2010 or 2008?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazglenn3

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a deposit on a 2008 FJR1300A. The bike is $5500 and has 67K miles. It also has MCCruise installed, V-Stream windshield, highway pegs, and an aftermarket trunk. I found a 2010 FJR1300A today that has 11K miles and the only farkle is a V-Stream windshield. They are asking $7995. My question for the collective is whether you guys think the 2010 is worth the cost difference for the lower mileage or is the 2008 bike a better deal because of the farkles even though the miles are higher. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'd go with the 10. I think that was also the first year that heated grips came standard. And I like the silver color.

Oh yeah, the 2008 has the OEM heated grips, too. Thanks for the reminder! You think the silver paint would be worth the $2500?

Oh yeah, the 2008 has the OEM heated grips, too. Thanks for the reminder! You think the silver paint would be worth the $2500?
No...but I think it might be worth 56k miles. And I believe that they cleared up some of the recalls by 2010. But hey, I'm still loving my 06 with 93k miles.

I've got an '08 that has about the same mileage....I think I'm at 65K or so....

I know my bike's good to go for a good long while more, BUT... I did the valve check on mine and it needed adjustment. On the 10, you'd be able to do the first one yourself. On the '08, it would be good to know the service history. Black is the best color so the '08 has the advantage there. Maybe they'd go down further on that price b/c of miles (?) As much as I love mine I'd be surprised to get $5K out of it and it's been well maintained.

That is what I'm thinking. 67K well maintained miles should be nothing on a FJR1300. And the cruise control is $800 alone. The 2008 just had the top end done and new fork seals. The service history is very good and has been performed by a mechanic.

Stay with the 08. You can always trade up later. That's my opinion anyway. That's not a bad price for the 08 but I guess you can always try and haggle.

Edit: Oh yeh, black paint is the hardest color out there and takes the abuse.

Dave

Thanks, Dave! I was just thinking the same thing about trading up later. When I looked at the bike it was pretty dirty but I was assured the paint is in excellent condition. The price was firm given the recent maintenance that was done and the installed farkles. That is the best price I have seen in this area as well.

Dunno, think I'd spring for the lower mileage '10 and pay $7500. It's a buyers market out there, especially during the winter doldrums.

Good luck!

--G

Dunno, think I'd spring for the lower mileage '10 and pay $7500. It's a buyers market out there, especially during the winter doldrums.
Good luck!

--G
I agree! I'd get the '10 too but, that's just me. That '10 is a spring chicken. It all depends on how much $$$ Chaz has to play with. Can't go wrong either way. :)