Winter Storage RE: Fuel/Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbillet

Reaction score
Hello guys and maybe gals

Fuel :

Just wondering if fuel stabalizer is neccessary on FJR's for winter storage? If so what's some good brands?

RE: Battery

I bought a battery maintainer but should I keep it connected all winter long? Or periodically?

Thanks!

I mix Stabil in a 6 gallon can and then fill my tank to the brim.

I leave my battery tender plugged in all winter.

I put the bike on my lift on the center stand.

I also use Stabil in a full tank.

I do not keep a battery tender connected although I will do a top-up charge about once per month if the bike is not being used. If the battery is in good shape, self-discharge rate is quite low for current technology. Parasitic draw from the FJR is also pretty low - I used to disconnect the battery but don't bother any more.

My bike is in a heated storage area.

I also use Stabil in a full tank.
I do not keep a battery tender connected although I will do a top-up charge about once per month if the bike is not being used. If the battery is in good shape, self-discharge rate is quite low for current technology. Parasitic draw from the FJR is also pretty low - I used to disconnect the battery but don't bother any more.

My bike is in a heated storage area.
OK, thing is my garage isn't heated and it is sometimes a little colder than the outside temp. A Heated garage would be awesome. Thanks!

I also put stabil in the gas and run the bike to allow it to get through the fuel system, then top up the tank.

I don't put a charger on the battery but if we get a warm day in late Feb/early March I'll run the bike until its up to temp to charge it. Cold weather doesn't affect a fully charged Lead Acid battery but if it is discharged it will freeze and be damaged.

My 2006 is still on the original battery although I have a new one on the shelf just in case.

I also keep mine in an unheated garage on the center stand. I usually can't get the bike on the road until late April due to our long Canadian winters!

Unless the bike is going to sit for longer than six months you really don't need fuel stabilizer as long as you fill the tank with non-ethanol fuel (around here that means high test).

I leave the bike on a good quality battery tender and I also get both wheels off the ground to prevent any flat spotting (maybe).

Last edited by a moderator:
Two ounces of Star Tron fuel treatment in a full tank of gas, ethanol gas is all that's available here. Bike on the center stand with a Battery Tender hooked up.

I've switched from Stabil to Seafoam and top up the tank. Also use a Battery Tender, alternating between bikes. Fresh oil before layup to get acidic contaminants out of the crankcase. Dry climate here so I don't worry too much about (salty) condensation in exhausts, etc. A good cleaning is advisable, too, to keep acidic bug guts from eating into clear coat and road de-icer residues from eating metal.

I've switched from Stabil to Seafoam and top up the tank.
I've been curious about that. Have always used Stabil in everything for the winter (used to use Marine formula but it doesn't seem prevalent anymore) but also have cans of Seafoam on the shelf as lately I've been occasionally throwing that in the tank for maintenance. Either one better or worse for fuel storage? Some of the engines sit longer than others btw.

Stabil in the gas and I run the engine to get the mixed fuel into the injectors... I use a battery tender continuously for about 3 weeks out of every month (the 4th week, I use it on the quad). I have the FJR in a heated garage (10 degres celcius). I don't like the idea of starting the bike once in while (more corrosion for the exhaust from condensation).

I remove the battery and charge it once a month in the basement. I don't put any fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

The bike sits for 6 months and starts right up in the Spring.

Since your garage / storage space is unheated, I'd pull the battery and put it on a battery tender in the basement...just cuz!

--G

PS - What is this storage thing y'all are referring to ???
tonguesmiley.gif

j/k

BigOgre-

Sorry I can't address the Seafoam question but I've noticed our local Ace Hardware chain stores here in Northern Michigan have been carrying the Marine version of Stabil. I've always preferred the green Marine version as it addressed the ethanol additives problem (before they updated the pink regular Stabil).

Just thought I'd pass along the Ace Hardware tip in case it's a standard item in the Ace chain of stores out East too.

I have a heated garage so battery stays in. When I had my dealership we filled bikes with no lead avgas when we made them ready to run, this way if they sat there were no ethanol issues. Later we began purchasing no ethanol gas for our tank and added a NAPA gas treatment like Stability directly to our 250 gallon tank.

NJ Winters, both heated and unheated storage - Fill the tank, park it and forgetaboutit. Never had an issue in over 30 years.

I've switched from Stabil to Seafoam and top up the tank.
I've been curious about that. Have always used Stabil in everything for the winter (used to use Marine formula but it doesn't seem prevalent anymore) but also have cans of Seafoam on the shelf as lately I've been occasionally throwing that in the tank for maintenance. Either one better or worse for fuel storage? Some of the engines sit longer than others btw.

I work as a firefighter on a department that is equipped with well over 100 small engines like chain saws, rescue tools, boat motors, generators, pumps and much more. We were constantly having carburetor problems on these engines that may only have been started once a month or more. About seven years ago I was tasked with studying how to prevent gas related problems and coming up with a solution. I spoke to many professionals in the small engine field, along with representatives from Stabil and Seafoam. After gathering this information we decided to switch from Stabil to Seafoam added to a non oxygenated. This change was made along with insuring that all fuel is removed from seldom used engines one a year and replaced with fresh Seafoam treated gas. Stabil guaranties 1 year gas life compared to Seafoam's 2 year gas guaranty with the added benefit of cleaning up lightly fouled carburetors. I think we have experienced a drastic reduction in fuel related small engine problems since switching to Seafoam and non Oxygenated fuels.

... Fresh oil before layup to get acidic contaminants out of the crankcase. ...
I understand that oil accumulates acidic particles from the combustion process, but what's the difference between the oil that becomes acidic over the summer when the vehicle is driven frequently? Does somehow "stirring" it periodically reduce its effect?