replacing rubber grips on 2007 bike with heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplysounds

Reaction score
replacing rubber grips on fjr1300 2007 bike with heated grips?

is it possible to remove the original yamaha rubber grips from the heating elements and install replacement grips over the top on a 2007 bike with built the in yamaha heated grips?

a while ago i did it on my bmw (although bmw say buy a new grip for $$$$) by carefully part cutting the grip and manged to gently get them off.

If the heated grips still work, grip puppy's slid over the top of the stock grips. The heat still works through the grip puppy's. I change out the the grip puppy's every spring.

https://www.andystrapz.com/products-details.php?productId=178&productCategoryId=113&Level=1

grip_puppy_fitted1.jpg

i use the grip puppies over the grips too. takes a bit of time to heat up, bu it's ok. I always found the grips to be kinda thin.

I have the Grip Buddies. They go around the stock grips and attach with Velcro.

replacing rubber grips on fjr1300 2007 bike with heated grips?

is it possible to remove the original yamaha rubber grips from the heating elements and install replacement grips over the top on a 2007 bike with built the in yamaha heated grips?

a while ago i did it on my bmw (although bmw say buy a new grip for $$$$) by carefully part cutting the grip and manged to gently get them off.
Before harming the OEM grips, look up the replacement cost
uhoh.gif
Now that we have that out of the way
wink.png
Take the OEM grips off, put on heat tapes like Symtec for ~$55 USD and wire them into the factory harness using connectors that you can source from Eastern Beaver so it will still be Plug 'n Play. You can use the OEM heat controller with heat tapes, and even after the expensive minimum order from Easter Beaver you will still be into it for <$100 USD. Now you can put on any grips you want. (You could harvest the connectors off the OEM grips and graft them onto the heat tapes. If you ever want to go back to OEM grips just transfer the connectors back to the OEM wiring.)

FWIW, when my Gen I heated grips died I cut into the grip where the wire enters the throttle grip. In no way could these grips be easily taken apart without risk of damage. All you have to do is FUBAR one OEM grip and it will be way more expensive to replace just that one grip than simply adding heated tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on Grip Buddies https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/ . I found that they are thinner than Grip puppies (and much easier to put on). They only last me a couple of seasons (my clutch glove has a seam that rubs through them) but they are inexpensive enough that I just put the throttle one on the clutch side and put a new one on the throttle side every couple of years.