Abrupt Slow Speed Turn-In

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexford

Reaction score
Getting used to the FJR, Loving the FJR, but I do have one question.....

Anyone with experience on say a BMW GSA

On slow speed maneuvering is the handling of the bike seem abrupt or heavy..?

Is this the nature of the beast?

Is this perhaps the tires (running stock w/3000 miles, no cupping on the front, and running tire pressure @ FT38 RR42.

Now granted the wheelbase is shorter, the rake and trail are also different on the beemers and maybe the design of the front end may be a factor...

Oh sorry, bike is a 14A model.

Rexford

I find that when running the Michelin PRs - 2s, 3s, 4s - on my Gen 1 FJRs that at about 3,500 miles the steering starts to become increasingly heavy, high-effort, getting progressively more so as miles pile up. My last rear, a PR 4, is a 190 and that may be contributing.

Put some canyon cages or sliders on that thing, take an advanced riders course, and practice, practice, practice the slow speed maneuvering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure which tires you have, but the stock Bridgestone BT-023F tires are not known to be long-lasting or good handling near the end of life. Your pressures are correct and I have felt this same problem on a bike with worn PR2 tires. The Bridgestone BT-023GT and BT-30 are a completely different beast for handling and wear. Several owners have simply tossed the OEM tire and changed.

bump the air up to 40 f and 41 rear

practice with your new bike. each design acts differently. get to know each with lots of parking lot practice. msf:erc courses will give you the starting point which then is up to you to continue working.

It's a heavy bike and to many, especially those raised on cruisers, it can feel top-heavy at times. This is something that would normally only manifest itself at low speeds. Once the speed rises the FJR is a very stable platform, again in contrast with many cruisers.

There are a bunch of bike which, while all different, have a few characteristics in common. ST1300, FJR1300, Honda Blackbird, Suzuki Hayabusa ... Fast, heavyweight sports-tourers all tend to be rock-solid continent crossers, yet can pose the odd problem in the parking lot. Personally my previous bike was a Yamaha Venture Royale, so the FJR felt like a lightweight :D

What I am taking a long time saying is that the low-speed handling is a feature, rather than a fault but can be made much worse by tired suspension, poor tires, wrong pressures, inexperience .... it's a long list.

By the way, motorcycle tires are notoriously poor in terms of quality control, so don't assume you have a good set even if they are fairly new.

It is worth noting that finding somewhere to practise and gain confidence was very good advice. The FJR can feel a bit like a lumbering wildebeest in a hotel parking lot, but it is very predictable holds few surprises.

Its sounds to me like he thinks the low-speed turn in is to fast, not to slow.

All the same factors apply and is likely because he's just not used to the characteristics of the bikes handling. Coming off a cruiser, the FJR turns FAST at slow speed. Coming off a sport bike, it turns slow. Not sure about the GSA as I've never had the chance to ride one. Different beast, different handling.

You may consider checking the sag on your front forks as well. Too soft or too hard will affect turn in. Mine sag about 1.5", which, for me, makes a fun crooked road ride without sacrificing comfort on those long freeway days.

My 2013 actually felt like it steered too slow with the OEM tires. Replacing them with BT023GTs quicked it substantially.

As I've said elsewhere, I painted spots on the top floor of a nearby parking deck that represent the DMV's motorcycle driving test #1 and #2. Then you PRACTICE. My warm up for every ride is #1 and #2 to the left, then #1 and #2 to the right. Does wonders for your confidence, especially after you've dropped her in a parking lot already. Twice.
confusedsmiley.png

Click here for diagrams: www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ridertest2.pdf Spots and corners are 12 feet apart, so you practice doing a U-turn in the width of a 24-foot-wide two lane roadway.

Thanks for the replys......

By the way guys... I've been practicing, that's why I brought this subject up. It is nothing that is making the bike out of control or anything like that, I just noticed that the bike turns in rather abruptly (read heavy and fast), during slow speeds.

I will be replacing tires before spring gets here..... and will most likely go with (if I can find them) PR2's if not I'll move up the scale to 3's and 4's....

Rexford

Rexford, I really liked a set of Pirelli Angel GTs I used up last year. The steering never went away, as it seems to with the Michelins, and I got fair mileage, considering two-up, loaded mountain twisties with chip-sealed asphalt - around 7K. Like to run 39-40 PSI out front, 41-42 in back.

New tires definitely help in low-speed riding. The FJR is a lot of things, but a fun around-town nimble bike it is not. When I 'upgraded' from my bandit 1200 to the FJR, I was honestly a little disappointed with the handling at first as I rode it around town breaking it in. Out on the road you figure out what it's really good at--hauling the mail from medium to go to jail speeds, twisty or straight--all day long
smile.png

All great replys...., What I am gathering is that it is the nature of the beast at slow speeds. But as Spud wrote....it do haul and is fun in the twisties. I was not complaining as such, just wanted an experienced opinion on the slow speed handleing.

