Should I get a TBS done while I get my valves checked

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
It's time for my first valve clearance check at 26000 miles. I feel pretty good about my local Yamaha dealer maintenance guy and he's been good so far even though I've got the only FJR they ever see. They're mostly a Victory dealer. I've talked to him about TBS before and he doesn't recommend it. That's why I haven't ever had one done. He said he'd be glad to do it but he believes that if you don't adjust them, they stay put, but once you adjust them you have to keep adjusting them.

It's still running really well, so I may not push it. But I'm not sure.

If the valves require any significant adjustment (unlikely) then the accuracy of the throttle body synch can be affected. I'd ask your dealer to tell you what, if any adjustment to the valves is required before making a final call on the TBS.

When you crack the throttle open quickly from an idle (in neutral), does the engine seem to pop on just one cylinder before it it takes off? Or does it seem to launch relatively smoothly? If it doesn't seem like something's amiss, I wouldn't bother paying to have someone tell you that it's fairly close already. But then it might not hurt to ask what it would cost to check it. At least you'd know for future reference...

Gary

darksider #44

I highly recommend the TBS. It's probably a bit off now and will only become more out of sync as you ride more. After I did the TBS on my bike, it ran better with less vibration. And if you're having the valve check done, everything's apart already and it's an easy ten minute procedure.

Has it ever had a TBS? If not I would go ahead and have it done just because. Sometimes, over the long haul, performance kind of falls off a bit un-noticed, especially since the FJR has so much to begin with, and when restored it can be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go ahead and have it done. while they are working on it. it should not take an extra 15 minutes. it will make the machine smoother and help on fuel mileage. not a big deal but worth the trouble in my opinion

I'm a believer in the unauthorized TBS, especially if you have an extra buzzy rpm range in the normal highway speeds. If there is a tech day that you could make it to, it's another option.

It will probably be cheaper to get it done while he is doing the valve check.

I would go for it. I've never heard that getting a tbs makes you more likely to need one in the future.

A TBS is a service item that Yamaha recommends on the bike's first service.

I haven't had to adjust them since, they have been check a few times.

Why not check the TBS after a valve check, doesn't take much.

There ya go Goodman; all cleared up for you. Bottomline is that it probably will not change the level of enjoyment you get from the bike no matter what you decide to do. One more thing to ponder is that you could learn to do the TBS yourself. Really an easy job as is just about everything on the bike except actually adjusting the valves. Maybe DIY maintainence is not your thing, but if you want to start there is no time like the present.

I talked with him about it and he said he'd look at it and try to see if it needed adjusting. He kind of made me feel like we were talking apples and oranges so I hope he knows what he's doing. He's had a couple big wins for me on my Hondas and they aren't a Honda shop. They are certified Yamaha and Victory and now have Indian.

The deal with the TBS is that you don't know it's needed if you don't do it. Meaning, the bike seems smooth because it's all you know, but if the TBS is off and you adjust it, then you realize that it's now smoother. Gen II bikes hold sync well, much better than Gen I, and so far, my Gen III has held sync just fine at 40K miles. I'd suggest they check it.

Do it. Every slight improvement helps. Plugs new when still working but optimal, yes. Air filter the same, yes. Unless you, as a rider will never notice. Not a slam, just that some peeps can ride really under-performing FJR's and be happy. I'm not one of them.

Either way, you will be happy. One way you will be happier although your wallet might be a tad lighter. Learn to do it yourself. Enjoy.

The deal with the TBS is that you don't know it's needed if you don't do it. Meaning, the bike seems smooth because it's all you know, but if the TBS is off and you adjust it, then you realize that it's now smoother. Gen II bikes hold sync well, much better than Gen I, and so far, my Gen III has held sync just fine at 40K miles. I'd suggest they check it.
^^^^ Exactly my experience too. If a TBS has never been performed, it's at least worth a check to establish a baseline. Once that is done, probably not worth the effort unless something seems amiss.

Just for grins, I throw the sticks on my '09 at every plug change...rock steady!

--G

I got it back today after the valve check. He "checked the TBS" and said it was perfect, just like the valves. I had him put in the battery I had bought a few months ago when I had some starter oddities. I was a little disappointed the bill was for 8 hours of labor. I know some of you pros could do this in 2, but is there a normal allowance that Yamaha allows for?

IIRC valve inspection typically runs about 4 - 5 hours labor with an experienced technician. TBS could add an extra 1/2 hour.

What else did you have done?

--G

Eight hours labor to just to check the valves and do a TBS is out of line. I think I could do it in about half that time and I'm not a Pro.

Check valves, TBS, check charging system and install the battery I had bought. I know they spent a longer time because he broke my glove compartment and rigged it up to work again. I was hoping they didn't charge me for that part. They said they fabricated something to get me by, but they thought it was actually better than it was. I looked it over briefly (it started snowing today and I was in a hurry) and I can't even tell by looking at it so far. But I can tell it works better than it did. It always felt like it was going to break before. They said if I didn't like it just let them know and they'd order a new box.

So I'm not complaining about that. I just want to be sure I'm not paying double because they don't know the FJR very well. I'll pay a little more to have them do my work because I think they are honest and I don't want to have to drive an hour to go someplace that occasionally sees FJRs.