IBR Bonus Revisited

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Since this is not worthy of a ride report, I thought I would post it here. December 27th I departed out on a multi-tasking ride.

* I first went to Zephyrhills, Fl to visit my mother and 2 of my sisters.

* Then it was on to Houston, TX to pick up 3 windscreens I had my wife's nephew pick up from a forum member. The weather was sweet until crossing the

series of bridges leading from Florida into Alabama. Then the rain began, which was fine until the cold front and I hit head-on in Louisianna. I was not on the

clock, so I stopped by a rest stop on the Mississippi border where I scored a bonus in the '13 IBR (Barely) I had trouble photographing it in the rally, and once again

I had trouble getting the pic.

PC270005_zpseaaaa116.jpg

PC270006_zps4b3faf73.jpg

PC270010_zpsf66dfd12.jpg

The sunset was one of the few highlights of the ride:

PC280011_zps8cabb0cf.jpg

I arrived in Houston frozen solid with a severe boot failure, still picked up the windscreens and slept. Left for the Dallas area the next afternoon and 18 miles from my destination my '05 had ANOTHER

issue. Oil was sprayed from the valve cover all the way to the rear bags (Leg included). Another overnight stay at a forum members house, I was fed and rested and the next day we found the problem

to be better than our best case scenario we imagined the night before. (We were thinking valve cover gasket misplacement) We removed the tank to find an even simpler fix.

Left the Dallas area with the Helmet I purchased from CL and headed to Downsville, LA to a friends house. Arrived to a Hot Tub awaiting and was handed a beer, home made spaghetti and many episodes

of "Dexter" later, brought sleep and an afternoon departure. Rode back to West Palm Beach and arrived before 6 am.

Too late for STAGECOACH, but got some cold weather riding experience.
cold.gif

Front tire now sits over 25,800 miles on it. (With plenty to give)

Trip Spot Here: SpotWalla - Trip Viewer - Texas farkle ride/'14 Stagecoach

Last edited by a moderator:
That Lander has been a bonus on several Rallies. So far I've missed it as I have resisted the temptation to route into, and out of Houston. I have nothing against that fine city, it's just that rally routing in metropolitan areas can be troublesome. I guess I won't be able to avoid it forever though ... RMs seem to like Lunar Landers :D

Oil was sprayed from the valve cover all the way to the rear bags (Leg included). Another overnight stay at a forum members house, I was fed and rested and the next day we found the problemto be better than our best case scenario we imagined the night before. (We were thinking valve cover gasket misplacement) We removed the tank to find an even simpler fix.
So, where did the oil come from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil was sprayed from the valve cover all the way to the rear bags (Leg included). Another overnight stay at a forum members house, I was fed and rested and the next day we found the problemto be better than our best case scenario we imagined the night before. (We were thinking valve cover gasket misplacement) We removed the tank to find an even simpler fix.
Valve cover had a bolt that was laying on top (Totally Out)

And what tire are you running on the front?
PR2 Front- I usually get between 22-27k on the front

This tire looks like it could be my first 30k tire!

Valve cover had a bolt that was laying on top (Totally Out)

And what tire are you running on the front?
PR2 Front- I usually get between 22-27k on the front

This tire looks like it could be my first 30k tire!

I can't get half that mileage on PR2's, still like them,honestly didn't think they would last that long!