go now." Gracias para James Taylor!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.facebook.com/BmwMotoclubChihuahua Chiapas ha sido seleccionado nuevamente como el estado sede para la XIX Convención Internacional de usuarios de motocicletas BMW en el 2015. Con más de 600 participantes de toda la república mexicana y países vecinos como Estados Unidos, Guatemala y El Salvador, la convención estará enmarcada por la tradición y la hermosa naturaleza que brinda este gran Estado de Chiapas. MOTOCLUB BMW CHIAPAS

Chiapas is incredibly beautiful, absolutely unbelievable! If only our HotRodZilla - AJ could get over his fear of Mexicans! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Arriba!

To BMW MOA Mexico Ambassador Tenorio: Hola Ruben, We AZ Beemers understand the 2015 BMW Mexico Moto Clubs Rally will be held in Chiapas Estado next September. BMW MOA Club #89 loves riding to your BMW Events, I have enclosed a photo of us in Mascota on the Guadalajara-Puerto Vallarta Run.

L to R: Don Stanley, Noel Campbell, Jordan Meschkow, Brian Boles, Melanie Boles, Enrique Garza and Matt Kas. AZ Beemer Members Elaine and Pat Rourke are also regular BMW Mexico Moto Clubs Rally attendees, I've also included their photograph. We are starting a thread at https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=4954.msg40673#msg40673 under Upcoming Rides.

Saludos,

Don Stanley
Chandler, AZ 85225

https://www.facebook.com/BmwMotoclubChihuahua Chiapas ha sido seleccionado nuevamente como el estado sede para la XIX Convención Internacional de usuarios de motocicletas BMW en el 2015. Con más de 600 participantes de toda la república mexicana y países vecinos como Estados Unidos, Guatemala y El Salvador, la convención estará enmarcada por la tradición y la hermosa naturaleza que brinda este gran Estado de Chiapas. MOTOCLUB BMW CHIAPAS

El Salvador?

Don this might be a consideration! FJR? or Dakar? miles per day? Do tell !

Tony you live in Florida, where just like Arizona: Spanish is the first language and English is Numero Dos! They are just describing that this Rally will be co-hosted by the BMW Clubs of El Salvador, Guatemala y Estados Unidos.

For HotRodZilla, Bustanut joker, Patch308, RadioHowie, odot and the other Spanish language challenged among us:

"Chiapas has been selected once again as the State chosen for the XIX Convention of the International Owners/Riders of BMW motorcycles in the Year 2015. With more than 600 neighboring participants of all the Mexican Republic and countries including El Salvador, Guatemala and United States attending this event".

AZ Beemer Zonies will mostly be on BMW K1600's, you're certainly welcome to join us with your BMW Dakar. Between 350-450 miles a day, NO night riding!

IMG_0004_zps997121df.jpg

Don,My wife is from El Salvador and this could be a win/win ride for us.

I will be following the discussions. Thanks for posting here!
Mi Amigo Antonio, de Nada! We'd love it if you could join us, one of our AZB Group is Enrique "Henry" Garza and his Mother was born in Magdalena, Mexico!

On our return ride from Chiapas Estado we will spend two nights in the most fantastically gorgeous Pueblo Historico in all of Mexico: San Miguel de Allende.

Thought you might enjoy this video of Papa Chuy Viejo riding to San Miguel de Allende MEX in January of 2006, produced by Pancho Villa Moto-Tours Guide Rick Lopez. I could easily retire to San Miguel de Allende; I really should do it!

Please Note: Returning on our BMW K1600's to Estados Unidos, we AZ Beemers and Motorcycle Owners of America Forumites will incorporate Riding the Devil's Backbone between Durango and Mazatlan. Espinazo del Diablo:

I did a Google search of the old Espinazo del Diablo road and came up with this shot of a section of the road. Is this for real? I am sooooo glad my name is on your list!
roadtoDurango_zpsecebb763.jpg

Si, KCMO Steve; that's indeed the old road we'll be riding, it is incredibly hairy!

From FJR Forum Member David Foley:

The Devils Backbone - Serious Business Esé!!

1-2-201510-36-22AM_zpsaf092cd1.png

Plenty of lead time to plan this trip - I'm in!

The old road 40 has 3000 curves! Take the new road 40D and you see half a dozen of the worlds highest bridges - including the Baluarte.

1920px-Puente_Baluarte%2C_Mexico1edit.jpg

"Ok Mr., is this a ride I can do on the FJR? I'm going to be in Texas close to the tour date. If it's FJR friendly I might just ride down instead of flying.Rob"

As of now these four AZ Beemers bikes and their Owners are signed up for Guatemala, four BMW K1600's. This ride is all pavement, which means rough Mexican roads that you're already very familiar with. Only oddity for non BMW riders is that usually and normally the BMW Moto Clubs of Mexico only want Beemers at their Events, which means you probably cannot register for the Official BMW Rally itself. I'll look in to this further with the Mexico BMW Ambassador Ruben Tenorio from Oaxaca, but other than missing some Official Banquets and Parties you'd still be with us in Chiapas Estado. Mas Caminos y mas Amigos!

