Hit the kill switch when stuck in traffic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan23

Reaction score
I got tired of trying the search feature, so I'll just ask: When you're in traffic and see that you'll have to idle the engine for long periods, do you hit the kill switch and restart when you can go? I've been doing this for a while now, but I'm wondering if there is a downside to the practice?

It is so much easier to do with the Gen III style kill/start switch that I've wondered if that is why the switch was redesigned? Long idle times in hot weather waiting for a light to change while car drivers take their sweet time results in engine temperatures climbing to the point that the cooling fans come on. I'm thinking that whatever extra starter use it takes is offset by the starter-- and everything else on the bike-- staying at cooler temperatures.

Do you do this and what's your take on the practice?

I never rarely do this, filtering is legal over here as long as you do it sensibly.

My only concern with using the kill switch is that (I believe) it leaves the headlights on.

If you only do it for short periods it probably won't be an issue but it would definitely help to have a clearly visible voltmeter so you can monitor the state of charge.

I would definitely not be concerned about the engine heating up to the point where the fans cuts in. The bike is designed to do this and will sit there quite happily.

Overheating is not something we have to worry about here..........
smile.png

We have liquid cooled engines, and they will do their job better, and you will be safer if you just leave it running. When I rode a V Twin air-cooled bike, switching off the engine made some sense on triple digit days. I have noticed with the FJR, that switching off, actually causes engine heat to rise, and when I go to turn it back on, the cooling fans will sometimes come on, even if they were not running before being switched off.

Add the safety aspect of not operating the engine in traffic, and I think this is a generally bad idea unless you know you're going to be stuck for a while...trains, highway closures, etc.

I got tired of trying the search feature, so I'll just ask: When you're in traffic and see that you'll have to idle the engine for long periods, do you hit the kill switch and restart when you can go?

Long idle times in hot weather waiting for a light to change while car drivers take their sweet time results in engine temperatures climbing to the point that the cooling fans come on.Do you do this and what's your take on the practice?
Dan23

Well, the cooling fans in cars come on when stuck in traffic, too. I might be concerned if the fans run constantly, and do not hold the temperatures at a set level. If the fans cycle on and off, I would not worry. I would not use the kill switch on my Gen2 when stuck in traffic, because the headlights stay on with the engine off. I would not want the battery to drain. That battery is not very large. I would shut of the bike at the key if engine temperatures were high, and the fans never cut off.

I do shut my FJR off when I am stuck in traffic for more than a few minutes. I generally watch the temperature gauge and voltage meter (voltage meter is on my radar detector) and when I think the temperature is getting high or the voltage is getting low I shut the engine down. I do not use the kill switch because that leaves the running lights on and that draws on the battery. I switch off the key.

My main concern is running the battery down when the fan is on constantly. I have brought this up before and some people don't think it's anything to worry about, but I get concerned when the voltage drops much below 12V, so I shut down. I find the voltage creeps down if the fan runs for an extended period at idle. Also, when the ambient temperature is very hot the temperature on the bike continues to rise at idle even with the fan running. Modern cars don't have this problem because they have much larger batteries and higher output alternators. The Gen 2 and 3 FJRs have higher output from the stator, so it will be less of a problem.

No, it's pointless in my opinion. It doesn't hurt the bike in the least even in the most extreme temperatures, and only costs an incremental bit of fuel at an idle level. Modern cooling systems work exceedingly well and the notion that that a bar, two, or more on a temp gauge is somehow bad is a myth.

Unless your system is boiling over or your sitting still 5 or 10 minutes or more (inwhich case I'd turn off the key)...I think its a pointless exercise and actually places more wear on the starter.

my hesitation to turn off the engine is that if I needed to get out of a jam right away cuz of a knucklehead move by a nearby cager, I would lose a few seconds fumbling around to start up the fjr. I would want to escape danger asap.

what are those situations? it's hard to predict what the other guy may do. inattentive, texting driver in back of me negligently lets foot off brake and begins creeping up on me from behind. or guy in front of me "doesn't see" me and puts it into reverse in hopes of making a lane change.

