Relaxin' and Rallyin' - A Great Start to the New Year!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
We started a tradition the year after my accident of renting a beach house in the Dillon Beach are (about an hour north of San Francisco) over New Year's week/end to close out the year and start the new one relaxed and rejuvenated. This year was no different other than I combined some Big Money Rally fun along with the relaxation!

I headed out NY's Eve day and wound my way via some of my favorite Marin backroads... the day was cool but brilliant with blue skies and bright sun... perfect riding weather!

Found this oldie but goodie that's seen better days...
DSC_7531-XL.jpg

DSC_7535-XL.jpg

DSC_7533-X2.jpg

DSC_7538-X2.jpg

So nice to see the green hills again...
DSC_7542-X2.jpg

Overlooking Tomales Bay on Marshall-Petaluma Rd.
DSC_7543.44%20pano-XL.jpg

Pit stop on Hwy 1 just outside of Tomales...
DSC_7551-X2.jpg

I arrived at the rental house which was already full of friends, unloaded the bike, and got ready for the NY's celebration that evening...
DSC_7580-X2.jpg

Venticular cloud formations... don't see those very often around here...
DSC_7563-X2.jpg

As the sun set, the clouds turned pink and purple...
DSC_7589-X2.jpg

My friend, Val, soaking it all in...
DSC_7566-X2.jpg

Setting sun, day is done...
DSC_7582-X2.jpg

We all managed to stay up until midnight (a feat these days! lol) and toasted the start of a brilliant New Year... the next morning, I was off on my first day of bonus hunting for the BMR... wheeeeeee! Day One took me around the Russian River area which always holds a place in my memories and heart... my grandfather had a vacation home there and we spent many summer days frolicking around Monte Rio and swimming in the river...
DSC_7622-X2.jpg

Last year, I had pitched an idea for a bonus theme to RenoJohn and he liked it so I ran with it... movie locations! It's a great way to find some interesting places and learn a few new factoids too... this is the schoolhouse that was used in the filming "The Birds" in the tiny town of Bodega...
Birds%20schoolhouse.jpg

I headed out Cazadero Rd. to find the post office there... along the way, I saw a bridge and decided to go check it out... lots of green moss growing in the shady spots... something to keep an eye out for on the road too...
DSC_7642-X2.jpg

Which led me to a small one-lane road running along the river... it was a dead end road but looked nice so I decided to traverse it out and back... I stopped at one point to just soak in the moment and views... it's one of the things that I've come to really appreciate about the BMR... gets me out to places I wouldn't normally go and experience very groovy moments in life...
DSC_7631-X2.jpg

It was a great day... next up - Napa wine country!

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention that in the course of my first day out on the rally, Cybil turned over 20K out by the coast... we stopped to celebrate and soak in the views...
20K.jpg

DSC_7645-X2.jpg

DSC_7651-X2.jpg

I had originally planned to take the next day off from riding but had such a great day before that, I decided to split up my bonus hunting originally planned for the ride home and headed for the wine country... first I did a little hunting in town... do you remember what film used this theatre as a filming location?
20150102210601-0102151303a_resized-1024x576.jpg

Another theme is different ways to spell barbeque... and there are a lot of ways!
20150102194101-0102151139_resized-1024x576.jpg

20150102201302-0102151211_resized-1024x576.jpg

Sometimes when you reach a bonus spot, things might be a little different than the image shown... another theme, courthouses... the Napa courthouse was under construction from recent earthquake damage... road was fenced off and almost the entire building covered in tarps... sidewalk traversing is a skill that I've honed on the BMR... ;)
20150102222301-01021514197E2_resized.jpg

Napa wine country... the vines are dormant at the moment but will be blooming again soon...
DSC_7656-XL.jpg

Another theme is universities & colleges... I headed for Angwin in search of Pacific Union College and took one of my favorite little goat roads, Old Howell Mountain Rd which is a little bit like this...
DSC_7670-X2.jpg

And this...
DSC_7661-X2.jpg

The sun was starting to set so I skeedaddled back to Dillon Beach in time to catch the moon rise over the pastures...
DSC_7691-X2.jpg

Next up... rallyin' in San Francisco!

"...experience very groovy moments in life.."

That is sooo you Tyler, and I just love that you share these moments with us. Awesome pics as always.

Seems to me that you've been bitten bad by the rally bug.
punk.gif

Nobody likes you people riding this time of year dammit.....!!!!

your breakin our hearts here.... White and Icy here.... :(

Tyler - great shots and thanks for sharing.... looks like you had a great ride.... I really need to quit my job -- UGH

Thanks, gang... glad to take you along for the ride... so to speak! ;)

The next day it was time to head back for home but not before scarfing up some bonus points along the way... this is the MB001 bonus (Me and my Bike)...
MB001.jpg

It was another brisk day but clear skies again... most of the day's stops were in or near San Francisco and included word bonuses like (I managed to not get caught... :D )...
SanQuentin.jpg

And more movie themes like the GGB used in scenes from Superman and Vertigo to name a few... first from the west side looking back on the city from Conzelman Rd. (fantastic ride over to the Marin Headlands if you're ever in the area)...
GGB2.jpg

And then from down at Fort Point on the other side of the bridge...
GGB.jpg

And what turned out to be kind of a really special stop, the house that was used for the exterior shots for "Mrs. Doubtfire"...
Doubtfire%20house.jpg

It's become a bit of a shrine in some ways... there were lots of folks that would pass by the house and stop and look and reminisce... Robin Williams was an icon in our lifetimes and a really wonderful human being who left us too soon, imo... as I was putting my placard back in the trunk, I spied a bouquet of flowers with some writing next to it on the steps... I moved closer to read the quote and this is what I saw... not sure why but it just touched me really deeply...
RWilliams%20quote.jpg

I stood for a moment and had a few personal reflections before moving on... next stop was Treasure Island to the Administration Bldg that was used as the Berlin "airport" in Indiana Jones...
TreasureIsland.jpg

I had heard that one of the statues that had been used at Burning Man 2010 and was relocated on the island so I rode around for a bit before I found her... at night, there are lights that you can actually control by pushing buttons nearby... she is pretty awesome!
DSC_7701-X2.jpg

DSC_7704-XL.jpg

DSC_7707-XL.jpg

A look across to the Bay Bridge...
DSC_7712-X2.jpg

My last bonus stop for the day, I swung by another movie bonus location which also happens to be my alma mater... the movie "Dangerous Minds" was supposedly based on this high school... I don't remember it being that bad but maybe it was before my time...
Carlmont.jpg

Another great day... one of the things I really enjoy about this rally is there is no time pressure and it takes you places you normally wouldn't go and see things you might miss along the way... and even make some new friends along the way...

Which will come in the next installment... stay tuned! B)