Ruger LC9s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Bike shops and gun shops may be hazardous to ones budget. Had a chance encounter with the new Ruger LC9s striker fired 9mm, 7+1 magazine and will handle +p stuff. Very slick little compact rig, appears well made with a slick trigger pull of around 5lbs and easily packable, as in for bike trips etc. I consider .38/9mm to be the bottom line for my power threshold. Soooo looking for any feedback from the experienced regarding accuracy and any other related input, bearing in mind these guns are carried a lot and shot little. Only negative to me so far is the gun only comes with 1 magazine and I consider a spare mandatory.

Add the Springfield XDs to the list......

The LC9 and XDs are almost identical in size - I know alot of people that have traded up from the LC9 to the XDs and have been very happy with the move.

Trigger on the LC9 is very gritty, but you can get work done on it.....

Trigger on the XDs is a pretty heavy pull, which I was not a fan of, but you can get a spring kit for it for $15 or so to lighten it....

Glock will be releasing the 42 in 9mm soon... if you rike grocks....

M&P Shield for a really good trigger out of the box...

Good luck on your choices....

Ohhhh and just say NO to +P ammo hype....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad Ruger went with to striker-fired but if they're anything like the SR series you might as well disassemble and remove the shavings from the striker channel.

I've played with the older LC9's before and besides the long trigger pull they are good pistols BUT.... I'd try out the XDs or the less expensive Bersa BP9cc. Can't say enough good things about the Bersa and it fit me better than the Rugers.

Ruger offers a lot for the money in the LC9. It has a narrow width and is comfortably compact making it more than suitable for conceal carry.

One thing I might suggest if you go with the LC 9 is to get the extended floor plate for the magazines,it gives the "pinky" a good place to rest. That is correct I said magazines. I have no less than four mags for every semi auto I own and I number them. I carry one extra at all times.

I hope this helps.

You will get lots of opinions, like a#* holes we all have one. Ruger builds good strong guns and stands behind them. I know a few that have them and for the designed purpose they are fine. Accurate enough at 25 feet to get the job done . I thought the trigger was shit but like any mass produced weapon there will be good and bad. The laser is nice for the money.

Remember to practice until you're sick of it and them do it some more. The best carry gun is the one you have when you need it and the ability to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed FJRay..... way to many opinions....

I prefer to give options.... I actually don't carry any of those options and am still running my HK P2000 with LEM trigger.

By no means is this weapon a small concealed carry but it works for me....

I have been waiting on more releases of other options for subcompact products to come out for summertime running.

Ruger does make some great guns, I have a few of them - there are some really good trigger kits out there for them if the OP is really leaning heavily towards the LC9....

Happy Hunting for the right CC weapon, practice and be safe !

I had a Kahr CW9 for awhile and while it was excellent quality it just didn't work for me. I keep coming back to my Springfield V10 ultra. It's not really small but neither am I so concealed carry isn't a problem and I really like 1911 .45's.

Many choices out there.

I use a Kahr CW-9. Long trigger pull, but very reliable. Over 10,000 rounds to date, still runs with no problems. Strong spring make disassembly a bit of work. Accurate to 10 meters.

Longrider

Even though I have a CCW, I seem to only carry when LD riding on the FJR.

For a couple years I carried the Smith&Wesson Shield in 9mm. This was an awesome weapon, surprisingly accurate for a 3" barrel, and incredibly small... less than 1" in width!

But then, Springfield Armory came out with the XDs in .45ACP....
punk.gif

So this is the carry weapon of choice nowadays...

Springfield-XD-S_002.jpg

Ruger makes very good guns. For a carry gun the most important thing is reliability, and Rugers are generally reliable. After that the differences between the various reliable handguns are a matter of personal preferences and abilities. For me, it needs to be light or I will leave it home most of the time. It also has to be small enough to conceal easily without having to worry about what clothes I need to wear to cover it. And it has to fit my hand well enough that I can shoot it reasonably accurately.

My carry gun is a KAHR PM9.

I like my S&W Shield for concealed carry. Check out Sneaky Pete holsters for concealment and comfort and not having to worry about what clothes to wear. They are hand made right here in Amer Rica.

I have more Rugers in my arsenal then any other manufacturer. Both rifles and handguns. They are a very good weapons for the price point. Not Kimbers, but shoot as well and seem to hold up well too. I shoot a lot and the hand guns are surprisingly accurate. My favorite carry is the Ruger LCR in .38 Special. Small, light, powerful and easy to shoot when the shit hits the fan. No safety or decocker to mess with, just pull it out and start "pressing" the trigger.
smile.png

I looked at the XDs, that's a lot of 45 to pack in small size, but ultimately liked the XD Mod.2 9m, with the 3" barrel. Not quite as much cannon, but close to a 40, practice ammo is way cheaper, and it is still quite compact.

I like my S&W Shield for concealed carry. Check out Sneaky Pete holsters for concealment and comfort and not having to worry about what clothes to wear. They are hand made right here in Amer Rica.
I also love my M&P shield with a Versacarry concealed carry.

When I was shopping for a compact carry, I rented a LC9, the LCR, as well as a a G26. For me, the Glock was comfortable and familiar, and that's what I went with.

Find somewhere you can put some rounds through one. Either a borrow or rent and put a good solid test drive on it.

I have a Ruger LCP (380) that's great when it's too hot for anything more than shorts and flip flops. The rest of the time I defer to my .45 acp Kimber Pro Carry II. I can live with a pivot-style trigger (like the Ruger or revolvers) but prefer the straight pull of the 1911 design.