Big Sky Rally dates set

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
Bob Torter e-mailed me last week with a link to the 2015 Big Sky Rally website.

https://thebigskyrally.com/

Bob and his beautiful and charming wife Sylvie are rallymasters and hosts. This is IBA sanctioned, Bob said. 2015 theme is "Working on the Railroad" or "WotR." It will launch from Big Sky Resort south of Bozeman, Mont. I'm no authority on these L-D rallies but observed the 2013 iteration up close and found it to be expert in its production and execution. What could be better than rallying in the Northern Rockies in August?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got notice of this rally this morning. I do believe I may just have to drop a ride, or two, I had begun planning for so I can ride it.

Nice website! I see the cover (b/g image) is of our local Steam RR right here in Arcade NY. I go by it once a week (it's still active!) and rode it when I was a small kid. Kewl :)

I'll be in your same (MT) neighborhood a couple weeks prior to your event, you guys have fun and be safe!

Bob Torter e-mailed me last week with a link to the 2015 Big Sky Rally website.
Bob probably shouldn't have done that, as the wotr subdirectory was a development area, and now it no longer exists.

But, he was excited and happy about the website I built for him, so, no worries.
punk.gif

The correct URL is simply: https://thebigskyrally.com/

DemonTrain2.png

Some of the BIGGEST NAMES in Endurance Riding are either Staff (Jeff Earls, Mike Kneebone, David E.B. Smith, Dave McQueeney, Peter Behm, myself, and many others) or participating (can't list these names, but they include a couple past IBR winners).

Routemaster Jeff Earls is willing to bet that no two top ten riders will select the same route. The rally has a playing field of approximately 1,000,000 square miles and is 36 hours in duration. There are no checkpoints although there may be call in bonuses. SPOT will be mandatory.

AND YOU CAN RIDE THE RAILROAD WITH IGGY!

TrainMatt.png

punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif

That looks like a great experience and I'd be interested in at least visiting; if it were not scheduled during the 1,000,000 Pirate ride in Sturgis where i am working.

My first-ever rally. Hoping to not make a complete fool out of myself :) I'll be there on my trusty 2014 Super Tenere!

My first-ever rally. Hoping to not make a complete fool out of myself
smile.png
I'll be there on my trusty 2014 Super Tenere!
No, no... you'll have a blast. Go for the "New to Sport" rider class, and you'll have a awesome time.

I am Staff for this event... see you in August....

No, no... you'll have a blast. Go for the "New to Sport" rider class, and you'll have a awesome time.

I am Staff for this event... see you in August....

Hi Dale...I'm friends with Doug Barrett, Cletha & Eric, etc (stayed with them in UT last fall). Looking forward to meeting you.

I am in. (Hell, its right down the road from me). Last time was my first organized event, and I stopped at home before getting any points for an hour of coffee and breakfast with the wife and kids. Still finished 6th in the New rider class (21st overall.)

Since then I have become IBA certified, and I still know these roads like the back of my hand. (probably got married at one of the stops I bet they are planning..)

If anyone might be interested in splitting room expenses, let me know.

Was originally planning on riding out with the wife, but that would require using up 3 to 4 extra vacation days getting there and back. She's not what you might consider the IBA type.

Deleted.

Pointed my question at the rally website and got my answer.

B