Tablet-based cockpit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
Greetings fellow farklers...

I have a 2005 that I heavily customized shortly after getting my new machine. It's been updated a couple of times, but I fear some of my electronics are getting long in the tooth. I'm wondering if I can simplify wiring and setup by using a tablet-based cockpit for GPS, music, comm and other accessories. Has anyone done this? It seems like the future...

Mogan

I've seen some bikes that were used in competitive long distance riding that had a couple of tablets integrated into their instrumentation. I'm not sure exactly what functions they were used for, but I think they provided info on route selection, weather and internet connectivity.

I'm wondering if I can simplify wiring and setup by using a tablet-based cockpit for GPS, music, comm and other accessories. Has anyone done this? It seems like the future...
I'm in the why camp as well because you seem focused on a tablet.

If your desire is less about having a device that maximizes time your hands are off the steering bits...then I'd say running a 590LM as a hub with some other devices (e.g. Sena stuff) and you can centralize your GPS, music, comms, and radar....sorta.....maybe.....kinda.

My first question is: Why?

Great question!

I have a garmin 550 that is tired.. it has some winking out problems and doesn't integrate music as nicely as I'd like. In replacing my GPS, I'd like to have more capable audio control that is ideally bluetooth based so I can reduce the wiring complexity on the bike. I have wiring harnesses everywhere and audio is one place I can simplify without reducing functionality. I've been a user of autocom gear for years to integrate intercom, music, GPS and radar.

My dream is to one day have a bike that's more like an airplane with modern avionics... a display that integrates many things.. fewer gauges, wires and a more reliable installation.

That's my dream anyway...

I've been motoring around with only the iPhone. It handles Google Maps, phone, music, and half-day weather forecasts just fine.

However, NAV disappears when I'm out of cell range. That has only happened in the heart of mountain country where there are (literally) no options to turn off the paved road anyway.

Immediately saw your desire to simplify, but also see NAV as the only weak point in a tablet-basded cockpit. Depends on how much you'll be in the boonies, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been motoring around with only the iPhone. It handles Google Maps, phone, music, and half-day weather forecasts just fine.
However, NAV disappears when I'm out of cell range. That has only happened in the heart of mountain country where there are (literally) no options to turn off the paved road anyway.

Immediately saw your desire to simplify, but also see NAV as the only weak point in a tablet-basded cockpit. Depends on how much you'll be in the boonies, I guess.
Consider something like the Tomtom app or CoPilot app for GPS. It'll cost a little money one time, but the maps are stored on the device, and it still works whether if can find a tower or not. You'll also cut way down on your data usage. You can update maps from a free wifi at a hotel, your home, McDonalds, etc. and won't even use your data minutes for that.

You can't do what you are asking for .... yet.

There are no tablets with a screen bright enough to use as a primary GPS, and no programs with the functionality to route to multiple stops. Some come close and if you are happy with less flexibility, Co-Pilot would be a decent choice. Good as it is, it is not good for route planning.

A phone like the Galaxy Note 4 is simply a small tablet with a phone built in, so that would be a decent starting point to integrate phone and tablet.

Tablets cannot handle your comms, for that you would need something like the SENA bluetooth headset. That would connect with your tablet (phone) and allow you to make and receive calls plus hear GPS directions and listen to music.

A tablet is useful for weather and things like digitizing the Rally Book, but again you would need a data connection for the weather to be "live". Useful in much of the country but you can rest assured it wouldn't work when you need it.

The bottom line is that you are setting yourself up for a great deal of frustration. Not because your thinking is off, but because the electronics are not yet ready for prime-time.

If I have the budget I would do the following:

Get a high end Zumo. Use that unit for navigation, weather and a bridge to handle the phone. Pair it with a SENA headset.

Feed a satellite radio and your tablet into a SENA Bluetooth Adaptor and pair that too.

Load your favorite music on to the Zumo.

With that arrangement you have access to radio, tablet, GPS and Phone. Most of the time the only thing you would be using would be the Zumo, simplifying the day to day usage.

You can't do what you are asking for .... yet.

The bottom line is that you are setting yourself up for a great deal of frustration. Not because your thinking is off, but because the electronics are not yet ready for prime-time.

Good Post Twigg.....

There is always a certainty that has prevailed in my life - and it seems for many others as well.....

We always want what just isn't available to us just yet.....

At this point, I'm pretty happy with my Sena and Android for pretty much all my needs, though I'm certainly far from the Iron Butt riders needs....

Google Maps / Copilot, various other apps, Music & Phone all in one simple install via Bluetooth.....

It sure would be nice to have a decent ability to download google maps to the phone / tablet......

Having a tablet that would be able to display multiple items at the same time like your looking for would be spectacular that is bright enough for us outside dwellers would be awesome - which I'll bet is coming soon.

There is a good possibility for you to be able to have a phone capable tablet and just switch your sim card from your phone to the tablet when you need to do something like that..... I have contemplated doing this.....

