Back on the FJR - first ride on new 2014 FJR 1300A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndivita

Reaction score
For over a year I was the owner of a nicely appointed, low mileage 2008 Gold Wing. I could never bond with it. It made me feel old even though I know that is all in my head. Before I bought that bike I had a really bad left hip, then I had a very successful hip replacement surgery last summer that makes me feel about 20 years younger. I'm very fortunate in that respect. I've worked hard to get myself back in shape and fit again. It makes riding a motorcycle that much more fun and way easier on the body.

Before owning the Wing, I owned a couple of FJRs. A 2005 and a 2013. Both were great bikes but I'll always have a soft spot for the 2005 model.

Long story short, I sold the Wing in November. A month later, I took delivery of a new 2014 FJR 1300A.

Today we were blessed with mild weather in the high 60s and low 70s in Kansas City. So I took the new bike out for its first honest-to-goodness ride. Man oh man. It felt like old times again but in the best way possible.

This bike is super smooth, super responsive, dropdead gorgeous, quicker than I ever remember. Everything is just where it is supposed to be and it just fits like your most comfortable pair of shoes. Color me a happy camper.

She now has all of 77 miles on the odo. I am a mahout no longer. I'm a jockey again!

Welcome back. Curious how you felt the '13 compared to the '14 since you said you preferred the '05 to the '13?

A couple of years ago we forced my then 67 year old dad to ride my cousin's 2008 GoldWing. He fussed, he griped, he whined, he bitched. The incessant crying into my headset finally forced me to pull over and put him back on his FJR. His wonderful assessment of the GoldWing was, "By the time I am old enough to want to ride a GoldWing, I will be too old to ride a GoldWing."

Good luck with your '14. I am a fan of the Candy Red color. It looks almost as good as the '15.
smile.png

Very glad to hear the hip thing went the way it's suppposed too and changed your life for the better. Wish my mom's knee replacements would have done the same. But your (our) bike is and looks fantastic. It Screams Candy Red. I've come to the conclusion there are only two types of FJR owner. Those whom own a Candy Red 2014,,, and those whom wish they did!!!!! ( Is 'whom' correct or could it be 'who'?? That's the ONLY part of that sentence I am not sure about. Someone who(m) fared better in English, feel free to respond. Lol.. And I left work for a few minutes myself today and rode my bike. 70ish and sun. Damn, it felt good.

I'm sure the 2013 model was every bit the bike the 2014 model is but for the cruise control limitation. But somehow having been without the FJR for over a year makes me appreciate the 2014 model in ways I probably never appreciated the earlier versions. This 2014 bike just seems totally sorted out to me. If feels like an extension of myself not something I'm "operating." Yeah I need or want a new windscreen and a top case but the seat feels good and with minor farkling, it is a bike I expect to have for very long time provided my body cooperates and Providence allows.

I could have had the ES model but for a rider of my skill and aggression level, it would have been largely a wasted feature. 98% of my riding is solo.

Using the $$$ I did not spend on farkles. 😀

It Screams Candy Red I have a boyfriend. I've come to the conclusion there are only two types of FJR owner. Those whom own any year besides the Candy Red 2014,,, and those whom wish they could get pink pinstripes and riding gear with lace and flowers!!!!! ( Is 'whom' correct or could it be 'who'?? That's the ONLY part of that sentence I am not sure about. Someone who(m) fared better in English, feel free to respond.
Okay, I fixed it for you.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything is just where it is supposed to be and it just fits like your most comfortable pair of shoes.
Welcome back home and congrats on the new '14.

No matter which new wiz-bang model I ride, this ^^^^ is exactly why the FJR works, nicely said!

--G