Sell fully farkled, or reduce price and sell stock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULEWZ

Reaction score
I just bought an FJ-09 and need to sell my 2007 FJR1300. I have it listed fully farkled and have had very good response, but everybody wants a fully farkled FJR for a stock KBB price. So here is the question, which mods should I sell separate, and which should I leave on?

Here is the add, suggestions are very much appreciated:

I have for sale my fully farkled 2007 FJR1300 (FJR 1300). It has tons of mods:
Cee Bailey 2+2 Windscreen, PowerCommanderV, Frame sliders, Penske 8983 double clicker, Race Tech Gold valves, Sonic springs (set for 180 to 200 lbs), Rear trunk, Progrip 714 grips, Garauld highway peg mounts with Rivco pegs , All balls steering stem bearings, Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Delkevic hex pipes, Baldwin leather seats, EBC HH pads.
Bought a new bike, this has to go. No reasonable CASH offer refused. $7,200.

I would like a shot at the Highway pegs if you start cannibalizing your girl!!!

Tough call. I bought mine mostly Farkled. I knew that it would cost me some more because it had a ton of stuff that I wanted on it. It was basically a toss up between paying the extra 1500 for mine done up or finding one that was "stripped down" for less money. Either way, good luck. Hope it goes well and enjoy the new bike.

1. You'll never get KBB for any bike.

2a. You'll rarely get 50 cents on the dollar for farkles.

2b. When left on the bike, you'll rarely get more than ZERO cents on the dollars for farkles.

Do you want to sell it quickly? Expect under KBB and get the best you can.

Do you want the most money possible? Defarkle it, expect to sell for under KBB and part out the farkles at whatever they'll bring (and be glad for anything over 50% of original purchase price).

2b. When left on the bike, you'll rarely get more than ZERO cents on the dollars for farkles.

Do you want the most money possible? Defarkle it, expect to sell for under KBB and part out the farkles at whatever they'll bring (and be glad for anything over 50% of original purchase price).

^^^^

This

I sold my '06 last Spring. Before doing so, I took off the easy-to-return-to-stock farkles and sold them separately. Got something for them, but far more than if they were worth left on the bike. Bounce's reply in post #4 above is spot on. It really comes down to how much work you're willing to do. Defarkle and sell will net the biggest return; leave as-is will net the smallest. Have fun with that FJ-09!

If its more money you're after?.. then strip dem farkles and sell sell sell.

If you want convenience? sell outright w farks.

^^^^

This
You have your answer right here...

--G

Would be interested in the Cee Bailey. And agree with defarkling.

Please post up your ride impressions of the FJ09, very interested to hear about this bike. Almost pulled the trigger on an FZ09 but wanted what the FJ now has like more upright position and larger tank, although that tank is still a little small for a sport tourer but that would depend on mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sell the bike defarkled.

I had no trouble selling off the good bits, such as the PC5/Autotune/LCD200 & McCruise control off my last FJR.

Made a couple of thousand dollars extra.

My local Yamaha dealer takes all the farkles off the bikes people leave on their bikes when they trade them in and sells them.

His office is full of used farkles, windshields, aftermarket seats, highway pegs etc.

Here ya go:

Pull:

1. Windshield

2. Power commander

3. Sliders

4. Trunk

5. Pegs

6. Cans

7. Seats... and maybe the suspension...

Put em up for sale: yer getting offers already !!!

Leave the rest on the bike and take the hit: sell it. (it will sell quicker thanks to that amazing suspension).

I'm thinking that pulling that suspension will be a royal pain. If I'm wrong, go ahead and pull it, you'll be $$ ahead.

Oh yeah, even though ya live in Cali, you still ain't gonna pull as much $$ as ya would if'n ya waits about 3 months ta sell.

Good luck

Gary

I've made about $600 this week on aftermarket parts that I pulled off the VTX1300 I traded in on my 2012 FJR (should've bought it first, lost my a$$ on the Honda....). I'm getting about $.50 on the $1 for the parts.

I'd pull everything possible for repurposing or resale. If you like it and can use it on the FJ-09 you should do so. Sell everything else.

BTW..... I'd be interested in the Cruise control.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanted to blow out the farkles for quick cash, you might get something like:

Windshield: $75

PCV: $200

Sliders: $50?

Penske 8983: $600

Gold Valves: $50

Sonic Springs: $50

Rear Trunk: $100-250 (Givi-OEM)

Highway Pegs: $75

Delkevic Pipes: $200

Depending on condition, you might walk with $1500 in your pocket from the defarkling. You'd also be able to tell the next buyer that you just replaced the fork oil, but you'd need to do all the work to get this stuff off (maybe a long day), and you'd need the original parts to put back on. After that, offer your bike for $6000 and it will get gobbled up in a hurry!

(I did this with my last bike, a lightly farkled Kawasaki Versys. I pulled the farkles and sold them, drove the bike for two years, then sold it for exactly what I paid for it with farkles)

If you wanted to blow out the farkles for quick cash, you might get something like:Windshield: $75

PCV: $200

Sliders: $50?

Penske 8983: $600

Gold Valves: $50

Sonic Springs: $50

Rear Trunk: $100-250 (Givi-OEM)

Highway Pegs: $75

Delkevic Pipes: $200

Depending on condition, you might walk with $1500 in your pocket from the defarkling. You'd also be able to tell the next buyer that you just replaced the fork oil, but you'd need to do all the work to get this stuff off (maybe a long day), and you'd need the original parts to put back on. After that, offer your bike for $6000 and it will get gobbled up in a hurry!

(I did this with my last bike, a lightly farkled Kawasaki Versys. I pulled the farkles and sold them, drove the bike for two years, then sold it for exactly what I paid for it with farkles)
Good thought and prices there, but the gold valves will stay, but the baldwin seat can be added. It is a fantastic seat in leather with red thread.