OR WA Lane Sharing Legistlation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, I do know how to spell legislation. I'd correct it if I could figure out how. Or delete the thread and start anew but can't seem to do that either. Sorry.

That's cool. If other states pick this up and specifically allow it, it will gain momentum. Kind of like seatbelt laws and the gradual speed increases from 55 to 75 and 80 we've seen over time. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Good luck to you guys.
punk.gif

Hopefully we can a lot of people behind this and make this happen, this would be a fantastic opportunity for motorcyclist, please spread the word :)

Hopefully we can get a lot of people behind this and make this happen, this would be a fantastic opportunity for motorcyclists, please spread the word
smile.png
+1, Gunny; good luck to Washington and Oregon, we almost had this passed here in Arizona but our Governor vetoed it at the last minute! JSNS, Wicked Witch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would these allow motorcyclists to filter to the front of a traffic light?

Saw a pretty good "rear ender" coming home from office last week. Seems some people don't expect traffic to stop suddenly during rushhour.

If this passes in either or both states, I hope the powers that be invest in a program to educate cagers as to what's happening and how to behave. Might save a few motorcyclists from injury or worse, IMHO.

Would these allow motorcyclists to filter to the front of a traffic light? Saw a pretty good "rear ender" coming home from office last week. Seems some people don't expect traffic to stop suddenly during rushhour.
Since both are state laws, they would apply on all public highways within each State. As long as traffic is stopped or going less than 25mph, you can pass. It would be up to specific governments to restrict it via city codes.

If this passes in either or both states, I hope the powers that be invest in a program to educate cagers as to what's happening and how to behave. Might save a few motorcyclists from injury or worse, IMHO.
Probably not. The Washington bill includes a provision that makes it illegal to intentionally impede a motorcycle from passing within a lane. Oregon's bill has no such provision.

You mean like this?
rolleyes.gif

https://youtu.be/xFW9Pa4V1OY

A lot of noses buried in cell phones is more reason not to wait around at the back of a line of traffic for someone to plow into you. My daughter's boyfriend was rear-ended (in his car) on a freeway off-ramp. It's taken a long time for him to recover from his back pain. And we had a case where a guy fooling with his phone on the freeway plowed into the back of a car and killed two people in the back seat.

And it doesn't hurt that you get home sooner.
biggrinsmiley.gif

That's great news for our fellow riders in the Pacific Northwest. Good luck!

JB

This is a dream come true as I commute in both states living here in Vancouver, Wa or North Portland. My eyes are alway fixed on the mirrors looking for runaway cars coming up behind me.

Place your bike to the side of the lane, in first gear with right foot on the brake for quick get away.

Watch any YouTube video from our cousins overseas to see the benefit of filtering or splitting. Royal Jordanian is the best rider I have ever seen.

You mean like this? :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/xFW9Pa4V1OY

A lot of noses buried in cell phones is more reason not to wait around at the back of a line of traffic for someone to plow into you. My daughter's boyfriend was rear-ended (in his car) on a freeway off-ramp. It's taken a long time for him to recover from his back pain. And we had a case where a guy fooling with his phone on the freeway plowed into the back of a car and killed two people in the back seat.

And it doesn't hurt that you get home sooner. :biggrinsmiley:

That's great news for our fellow riders in the Pacific Northwest. Good luck!

JB
Yes, that's how is done - text book style. Oh please let this happen :)

This is good. A while back I posted about pending legislation here in CA (where it's already legal) that would specify allowable limits for the practice of lane splitting (sharing, if you must, although "splitting" is the term used in the text of the bill, in the California Drivers' Handbook, and formerly on the CHP website guidelines that were removed several months ago).

What I like seeing here is that the Washington and Oregon versions use the exact same standard that has existed here for years, even though it's been unofficial. For years, it was just "generally accepted," then it was put into the CHP guidelines, and now it's in the new legislation. I'm referring specifically to the "10 mph over other traffic" and "35 mph maximum speed" provisions. So it's possible the best case scenario I hoped for may be beginning to take shape, and other states may be beginning to take California's standards as a template for their own law.

We're not there yet, but this is a move in the right direction. And by the way, the CA legislation in my post above is still at a very early stage. It was referred to committee on January 22, step one in a long tedious process. Fingers crossed.

I'm lest optimistic of Oregon's chances than Washington's. Oregon's governor has threatened to veto any legislation that would increase Oregon's speed limits (still 55/65) during his now four-term tenure so I don't see him letting lane sharing pass (pun intended).

Having worked on a few bills over the years in Washington I would suggest those interested in WA passage would consider:

• Look up the details of the bill, see if the legislator(s) on the sponsor page are yours, and reach out to them.
  • Look up other members of the committee its referred to, Transportation, and see if you have any legislators on them to reach out to. The first real test will be if it gets a hearing or not.
  • The chair of the Transportation Committee is not signed on to the bill. Rep. Clibborn is a strong leader in charge of an important committee. Getting her on board would obviously help.
  • "Not Officially read and referred until adoption of Introduction report". That's likely an indicator its not even officially in the committee yet.

Things working for this bill:

• One of the sponsors, Cary Condotta, owned a Yamaha dealership in Wenatchee.
  • Two of the sponsors are on the Transportation committee. One is Vice Chair (they seem to have tons of them on this committee), Luis Moscoso, He serves the Bothel area.
Other things that would help the bill:

• Support from the WSP/law enforcement...or at least not oppose it. I think this point has been the biggest challenge over the years.
  • Other legislators that have police background or experience supporting the bill.
  • What's the Senate side look like? Similar bill pending?

Latest posts