If the weather is hot and it's going to be a really long wait, road construction flagman or long slow train, I shut the engine down with the ignition switch. Mainly to keep me cool, not the engine.

If the weather is hot and it's going to be a really long wait, road construction flagman or long slow train, I shut the engine down with the ignition switch. Mainly to keep me cool, not the engine.
Same here except I hit the kill switch to let the fan run. Once the fan quits, I turn the key off.

Same here except I hit the kill switch to let the fan run. Once the fan quits, I turn the key off.
No point in leaving it on until the fans quit. You are just cooling fluid in the radiator; not the engine. There is no circulation without the engine (and water pump) running. I shut mine off if there is likely to be a long(er) delay due to construction or at a border crossing. I use the key so the headlights get killed too but often just cycle the key so I can hit the starter and go when its time - don't want to fumble with key. AS others have said, it isn't going to hurt the engine or have a big effect on fuel consumption but there is overheating of the rider and possible depletion of the battery if you have non-standard electrical loads.

I do it semi-regularly. At long lights, especially when it is summertime hot in Phoenix. Saves a bit of gas and keeps me cooler. Notice I didn't say bike. I am not worried about the FJR, just me. When that fan comes on idling at a light and it's over 100 degrees you REALLY feel that hot air. If it is a known long light I will cycle the ignition key to off to kill the headlights (and maybe fan) and save the battery.

My only concern is added abuse to the starter that over time could lead to a premature failure.

Couple of people mentioned the starter motor.

Sure you are putting it through another duty-cycle, but it is under the absolute favorite conditions for an easy start.

Bear it in mind, but I wouldn't be worrying too much.

The real issue with turning the engine off in heavy traffic is that there's quite a chance that an emergency vehicle may come and push its way through traffic. If I had an FZ-1, I might shut off the engine, but I haven't heard of an FJR boiling over from sitting and idling.

JncWxi.jpg

Several good points made here already. For my part, I’ll only kill the engine if I’m sure there’s no safety risk (i.e. all vehicles around me, including at least one or two behind are “good & stopped”). As long as that’s the case and if there’s a reason to shut ‘er down for heat comfort, communication, etc. then I’ll do it. For short periods I’ll use the kill switch and leave the ignition on. For longer periods I’ll turn off the ignition to save the battery.

I used to use the kill switch less, but after using it quite frequently in the Experienced Rider Course I came to realize that it’s really not a big deal as long as your battery's in good shape.

G-Man summed it up well. Mostly mirrors when and how I would shut it down. Only difference is if I'm going to shut it down, I do so with key.

Border crossings, long trains, construction delays, etc., I will turn off the bike with the key...you gotta kill those headlights. Other than that, never considered stopping the engine while in traffic. My experience has been the FJR will happily sit in traffic while cycling fans and not boil, at least in any temperatures I'll ride in!

Ride more, stress less!

--G

I used to ride with an old buddy who enjoyed pulling up alongside of me on the right side at a stop sign, reach over and shut me down with a flick of my kill switch just as the light turned green. Needless to say, I started thwarting this action whenever I was aware of it. In fact, I quit riding with this individual. I now refer to him as the Craig a nator!

The reality of the situtation is, I do NOT want to use the kill switch at an intersection stop because I don't know who is behind me in case I need to move quick to avoid having my six violated. Use the clutch at a stop, down shift, and shut her down with the key if you are going to stay awhile.

...just some of my CO2

I thought I read in a post somewhere that newer FJR's shut off after 20 minutes idling?
crazy.gif
From my Gen II Owner's Manual:

This model is equipped with:…an engine auto-stop system. The engine stops automatically if left idling for 20 minutes. In this case, the multi-function display indicates error code 70, but this is not a malfunction. Push the start switch to clear the error code and to restart the engine.
I've not had an opportunity to test that out, because it never takes me that long to finish my beer
stunned.gif