Went down today, Trailriding on pine needles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
Well I decided to take the XR out today for its monthly romp to keep the battery charged up. I made one loop around the block (5 miles) and the engine still wasn't completely warmed up. So I decided to keep going. There are some trails behind the neighborhood school that I frequent with the XR. The weather was damp and misty still. My cheap ass every day HJC helmet was starting fog up on the trails. While trying to negotiate a right hand turn and giving it some gas the bike just slid out from me. I realized I was going down and heading right for a 12 to15 inch pine tree along with a bunch of scrub bush.

The good news is I had all my protective gear on. I managed to run into a lower branch and snap that right off and bounced off the tree.

It wasn't easy crawling out from under a 350 lb. bike but I managed. My ankle an thumb are a little sore but everything else seems o.k. for now.

The front forks are tweeked and need to be realigned and possibly a new set of handle bars are in order. Some of the graphics took a beating but no broken plastic. After getting over the excitement I managed to pull the bike back out and get it started.

Lesson learned! Stay off of wet pine needles when possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch, good news is you're relatively ok. Battle scars look good on that bike. ;)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. The varied trail surfaces and traction is one reason I have always ridden so timidly when I rode dirt bikes. Truthfully, I never liked it much.

I have fallen before on the big red pig at slower speeds but this is the first time that I ran it into something that didn't move. It surely wasn't the best riding conditions but I was bored and needed to get out of the house for a bit. I think the branch is what twisted the forks. The lower skid plate is what bounced off the tree. I may have tweaked the foot peg a little so now it will match the other side. Just soar at this point and should be fine in a day or two.

Dave

It's not the first tree you clip that hurts. It's the second one that clobbers you after the first tree sends you off your line. I speak as something of an authority on the subject.

Good job on protecting the XR from the tree with your body. Well done!
I am agreeing with this completely. Your sacrifice has been noted.

Truly glad you were able to pick the Big Red Pig up and get it re-started. I hope that you are not too sore in the next few days (you will be) and that you don't wake up in the morning to find that you are more injured than you think.

My heart sank when I read your title, I was afraid this was another FJR crash. The thought of sliding into a pine tree with that is not a pleasant one.

Well, I look at it this way. At least I got my bad luck out of the way early for 2015.

Dave

Good job on protecting the XR from the tree with your body. Well done!
I am agreeing with this completely. Your sacrifice has been noted.

Truly glad you were able to pick the Big Red Pig up and get it re-started. I hope that you are not too sore in the next few days (you will be) and that you don't wake up in the morning to find that you are more injured than you think.

My heart sank when I read your title, I was afraid this was another FJR crash. The thought of sliding into a pine tree with that is not a pleasant one.
+1, Gunny; just glad that you are OK Dave, the hawt chicks dig scars Dude! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Ouch!

The poor old ten year old bike!

I mean to say it's good to know you came out ok Mr Dave
smile.png

Glad you're OK and glad the bike's ride-able.

You were riding in January in Massachusetts? My hat's off to you, sir.

"It wasn't easy crawling out from under a 350 lb. bike but I managed. My ankle an thumb are a little sore but everything else seems o.k. for now."

Can you imagine what it would be like if you were on one of those 550 lb "adventure bikes" ?

"It wasn't easy crawling out from under a 350 lb. bike but I managed. My ankle an thumb are a little sore but everything else seems o.k. for now."
Can you imagine what it would be like if you were on one of those 550 lb "adventure bikes" ?
I believe that's why they call them "adventure bikes".

Hey Dave, glad you're OK too. I just sold an '08 XR that I had for less than a year. I managed to dump mine half a dozen times in that time; fortunately, mostly in the sand and never into any objects. Mine had the stock Bridgestone tires on it & that front TW 301 did great on the street but washed easily in the loose stuff. Just curious what tires you run on yours?

Tires? Not sure but they are about a 60/40 more dirt than street. As soon as I hit the throttle in the pine needles it was like being on ice. Yes I have attempted to take the XR on ice and dumped it then.

Bill: Yes the bike is 10 years old but in damb good shape until now. I will get it back together. Come to think of it it is fully insured. Not sure if its

worth putting a claim in though.

UH: Yes the weather has been cooperating with me this year. Last year was another story. We were pretty much shut in.

Dave