IMG_0004_zps997121df.jpg

Plus, one of the gayest R1200 GS Adventures in the world will be riding to Guatemala with us, owned/ridden by mi Sobrino (nephew) Enrique: Que Lastima, ese!

DSCF1099.jpg

Atencion, Compadres: FJRoberto1300 para Ontario Estado, Canuckistan:

"Originally Posted by BeemerDonS View Post
Rob, as of now six AZ Beemers bikes and their Owners are signed up for Guatemala. This ride is all pavement, which means rough Mexican roads that you're already very familiar with. Only oddity for non BMW riders is that usually and normally the BMW Moto Clubs of Mexico only want Beemers at their Events, which means you probably cannot register for the Official BMW Rally itself. I'll look in to this further with the Mexico BMW Ambassador Ruben Tenorio from Oaxaca, but other than missing some Official Banquets and Parties you'd still be with us in Chiapas Estado."
================================================================================

Hola Don, since there has been, for the last year at least, a "political" dispute of which BMW Moto Clubs are supported by the international organization and BMW, there are currently two groups, being the majority those who support the conventions and oddly not supported by BMW itself. This past 2014 Convention was named as a "friends convention" rather than a BMW Convention for this very reason. This 2015 Chiapas convention, it seems will be the same, and therefore as it is not an "official" BMW convention, participants with non BMW bikes will be surely most welcomed. It is at the end, a friends reunion. Although I do not anticipate many HD retired joining, surely a few Yamahas, Ducats and KTMs will attend

Guatemala? I don't recall discussing a Guatemala trip?

JerryZ: It is only 150 kilometers to the Border Town of La Democracia, Guatemala. I was going to ride there for breakfast one morning, take some photos and ride back to San Cristobal de las Casas and be back by Noon! I am going to leave my BMW K1600GT on the Mexico side at a PEMEX, just walk across!

Hi Don,
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
We're prepared to kick in with support at any stage.
Will have to watch the weather (can't believe they are staging this thing right in the heart of hurricane and rain season)
As your program gels let us know.
Saludos,
Skip

685 Persimmon Hill
Bulverde, TX 78163
Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564
PH (830) 438-7744
[email protected]
https://www.motodiscovery.com
Click here to receive the Navigator Newsletter!

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Don Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:
BB, regarding the BMW Mexico Moto Clubs Rally: I absolutely can't take three weeks for this adventure, sharing Custody of my Son Seth only allows me two weeks!

https://www.distancesfrom.com San Cristóbal in Chiapas is 3,252 kilometers/2,020 miles from Phoenix, easily ridden in 6 days; only 542 kilometers/336 miles a day.

Here are mi dos Centavos: Leave Arizona on Saturday, September 19; plan on staying in Nogales on Friday night, 9/18; gives us a 200 mile jump on the Mexico Ride.

Plan on crossing back into Estados Unidos on Sunday, October 4; perhaps at the New Mexico crossing that we used with Skip-MD on the CC Run; no traffic at all!

Gives us 5 long days riding down, all straight desert riding through Sonora y Chihuahau; 8 days riding back let's us stay in San Miguel de Allende: Pueblo Historico!

Looking at my map of Mexico and using distancesfrom.com Zacatecas, MEX sure looks like an ideal meet up point for Skip's main group and our AZ Beemer Vatos.

Zacatecas's served by American Airlines, if our Ladies wanted to start their Mexico tour in scenic country; instead of the long desert crossing, dry-hot-dusty-boring!

Depart
3:34 PM
Zacatecas , Mexico
La Calera (ZCL)
Stop 1
5:45 PM
Dallas, TX , United States
Dallas-Fort Worth Airport (DFW) Terminal B
Change of planes. Time between flights: 1hr 30min
Flight 3371 Operated by ENVOY AIR AS AMERICAN EAGLE

American Airlines 3371
Economy
Embraer RJ145
771 mi 2hr 11min
Seat map
Depart
7:15 PM
Dallas, TX , United States
Dallas-Fort Worth Airport (DFW) Terminal 0
Arrive
8:54 PM
Phoenix, AZ , United States
Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) Terminal 4

Saludos y recuerdos,

Don Stanley
Chandler, AZ 85225

From K1600 Owner Marco Rye of Guadalajara, Mexico

In another post I already shared the dates of the 2015 convention which is to be held in the beautiful southern mexican state of Chiapas next September.

These gatherings used to be exclusively for BMW riders, but now it is open to any interested rider, so everyone is welcome. Just make sure to register well before as registration is limited to certain number of attendees.

Anyhow, here is an 11 minute video of what you can expect at this convention. This video shows briefly this last convention at the northern mexican state of Chihuahua.

Enjoy