How'd I do? New-used '05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
I just made a deal on a pristine '05 with 8,000 miles, Yamaha color-matched trunk and Beowulf cans, brand new battery, tires with 1,000 miles for $5,600. Otherwise stock. I'm happy. I will move some farkles from my current '05 - 56K - to the "new" one. Then the "old one" goes up for sale.

If you were only "closer"...I bet Tony/pathfinder from Florida would be interested in your 05.

wink.png

If you were only "closer"...I bet Tony/pathfinder from Florida would be interested in your 05.

wink.png
I don't think Tony has ever been afraid of distance
biggrin.png
I agree. I mean, that is only the width of the country away. For Tony that is only a day and a half or so.

Good score on a very nice bike by the way. It is impressive to me that a 10 year old motorcycle is still relevant in today's market. And such low miles... What was the original owner thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, nice find Cole. Sticking with a 1st Gen is very smart financially. You get to keep all of your old farkles and you get a nearly new bike for dirt cheap!

Yes, yes, and yes. Montana to Florida - in a couple of months - would make a nice tour. The original owner has five other bikes, which I think explains the low miles. The basic FJR platform has been around since 2001 and, yes, is still relevant because they got it so right the first time. And the relative simplicity appeals to my neo-Luddite self (analog speedo!).

Great find for you. Too bad you are selling the other 05 as it is just getting broke in! Hope to make a ride out you way some day as I would love to Montana.

Okay, I sold the "old" 56K '05 FJR today for $4,500. So net $1,100 to shave 48,000 miles off the odo. Well, my wife, my pal and I put probably 25 hours total in moving all my farkles, which is considerable - with 16 items on my to-do list. (I am aware some FJR guys could do an engine swap in less time!) I'm happy. I didn't even advertise it, just mentioned I had it for sale to a friend who rides a Valkyrie. I said I wanted $4,850; he said $4,500 and we'd have a deal. Done! Weather is supposed to hit high 50s next week. Let's ride!

Yamaha color matched trunk to boot. I'm jealous. Pictures???
The Yamaha trunk got moved from the new "keeper" to the for-sale (sold) bike. My wife said she liked our old Givi V46 better. Mamma's happy... I'm also more trusting of the Givi mounting than the factory Yamaha set-up. But I kept the Beowulff mufflers. By the way, I found it highly gratifying that Marilyn wanted to help and did. It was fun having her around the garage with me. She swapped the windshields and helped with removing and replacing plastics. She's very good with puzzles and has more patience than I do, and her fingers are more nimble so she actually enjoyed using the fasteners. She said she was surprised I didn't scream obscenities once during the whole process (even when a couple of those fasteners disappeared into the bike's interior black hole). I guess this illustrates why we just marked 30 years of matrimonial bliss.

That's a good deal on a '05. Best year and all etc etc.

I paid $6K for mine in Dec of 2009, with 14k miles on the clock. It has 79K miles on it now, has survived or been revived from a deer hit, many more miles left on her. Gonna keep her till she dies.

I am loyal that way. :)

Congrats on the new bike. Hope to meet you in Big Sky in August.

I'm liking the "new" ride. Went and logged 310 miles yesterday, decent temps, big winds. But I've found the unbaffled Beowulfs are too much sound. So I took the baffles with me yesterday and at mid-ride, for comparison purposes, installed them. Ahhhh... That's more like it. Audible but not tiresome. They stay. I think the baffles cut the volume by about 40 percent. Wonder what they do to peak power? I couldn't readily notice a difference. Now let's see what Momma says. They may be much louder back at the pillion.