Consider something like the Tomtom app or CoPilot app for GPS. It'll cost a little money one time, but the maps are stored on the device, and it still works whether if can find a tower or not. You'll also cut way down on your data usage. You can update maps from a free wifi at a hotel, your home, McDonalds, etc. and won't even use your data minutes for that.

Twigg,

I think you're right on the money and on the right path with an upgrade path for me. I need to learn about Sena. I also want to make sure my new setup is two-up friendly. I need intercom functionality, passenger music and sometimes I use radar, too but have been using visual aides for that over audio in recent years. I also see that autocom now has a backward compatible bluetooth module. Perhaps I should keep the outcom, add their bluetooth module and upgrade to wireless headsets. The other wrinkle with that is that my preferred headset for long distance is custom earbuds/plugs combo. They help me listen to good music while keeping out the wind and road noise.

In this setup it sounds like the tablet is a multi-purpose planning and backup device for route planning and use at the hotel. The GPS is primary for NAV and music.

All other suggestions greatly appreciated. :)

. The other wrinkle with that is that my preferred headset for long distance is custom earbuds/plugs combo. They help me listen to good music while keeping out the wind and road noise.
With Sena, this is not a "wrinkle", but a feature. The SMH10 has a helmet mount available that you can plug your earbuds into, with the latest model that function is built into the standard model.

I didn't stipulate that the first run out for me to have in helmet comms was the Sena 20s....

My woman and I had a nice long distance journey with the 20s and I can't say enough about how smoothly things went for the entire journey.....

Its finally an extremely nice step forward in comms which I wouldn't have stepped into without the ability to share music from a common source, it binds us together on a journey to the point we are almost dancing on the bike sharing our favorite music together..... which is why I could care less on the idea of having XM or Sirius Radio with random songs..... the playlists are the key for us.... and if you don't like a song - just push and twist the dial on the side of your sena unit to get the next song.... need to answer a phone call, just tap the button..... phone pairing and music sharing is easy and simple with these units... www.sena.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/UsersGuide_Sena_20S_v1.3_en_20141121.pdf

My first installation of the Sena 20's into the Shoei GT Air - I felt the speakers didn't provide enough sound, but after installing the foam spacers to get the speakers closer to our ears I'm more then happy with the sound output.... plenty loud without ear buds which allows me to hear enough of the outside noise of traffic FWIW....

You can do what you're asking with the autocom, not so much the tablet though. I've been doing it for several years with a smartphone. Bluetooth dongle for autocom, with a Galaxy phone ram mounted on the bars. Gives me music, gps, and phone features.

The autocom works great for this and the sound is awesome. My daughter as a passenger will call home to mom thru the helmet and the wife can't tell we're riding.

Greetings fellow farklers...
I have a 2005 that I heavily customized shortly after getting my new machine. It's been updated a couple of times, but I fear some of my electronics are getting long in the tooth. I'm wondering if I can simplify wiring and setup by using a tablet-based cockpit for GPS, music, comm and other accessories. Has anyone done this? It seems like the future...

Mogan
Why, yes I have. My setup for the Void 9 rally this past fall: Waze, Bubbler & live weather radar (not shown: Side Sync for Samsung Galaxy S5) on Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, w/RAM tablet mount. Connected to Sena 20S + Klipsch earbuds) Worked fantastic, although using stylus (on a key ring retract-er) was fun at times.

Cockpit_zps34a5e848.jpg

Okay, I plan to experiment... have placed orders for an upgraded Garmin (590) with touratech mount and Sena 20s. I'll compare functionality with existing autocom, etc. and will report back. Looking forward to losing some of the wiring clutter. I'll wait another few years for a more radical update until new software makes the "glass cockpit" a real option.

Many thanks to all for the input...

dudeckp...

I love your cockpit, but will likely not go down this road. My goal in utilizing a tablet is cockpit simplification, not to augment the typical GPS setup with another ancillary screen. I'm hoping to simplify screens for the things I rely on and use most -- GPS/route planning and Music management. Thanks for your post!!

dudeckp...
I love your cockpit, but will likely not go down this road. My goal in utilizing a tablet is cockpit simplification, not to augment the typical GPS setup with another ancillary screen. I'm hoping to simplify screens for the things I rely on and use most -- GPS/route planning and Music management. Thanks for your post!!
Bear in mind that there are some good reasons for having two GPS units. I have used two ever since I started rallying. The one directly in front of me is doing the navigating and giving me instructions in my ear. It has one job and it does it very well. The other is usually set to display the "Trip Computer" screen. I use it as a speedometer, and with careful setting up of the screens I have a wealth of relevant information visible without having to press buttons.

In addition, the second GPS can look ahead for gas, motels and rum "what ifs" on the road. It is also a back-up and can seamlessly take over navigation if the primary fails.

Granted on a simple Cert. Ride it would be overkill, but on a rally it is beyond useful and you get used to having all that info available.