Have a great evening guys....

Rexford

Low speed handling will be much different / heavier than the GS.

As mentioned, bump up the front tire pressure to 40 psi. If the bike is still heavy and falling at slow speeds, closely inspect the front tire for uneven and / or funky wear. OTOH, you're far enough into the front tire that I'd just replace it with an 023GT or T30GT.

Good luck!

--G

I've done the slow speed courses and competition stuff. I try to keep up with that skill on my FJR and found the biggest problem was I OWN IT! Once I got beyond the preverbal "buck stops with me" business, the bike was surprisingly responsive and did fine. I can go lock to lock and do a figure 8 in 4 standard parking stalls which is a measurement I use for maintaining my skills. I dont drag the rear brake but I do slide over on the seat and use the engine revs, (with clutch engaged), to bring the bike back up.

I keep my front at 41psi and the rear at 40psi. If I were to come in hot, the front would dip way too much thus I have to come into the turns slow and in a neutral position. Other bikes I've ridden are not a problem thus I need to do some suspension adjusting soon. On the collision avoidance drills it seem to perform better than the BMW RT1200's and I'm at a higher speed. So when in motion, I've been very impressed and it felt fine. It did take some time to get used to the feel of the bike before I was comfortable with the drills.

Guys,

I dont really agree on the several claims that the FJR suffers from poor handling at slow speed. Sure its heavy but if you have decent tyres on (my choice is the BT30GT) and good self confidence and avoid the front brake!!! there should be no major issues.

Here in europe, most countries use FJRs as police and emergency bikes (france, holland belgium malta - police, uk - emergency). all you have to do to be humbled and quit moaning about the bike is to look at the forces on the job..The coppers back home can outperform the bolshoi ballet in traffic on their FJRs and I have seen the french in action....

for me its plainly clear that most motorcycle riders (me included) do not dedicate enough training time for slow speed manoeuvring. its understandable of course because of the risk of denting one`s bike but its necessary.

I have started to do at least 2 hours a month dedicated to slow speed skills in an empty parking lot. I have 2 bikes; an adventure bike(honda transalp 650) and the FJR. The FJR is actually easier to do circles and figure of 8ths in because its stable, and heavy low down compared to the adventure bike (especially when the latter is loaded). the adventure wins because of the wide bars and tight steering lock at crawling speed

Just my 2c

To the original poster - YES, it does.

I'm on my third FJR. All three were the same way. I run 40 PSI in the front and that helps. I can tell the difference in a couple of PSI in the front tire. When it starts to get heavy, it reminds me to check the tire pressure.

It's the nature of the beast. I admit that it's a bit weird, because (otherwise) the steering is neutral.

Getting used to the FJR, Loving the FJR, but I do have one question.....
Anyone with experience on say a BMW GSA

On slow speed maneuvering is the handling of the bike seem abrupt or heavy..?

Is this the nature of the beast?

Is this perhaps the tires (running stock w/3000 miles, no cupping on the front, and running tire pressure @ FT38 RR42.

Now granted the wheelbase is shorter, the rake and trail are also different on the beemers and maybe the design of the front end may be a factor...

Oh sorry, bike is a 14A model.

Rexford
Wut kinda tires? Michelin (PRs) usually turn in slow, I run Bridgestone T30s and mah bike "falls in" at slow speeds.

Sport bikes are generally heavy on the front, touring bikes are generally light on the front; especially Bring Mor Wallets w/ that goof telelever shit. (I've seen a chart somewhere that has sport touring bikes front to rear weight bias.) This is why I luv me the4 FJR, cuz the front iz planted, gives great feed back, and you can get on the gas early.
punk.gif

As other have suggested, bump up the front psi to 40/41, (And I usually run 43/44 rear.) and maybe crank in a little preload too.

You'll get used to it.

for me its plainly clear that most motorcycle riders (me included) do not dedicate enough training time for slow speed manoeuvring. its understandable of course because of the risk of denting one`s bike but its necessary.
I have started to do at least 2 hours a month dedicated to slow speed skills in an empty parking lot. I have 2 bikes; an adventure bike(honda transalp 650) and the FJR. The FJR is actually easier to do circles and figure of 8ths in because its stable, and heavy low down compared to the adventure bike (especially when the latter is loaded). the adventure wins because of the wide bars and tight steering lock at crawling speed
After taking the Alameda Co. Sheriff's Office civilian training course last year, which is a full day of mostly slow-speed handling, I now practice tight, slow-speed u-turns every time I get on the bike.